INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FACEBOOK LOVE

+8
MexicoPete
CheenaGringo
espĂ­ritu del lago
ferret
E-raq
juanrey
johninajijic
gringal
12 posters

Go down

FACEBOOK LOVE Empty FACEBOOK LOVE

Post by gringal Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:31 am

Mexico Pete made a long comment on the Found Pet thread on this subject, and I didn't want to hijack the topic, so here's the gist of it. Pete stays in touch with his family and friends on Facebook, and obviously likes the system although he says they're careful what they say. Correct me if I missed your meaning, Pete.

Here's my take on it:
Pete, if it works for you, by all means do it and enjoy it. I do wonder why your feel the need to be careful on there. Who's watching? Well.......everybody. lol.

For me, when I want to contact my relatives, one at a time, I write them an email, telephone them or even resort to snail mail if they don't have internet.
Both sides of my family and my husband's have had family reunions more than once and we're all over the country NOB.

IMO, Facebook is the ultimate expression of the concept written about in "1984", with the difference being that we have not only voluntarily invited Big Brother into our homes.....we've set him up with his own room and regular meals.

Yesterdays' news tells us that the latest acquisition of Facebook will allow them to identify anyone whose picture has been taken on your handy cell phone, (with or without their permission) through advanced new face recognition software. From there......all other background facts about this person will become available.

Frankly, this all gives me a case of the creeps, like having my body explored at the airline terminal. What next? The Borg? I am realistic enough to realize that my feeble protest is useless, however. We will be assimilated. Babies will get their bar codes.

Incidentally.....has anyone noted the article mentioning how many things have been blocked from Google by the ....(guess who?) ....government. (USA)?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

FACEBOOK LOVE Empty Re: FACEBOOK LOVE

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 am

Facebook is a total piece of crap for posters who have nothing better to do with their time. I cannot be bothered with it. So happy that I didn't buy their IPO and Mark Zuckerberg ended up with sh*t on his face. Greedy SOB.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 am

The thing that amazes me is that there are two groups of people
1. The people who like and use Facebook
2. The people who don't use and hate FB and think it is an intrusion on their privacy and a waste of time.

What I never hear from the folks that I know who use FB, is comments that put the non-users down. They use it, they like it and that's it.

But what I do hear & see are all the people who don't use FB saying it is a waste of time and a whole lot of other things about privacy and whatever.

Like most things, different strokes for different folks, but why all the negativity about something that has really had an impact on society overall and can be quite a nice tool for those that choose to use it.

I'm not digging at anyone on this, so don't take my comments personal, it's just an observation I thought of when I read the above two posts.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree completely here. Look around, people on mood enhancing medications, virtual living, planned parenthood, test tube babies and now the new euthanasia movement in some countries and one is instantly reminded of Brave New World (Aldous Huxley).

Then there's Facebook. Never were truer words spoken gringal. Our big brother is the computer screen, and its sidekick the television, for downloading our daily propaganda. (We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming) that gives me the creeps BTW.We no longer need the two minutes of hate and Emmanual Goldstein, we have a multitude of potential candidates for that. There's something for everyone. Orwell would be turning over in his grave. Oh yes, the kiddies love it and have absolutely no concept of privacy, no big deal to them.

As for the borg, well a lot of kids are seemingly connected to the borg already via computer games. Then there's CGI, computer generated imaging. The big question of the day is this, what is real?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Everybody's different. No one will ever agree on this subject. We've been asked to join facebook, linkedin etc. The kids use it...we won't and I happen to agree with Gringal on the invasion of privacy that is possible. But I also think they're screening e-mails.
I prefer pc's to mac's. I like sunrises AND sunsets. I like pictures of snow but hate the real deal.
Each to his/her own.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I'll get extremely negative by saying it's about the Koolaid. Drink it or not; your choice. If a whole herd of lemmings heads over the cliff, that's also their choice.

What we can learn easily is what Facebook is really about, and how they make money. They sell information. Your personal information....all they can get. Now, if that's all right with you........go for it.

Hey...everybody, from the gov't on down, is screening emails. If you want a private conversation, make like MI6 and talk next to a waterfall.
Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:03 pm

They sell information. Your personal information....all they can get. Now, if that's all right with you........go for it.

And Google and Bing isn't ?? Shocked
espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Of course they are. Anyone who doubts it will be amazed at how much Google knows about you if you google yourself.

I am also surprised that they don't know more, considering........but then, they're not perfect. lol.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:53 pm

I wonder what percentage of the people willing to use their personal photo as an avatar also belong to Facebook?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:55 pm

FACEBOOK, FACEBOOK, FACEBOOK

Thank you for your kind words of support John .

We are dating ourselves because we are still using that outdated method of communicating called email. Many of the under 60 crowd and even more of the under 50 crowd use instant messaging, or video VOIPing, Facebook Chat, Etc. And no longer email unless they have to. I still like to email.

Facebook is just one of many many methods of communicating. This forum "Inside Lakeside" is another method of communicating. And I guess because I’m older, I like this forum much better than Facebook, and I would rather read a real magazine or a real book than read it on a Kindle or my iPad, as I am forced to do sometimes. I’m old fashioned

It’s really up to you which tools you choose. I spend much more time searching for and playing with new “Apps” on my iPhone and iPad than I spend on Facebook. And unlike some, I bet that I don't spend more than 1% or 2% of my computer time on Facebook. But I wouldn’t give up my Facebook account because it’s a useful tool to communicate with a small group of relatives and friends

And gosh it's amazing how many friends I have had in the past who have used the Facebook search engine to make contact with me and visa versa. Facebook is just one of many useful tools of communication. And it’s up to you to choose which ones you wish to use.

PS: Just read your post Neil. That's a good question. I wonder what the answer is. Most of my friends on Facebook have their photos on line.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I use Facebook for all my contact with family and friends. Then again, I use my real avatar, am under 50, am not paranoid and have nothing to hide.........jajajajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 pm

O.K. over 50, hell I'm well over 60, not paranoid, have nothing to hide, but unlike the younger crowd I value my privacy. Something which is sadly being lost to the polluting influence of wifi signals, Facebook, Twitter, and linkedin. Whatever happened to one's personal space, personal information and the mystique of not knowing everything there is to know about another person?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:46 pm

E-raq wrote:O.K. over 50, hell I'm well over 60, not paranoid, have nothing to hide, but unlike the younger crowd I value my privacy. Something which is sadly being lost to the polluting influence of wifi signals, Facebook, Twitter, and linkedin. Whatever happened to one's personal space, personal information and the mystique of not knowing everything there is to know about another person?

WHAT privacy? It disappeared like 20 years ago. Anybody who thinks anybody can get away with anything and have one shred of privacy left is sadly mistaken. Staying away from Facebook, Twitter etc. to maintain your privacy is merely a symbolic act, like a one-man silent protest.

Face reality, people. You ever checked yourself out on http://pipl.com/? Well, don't do it unless you want your sense of reality totally bashed in.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

merry wrote:
E-raq wrote:O.K. over 50, hell I'm well over 60, not paranoid, have nothing to hide, but unlike the younger crowd I value my privacy. Something which is sadly being lost to the polluting influence of wifi signals, Facebook, Twitter, and linkedin. Whatever happened to one's personal space, personal information and the mystique of not knowing everything there is to know about another person?

WHAT privacy? It disappeared like 20 years ago. Anybody who thinks anybody can get away with anything and have one shred of privacy left is sadly mistaken. Staying away from Facebook, Twitter etc. to maintain your privacy is merely a symbolic act, like a one-man silent protest.

Face reality, people. You ever checked yourself out on http://pipl.com/? Well, don't do it unless you want your sense of reality totally bashed in.

Merry

Zip all Merry, I don't even exist according to them.

Those of us who have managed to conserve our privacy have no worries whatsoever.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Yes but you have an alternate twin under your former forum username - 67 year old female from Chicago searching for men. HA!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:01 pm

merry wrote:

Merry

Searched out several names, all information incorrect. Are people really believing this “Junk”? If so we’re in big trouble. I suppose this means we can all write any scenario we want to help or hinder anyone.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Yes but you have an alternate twin under your former forum username - 67 year old female from Chicago searching for men. HA!

Really? And was that you on America's most wanted list????? Very Happy

Beer
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:13 pm

I think E-raq expressed it well. It's not about thinking young or having something to hide or being paranoid.

When Facebook is referred to as a "tool" it's a misnomer. My "tools" do not take flight and report back to either Big Brother or Big Corp.
They stay put. The programs like Adobe Photoshop are TOOLS. Word processing software is a TOOL. Single user games like Scrabble are either Tools or Toys.
FACEBOOK is not a tool. It is a communications device, like the telephone. In the case of social networking sites, it's a conference call with untold points of contact.

Pipl.com and the like can only come up with that which you or public records have provided Don't ascribe omnipotence just yet. It will no doubt come within most of our lifetimes, however.........so Merry may well be correct in the long run. In any case, I've been SPAMMED out already, but don't intend to feed the beast on purpose.

Last edited by gringal on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm certainly not attacking those who don't wish to use FB, but the Googles & FB's & Linked In's and the like only get as much information about you as what you put out there.
Buying habits & proclivities can be deduced from the searches you make and the sites you visit. So, who cares? Advertisers think that they have an inside track with knowing such things, but using Ad Blockers I never see them.

I am willing to bet that more people get their ID's stolen based on hacked databases, misplaced laptops and such as they do on FB or the other social media sites.

It's all in what you are comfortable with.

juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:24 pm

I have never heard of anyone being screwed by Facebook unless they have posted some ridiculous crap that they should never have posted in the first place. For me it is a great way to communicate with all my family and friends in one easy spot. No, I don't post anything that could ever or would ever be used against me.

Besides, for 5000 pesos anyone can have a completely new ID and disappear.....no problemo.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I have never heard of anyone being screwed by Facebook unless they have posted some ridiculous crap that they should never have posted in the first place. For me it is a great way to communicate with all my family and friends in one easy spot. No, I don't post anything that could ever or would ever be used against me.

Besides, for 5000 pesos anyone can have a completely new ID and disappear.....no problemo.

See and you even wear sunglasses and a hat so the new facial recognition software can't figure out who you are.

Too funny,
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Jajajajaja......like looking in a mirror, eh?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:00 pm

I have to wonder how many people who had given themselves "border promotions" when moving to Mexico then got tripped up when they signed up for Facebook?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 pm

merry wrote:

Merry
Well I'll be damned,at least all their data on me was over ten years old,I must have left a cold trail on the way south.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down