INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brown Rice Pasta

3 posters

Go down

Brown Rice Pasta Empty Brown Rice Pasta

Post by ferret Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Can anyone recommend a Brown Rice Pasta (available at Superlake) that has a more pleasing texture? My hubby can't eat gluten any more and tonight I tried the Hodgson Mill brown rice spaghetti. It was a disaster and was so starchy that it resembled glue. I think porridge covered with spaghetti sauce would have been more palatable. Any help or comments about preparation would be appreciated. Life without pasta is gonna be dull.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Brown Rice Pasta Empty Re: Brown Rice Pasta

Post by Hensley Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 am

Try this site, we had pizza last night and they are so good, no flour, also the Spinach lasagne is the best I have ever had. You can get almond flour at the kitchen store next to Gossips.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:41 am

Julie, I just want to know the name of a brand of brown rice pasta that doesn't cook up like it's glue. There are a number of brands available at Superlake but I don't really want to try them all.
I'm looking for a tip on the brand or a tip on the cooking method.
Thanks anyway.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:17 am

Ferret! I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with celiac and have been through it all and out the other side! You'll/he'll be ok, I promise. You have to cook and you have to be a little creative but life will be just as good as before. (example: I microplane potatoes, pat the water out and flatten them flat, fry, then I make breakfast burritos out of them instead of flour tortilla)

I too started out with the glue gunk that you did, and have tried most of the ones SL has. Hands down the best is Tenkyada but for some reason Pancho isn't reordering it and all that is available now is the lasagna. It's expensive! I find the quinoa and corn elbows and shells just fine. Taste frequently while cooking until it's done and after draining rinse with plain water. Store leftovers tightly as they tend to dry out.

BUT, hold on, I have discovered all the Asian rice noodles and they are fantastic and cost a fraction of what the other stuff costs. There is one, currently out of now at SL because I bought them all, that is flat and wide and they turn out silky and delish! I rarely bother with the others now, the Asian rice noodles are so much better.

You know about the GF bread, right? Chex are about it for cereal, corn is the best tasting.

Watch out for restaurants! Tortillas and chips can only be 100% maize, most of the rice in Mexican restaurants contains Knorr chix stock which is loaded with gluten. Salad dressings can be dangerous, make your own or use oil and balsamic in restaurants. SL currently has a Kikoman GF soy sauce or you can use Tamari for Asias cooking. Beware Hunts condiments, Heinz is gluten free tho.

Lots of info on the forum at Celiac.com. There is a terrific "Gluten Free Grocery Guide" available and I use it frequently. Lacking that, I find that I can just ask google - example - is Hershey chocolate gluten free ect and you will get tons of info.

Send me a PM if you want more info.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks Trailrunner...really good info!
It's a challenge all right. I cracked up when I read your comment "been through it all and out the other side"...sorry, black humour :).
This is all because of the massive doses of antibiotics that he needed to get rid of Helicobacter pylori (should be called HELLicobacter pylori). Totally screwed up his digestive system and he has lost 80 pounds since March 1st.
No lactose, no gluten, no glucose...but this has been the best week in a long time. Sent him to Dr. Youcha (chiropracter) who can manipulate the valve at the bottom of the stomach and who is also incredibly knowledgeable about Chinese medicine. Long story short...threw out all the medicines prescribed for "symptoms". Best week yet.
We will survive!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down