INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE

+10
Abrria
Lehrer
elgringo
simpsca
gringal
oncesubtle
ferret
Mcee
Carry Bean
Jim W
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE

Post by Jim W Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:31 pm

NOBbest!!! :(

Last edited by Jim W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty Re: FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE

Post by Carry Bean Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:00 pm

That's really sad. I wonder if he felt he was a burden to your good wife. I'm sure she didn't feel that but he might have. I hope he's OK & won't try that again.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty Re: FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE

Post by Jim W Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Thank You, Carry

Last edited by Jim W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcee Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:29 am

A doctor providing a credit card for a patient?! It wouldn't happen NOB no matter what.......wow!

Mcee

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:19 am

This is an incredibly sad situation and bless your wife for looking out for him. I know that her heart was in the right place and I applaud the Doctor for stepping up as well.
I read this post last night and slept on this response but I'm going to type it anyway...and I don't know the kind of medical issues involved nor the patient's history...it is just my personal humble opinion.
When and if, I decide to check out, I hope that nobody stops me. I will have researched and understood all the options but I DO NOT want anyone to interfere with the decision that I have made. I will not involve anyone else in my decision and now, I sure as hell won't be making any phone calls to let anyone know. I will send an e-mail card to be sent on a certain date to those I love so I'll be found in a timely manner.
Those are the potential plans. I have read the book "Final Exit"...until then, I plan on enjoying life to the fullest and will probably be around for another 20 years or so.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:26 am

That's great advice Jim and I think you and your wife deserve a humanitarian medal for your efforts, you sure earned it. But in lieu of a medal will a margarita do?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 am

Ferret's post was good: to the point.
The point, of course, is that some attempted suicides are a call for help and not really intended to end in death.
Others are the real deal.....and that is a decision that should be left to stand, IMO.

Notifying others of your intentions probably puts it in the first category. In this case, it put some other people in a very tough place. Bless them for their kindness, however.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 pm

[quote="oncesubtle"]:

Last edited by Jim W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:21 pm

[quote="gringal"]Ferret's post was good: to

Last edited by Jim W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 pm

"Yesterday, a mutual friend NOB, called us and said he had just received a call, and it was a good bye as he is checking out of here."

I agree with your suggestion. It's a good one.

What I gathered from the above quote, however, was that the man intended to commit suicide, and I don't think there are any instructions he could have left to that effect which would be considered binding. Did I misunderstand?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Gringal....you out

Last edited by Jim W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:21 pm

So.......now that his life was saved through the generous offices of his friends, with the help of Dr. Leon.........is he glad to be alive, or does his wish he were dead? I'm just curious.

I completely agree that we should provide for emergencies, including access to funds.

A situation happened to two friends of mine about a year ago. They were neighbors, and one became very ill. The other drove her into Guad for special tests after she wasn't getting better, and there, she passed out on the way to the hospital. She died in the critical care unit. It turned into a financial nightmare for the neighbor. The hospital wouldn't even release the body without the bill being paid. The woman's children were in the States. I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but nobody wants that kind of experience to happen to their friends. We should all prepare.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Actually...he is happy to be

Last edited by Jim W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty So sorry about your friend

Post by simpsca Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Jim, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Depression after a major illness is common and can be devastating. If he is in his mid 70's he still has a lot of life left. I can imagine the state your wife is in.

And I agree with you, any hospital is better than IMSS. I hope your friend pulls through.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by elgringo Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 am

Sorry to hear about your friend, however I am with Ferret, I think when you are tired and ready to give up the fight then you should be able to go like your friend did. I know that is the way I would want to go
elgringo
elgringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:55 am

Am I to understand from some of these comments that IMSS does not cover ambulance transport by Red Cross? [I always was told that "Red Cross" is free, but that they expect a "donation"!] That blood transfusions are not covered by IMSS? WTF??? I'm confused.
scratch
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Lehrer wrote:Am I to understand from some of these comments that IMSS does not cover ambulance transport by Red Cross? [I always was told that "Red Cross" is free, but that they expect a "donation"!] That blood transfusions are not covered by IMSS? WTF??? I'm confused.
scratch

You're not the only one. I'm lost in the cornflakes here. I thought IMSS covered things like blood transfusions.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 pm

He was taken by ambulance from Red Cross in Chapala to Santa Maria Hospital in Chapalita, when it was deternined they had the antidote for halcion OD.

Since he had no insurance, he was stabalized, and transferred to Hospital Civil in GDL. Medical staff is similar to IMSS, as most Doctors spend 2 years working in this sector, prior to going on their own....At least this is my understanding. This hospital turns no patient away.

Sorry for the confusion.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty Friends without family

Post by Abrria Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:12 pm

I attended a presentation on 7/15, at LCS about the Jalisco law (?) (not sure if this law is only for Jalisco or a Federal one) about what we would call in the US, "Advanced Health Care Directive." I was very impressed by the work that was put into this. I would encourage people to look at this web site because it does deal with the medical issue that someone can be authorized to make health care decisions if you are incapacitated. Web site is: www.lakesidelifemanagement.org

IMHO those of us who live alone should have people check in on a regular basis to make sure we are OK. I feel that it is important to make available the names and phone numbers of those people who should be contacted in event of an emergency. It just makes things so much easier if our friends have this kind of info.

Abrria
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty Friends without family

Post by Abrria Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 am

Abrria wrote:I attended a presentation on 7/15, at LCS about the Jalisco law (?) (not sure if this law is only for Jalisco or a Federal one) about what we would call in the US, "Advanced Health Care Directive." I was very impressed by the work that was put into this. I would encourage people to look at this web site because it does deal with the medical issue that someone can be authorized to make health care decisions if you are incapacitated. Web site is: www.lakesidelifemanagement.org

IMHO those of us who live alone should have people check in on a regular basis to make sure we are OK. I feel that it is important to make available the names and phone numbers of those people who should be contacted in event of an emergency. It just makes things so much easier if our friends have this kind of info.

I just received an email that some (?) of the information presented at LCS was incorrect. As soon as I find out what the corrections are I will post them.

Abrria
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty Do you need help with your friend Jim?

Post by simpsca Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Jim and Dee,

Do you need help with your friend? If you need something in particular, PM me and I will post on all the web boards - I post on 4 including this one.

What town does your friend live in? I can bring a meal once a week and there are probably others who will help as well (meed to know what he likes and any food allergies. Someone to read to him or play a game - don't know what condition he is in. You can PM me with what you feel you need help with. Probably best for people to speak with you or your wife first and get good details.

Does he have to replace blood - if so I can post that. And if so who would be in charge of lining up donors and taking them in. One of the problems with Tony was that I got different information from Tony vs his doctor. Don't know if it was the language thing or what.

Carolyn
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

FRIENDS WITHOUT FAMILY...THERE ARE MANY HERE Empty IMSS and Blood

Post by simpsca Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:12 pm

To the person who posted about IMSS, I don't know about the ambulance and if IMSS has a service they pay for to their hospital.

I do know that if you need a blood transfusion for scheduled surgery, you have to provide the donors for the amount they expect you need and in the type you need. If you read several other posts on this board and every other web board lakeside, you will see many of us helped to find blood donors for Tony's open heart surgery. He needs 10 donors - 10 pints - and has to have it the day of or immediately before surgery. If the IMSS doesn't have it they delay the surgery. For some reason they do not stock blood at IMSS prior to surgery. Every other hospital will give you the transfusion you need and you have to find donors to replace it later - you can pay someone to donate which is what many people do. In one case the person moved his friend to a different hospital (out of IMSS) so that he could receive the blood he needed.

At least two of us on this board have experience with friends in IMSS who needed critical surgery and it was a nightmare for both of us who had to advocate for our friends.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:24 pm

simpsca wrote:Jim and Deb,

Do you need help with your friend? If you need something in particular, PM me and I will post on all the web boards - I post on 4 including this one.

What town does your friend live in? I can bring a meal once a week and there are probably others who will help as well (meed to know what he likes and any food allergies. Someone to read to him or play a game - don't know what condition he is in. You can PM me with what you feel you need help with. Probably best for people to speak with you or your wife first and get good details.

Does he have to replace blood - if so I can post that. And if so who would be in charge of lining up donors and taking them in. One of the problems with Tony was that I got different information from Tony vs his doctor. Don't know if it was the language thing or what.

Carolyn

Carolyn, You are very kind to offer. At this point Dr. determined he needs 6 units of blood, however, they are trying to determine reason he is not generating more blood, as he had 4 units 2 months ago. He lives in Villa Nova, and more importantly, do you, or anyone reading this thread know who to contact for in home care, and approx. cost?

He is still @ Hospital Civil in GDL.....This hospital turns no one away, 75 pesos admission, plus cost determined by ability to pay. I was shocked after our last experience @ IMSS, this hospital provides and changes linnens....no pillow, provides meals, and sponge bath by staff. I think he likes this lol!

Fortunately, he is AB Positive....making him a universal recipient....after blood test Sunday....He claimed to be B Neg. I believe this reinforces my reason for starting this thread....All people living alone without family, especially in Mexico, should communicate, have an advocate, or at a minimum, a copy of their directives taped above thier telephone, for emergencies.

He is doing better, although I find humor in the fact that Santa Maria Hospital lost his pants, and we transported him in a hospital gown, via taxi, to Hospital Civil in GDL lol! We are most hopeful for a positive outcome.

Thanks again....Jim n Deb
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 pm

lakesidecare@yahoo.com

Ron & Sarah

045-331-410-8776
Jocotepec Jalisco
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Does Lakeside care provide in home assistance, and please provide approx. cost...pm would be great.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next