INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WRITING SKILLS

+13
Mainecoons
hockables
Axixic
seisdedos
E-raq
Chico
gringal
jackak10
MexicoPete
Parker
viajero
CheenaGringo
GBATRUCKS
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WRITING SKILLS Empty WRITING SKILLS

Post by GBATRUCKS Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:56 am

CheenaGringo wrote, in response to one of my fantasy-tonic induced rants,
"...and while you are at it, please learn to spell and compose sentences in a proper manner."
Similar comments have been made by others about other posters. This got me thinking & it seems to me we need to keep blogs in perspective. We are not writing the great American novel or a technical document. If we were, what we wrote would probably be reviewed and corrected by a proof reader & editor. These forums are more like a verbal conversation. Notice that even professional news commentators use interjections such as "uh" , etc. Non-professional interviewees will stumble along with "like, you know," etc. Some of us, Hound Dog in particular, can wax eloquently on damm near any topic...I have to stop & think about the proper use of affect and effect...I finally got to & too, there & their down pretty good...but for blogs like this I resort to the lazy technique,... three dot journalism.

BTW is a spell-check available here?
WRITING SKILLS 374777

GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

WRITING SKILLS Empty Re: WRITING SKILLS

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:39 am

GBA TRUCKS:

Yes, I did make that lighthearted jab in response to a somewhat nasty rant on your part. It was intended to diffuse the "rancor" being exhibited by yourself and nothing more. I doubt that there exists a member of this forum who hasn't misspelled a word, had an honest typo or used poor grammar in any number of posts. However, when one posts in anger, mistakes usually crop up in greater numbers.

To answer your question on spell check, I would speculate that it depends on your browser and what add-ons or tools you have activated. Personally, I use Firefox and when I misspell something (very frequently) a red line appears below the word. Naturally if one chooses the wrong word that is still correctly spelled (ie. there vs their), this tool will be of no help.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 am

I like the spel czech feeture on mexconnect.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I cut and paste a lot (Ctrl c for cut & Ctrl v for paste) from my word documents program; it has a spell checker and other handy devices. :)

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23 pm

I usually write something, look at it, think it's right and post it.

Then 9 times out of 10, I'll read it on line, and find things that need to be changed.

I look at it this way, I aint perfect, not even close :) I'll do my best and then learn from those who choose to correct my errors.

We should start posting messages like the kids do on their cell phones. "You know" becomes "U no" . , FYI Etc. That would really get the English teachers here going :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:33 pm

MexicoPete wrote:I usually write something, look at it, think it's right and post it.

Then 9 times out of 10, I'll read it on line, and find things that need to be changed.

I look at it this way, I aint perfect, not even close :) I'll do my best and then learn from those who choose to correct my errors.

We should start posting messages like the kids do on their cell phones. "You know" becomes "U no" . , FYI Etc. That would really get the English teachers here going :)
"ain't" has an apostrophe in it.

hehe.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm

I think it's more important to have something to say rather than nitpicking about how it is said, but lawd helpus, let's not get into the kind of communication that the average teenager seems to need, reportedly about 125 "messages" per day, each, all about the incredibly important little moments in their lives. Fortunately, most of them outgrow it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I think comments like this, regardless of how they are meant, are in extremely poor taste and will defintely make folks who do not have an excellent grasp of the English language, stay away from this board, including Mexicans. Hope that is not the direction we want to take. chico

Last edited by Chico on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Comments like what?
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:23 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:Comments like what?

The bold print post in your O.P. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Agreed.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:Agreed.

CheenaGringo wrote,
"...and while you are at it, please learn to spell and compose sentences in a proper manner.
"

Me too.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm

jackak10 wrote:
MexicoPete wrote:I usually write something, look at it, think it's right and post it.

hehe.

Should I repeat how jackak should rightly be spelled????
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:16 pm

E-raq wrote:
jackak10 wrote:

hehe.

Since you don't even know what "jackak" is, go right ahead.

P.S. the "ain't" comment was a joke, obviously lost on you.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:18 pm

jackak10 wrote:
E-raq wrote:
jackak10 wrote:

hehe.

Since you don't even know what "jackak" is, go right ahead.

P.S. the "ain't" comment was a joke, obviously lost on you.

Chill out, just joking, obviously lost on you. Beer
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm

The first thing the OP might want to learn is the difference between a blog, which this isn't and a message board, which this is.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:34 pm

seisdedos wrote:The first thing the OP might want to learn is the difference between a blog, which this isn't and a message board, which this is.

What has this got to do with anything and why should it matter to anyone? Shit stirring

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Parker wrote:
seisdedos wrote:The first thing the OP might want to learn is the difference between a blog, which this isn't and a message board, which this is.

What has this got to do with anything and why should it matter to anyone? Shit stirring

What has this got to do with anything you ask? Did you even read the OP? Do you have a clue about what this thread is about?

seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:10 pm

seisdedos wrote:
Parker wrote:

What has this got to do with anything you ask? Did you even read the OP? Do you have a clue about what this thread is about?

I have highlighted what I believe to be the essence of GBA Trucks post.

…Similar comments have been made by others about other posters. This got me thinking & it seems to me we need to keep blogs in perspective. We are not writing the great American novel or a technical document. If we were, what we wrote would probably be reviewed and corrected by a proof reader & editor. These forums are more like a verbal conversation. Notice that even professional news commentators use interjections such as "uh" , etc. Non-professional interviewees will stumble along with "like, you know," etc. Some of us, Hound Dog in particular, can wax eloquently on damm near any topic...I have to stop & think about the proper use of affect and effect...I finally got to & too, there & their down pretty good...but for blogs like this I resort to the lazy technique,... three dot journalism.

You can’t seem to answer even a simple question in any kind of civility, why is this?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I am starting to get the big picture - Parker & GBA TRUCKS professing laziness when it comes to their posting skills! Could they both be "lost in the cornflakes"?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Parker wrote:
You can’t seem to answer even a simple question in any kind of civility, why is this?

I am getting the impression you are a Solovino stalker. Can't figure out your obsession. Should I be flattered at this unsought attention? I find it kind of freaky.

It was you that responded in a negative way to my first post on this thread with that stupid little shit stirring icon when I simply pointed out that there is a difference between a blog and a message board. Besides uncivil, it was an amazingly stupid question, Amy Lee.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am

seisdedos wrote:
Parker wrote:

I am getting the impression you are a Solovino stalker. Can't figure out your obsession. Should I be flattered at this unsought attention? I find it kind of freaky.

It was you that responded in a negative way to my first post on this thread with that stupid little shit stirring icon when I simply pointed out that there is a difference between a blog and a message board. Besides uncivil, it was an amazingly stupid question, Amy Lee.
OOOH...Someone has had their widdle feewings hurt! Do you need a hug? Maybe both of them suffer from short-penis syndrom...if you don't have any substance, try to make it up with style. Seeing as how I do have a life outside this inter-web thingy, I may have missed the distinction between blogs & message boards. Many don't understand the difference between the internet & an intranet, but most of us wouldn't try to impress everybody by correcting a miss-use of those words if it were not important to the subject. So, roll on correcting minor mistakes...It only makes you look like pompus asses. Parker, I plan to just ignore these twits in the future.

Shit stirring WRITING SKILLS 501432 Shit stirring WRITING SKILLS 501432
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 am

Didn't we pretty well exhaust this topic in the "Language Nazis" thread a couple of weeks ago?
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 am

GBATRUCKS wrote:
seisdedos wrote:
Parker wrote:

OOOH...Someone has had their widdle feewings hurt! Do you need a hug? Maybe both of them suffer from short-penis syndrom...if you don't have any substance, try to make it up with style. Seeing as how I do have a life outside this inter-web thingy, I may have missed the distinction between blogs & message boards. Many don't understand the difference between the internet & an intranet, but most of us wouldn't try to impress everybody by correcting a miss-use of those words if it were not important to the subject. So, roll on correcting minor mistakes...It only makes you look like pompus asses. Parker, I plan to just ignore these twits in the future.

Shit stirring WRITING SKILLS 501432 Shit stirring WRITING SKILLS 501432

My feelings hurt? Hardly. More important than writing skills, some people like yourself and Amy Lee need to improve your comprehension skills. Because you guys just don't seem to have a clue.

You two deserve each other.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 am

Sleep
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder