INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

+11
brigitte
Flamingo
E-raq
plumlake
joec
binky
CheenaGringo
David
Zedinmexico
Trailrunner
coffeeguy
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities Empty Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

Post by coffeeguy Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 am

Very entertaining blog post...you'll note lots of similarities. Cheaper there than here, but the food situation alone would rule it out for me (guinea pig as the epitome of haut cuisine? no thanks):

http://danoinec.blogspot.mx/2012/09/here-vs-there.html

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities Empty Re: Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 am

I read his whole blog yesterday, thanks for putting him up on FB, K. It's a great blog and it was fun reading his attitude changes through the 2 years he's been an expat.

For me. . .it's the food too. Guinea pigs roasting ENTERO (!) on an open fire does not whet my appetite either. Also, it just looks cold there. And grey. So many buildings are colorless compared to Mexico and I much prefer the indigenous and cultures of ancient Mexico to Ecuador. Would love to visit some day tho.

Did you notice the beaches!!! ewwwuu No comparison.

Good blog to read if you want to know about retiring in Ecuador.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities Empty Re: Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

Post by coffeeguy Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 am

Yes, have had friends (you know them - Mark and Nancy - who've spent extended time in Ecuador and looked seriously not just at Cuenca but many other places and they came to much the same conclusion: too cold, dismal food compared to Mexico (but that applies to Costa Rica, Guatemala and pretty much anyplace else in Latin America, though Ecuador is especially dismal). Plus as we age I think many underestimate what it takes to move to a place where you truly have to "go native" linguistically - all the movies, TV, cultural stuff in a place like Cuenca (or anywhere outside of gringo bubbles like Lakeside) is 100% in Spanish and for the locals. Still what an incredibly cool place to visit!

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 am

coffeeguy wrote:Yes, have had friends (you know them - Mark and Nancy - who've spent extended time in Ecuador and looked seriously not just at Cuenca but many other places and they came to much the same conclusion: too cold, dismal food compared to Mexico (but that applies to Costa Rica, Guatemala and pretty much anyplace else in Latin America, though Ecuador is especially dismal). Plus as we age I think many underestimate what it takes to move to a place where you truly have to "go native" linguistically - all the movies, TV, cultural stuff in a place like Cuenca (or anywhere outside of gringo bubbles like Lakeside) is 100% in Spanish and for the locals. Still what an incredibly cool place to visit!

Bogata is the place for food in that area. Like Europe very much it is...yum yum yum.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:56 am

Bogota is in Columbia.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:05 am

David wrote:Bogota is in Columbia.

Yes thank you for that breakthru information. Go rearead
Coffeeguys post he said the food suck everywhere and
listed other countries where it sucks. I just posted a city
in the area that doesn't suck. The food in Bogata is as
good as the food in Mexico. I said Bogata because I only
know Bogata not the rest of Columbia. They didn't allow
me to leave Bogata as this was back in the dark days but
the food was great. I just couldn't go for a walk without
two guys with big bulges on there chests. Didn't stay long
as they shoved me on another plane to go put another
board in some computer somwhere.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 am

Zed:

Wouldn't it have been easier and shorter to just admit that you made a mistake?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:36 am

I know a guy who's been doing the perpetual travel thing for most of the past decade, spending extended periods in Mexico, Thailand and Colombia (Bogota mostly). He's got a Colombian girlfriend so he's not exactly an objective observer, but he says the food in Bogota is very good and the women the most beautiful, but still pines for the moles of Oaxaca and Puebla and Mexican street food. I believe Peru is also a culinary hot spot now, with some world class restaurants.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Antigua, Guatemala has an EXCELLENT restaurant scene.

For an overview, go here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g295366-Antigua_Sacatepequez_Department.html
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Of course that's not close to Ecuador either! What's the point? Might as well say there are good restuarants in Tokyo!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:44 pm

We've moved on from Cuenca to culinary hotspots for expats.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Well then add Singapore, Chang Mai, and Phuket.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Not a lot of expats in that part of the world, no??
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:16 pm

I have a friend who lived in Ajijic for 17 years and moved to Cuenca Ecuador several years ago and is perfectly happy there. The housing and food is cheaper than Mexuico and the Hospitals just as good too.

I saw a documentary on Cuenca a couple of years ago. It looked nice and loioked like Mexico to me.

A friend who is in Los Cantates was impressed with Quito when they visited there with Cantates.

Last edited by joec on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:37 pm

binky wrote:Not a lot of expats in that part of the world, no??

You're joking, right? Or maybe not.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by plumlake Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I do know that Ecuador is way, way more corrupt than any place in Mexico...except maybe the border towns. I am not sure how the immigration process is however...and it might be abit more friendly than what everyone is trying to figure out right now. As for food...nothing like GDL and Chapala...honestly...those little rats roasting are not tasty. Hey..it is really about the people and weather in Lakeside Chapala....nothing else like it anywhere.

plumlake

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:58 pm

plumlake:

Please keep drinking the Kool-Aid and don't even dare to take off those rose colored glasses!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:04 pm

plumlake wrote:I do know that Ecuador is way, way more corrupt than any place in Mexico...except maybe the border towns.

How do you know that, Plumlake?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:

Z

That would be Bogota, Zed, I have never heard of a food haven called Bogata.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I read his whole blog yesterday, thanks for putting him up on FB, K. It's a great blog and it was fun reading his attitude changes through the 2 years he's been an expat.

For me. . .it's the food too. Guinea pigs roasting ENTERO (!) on an open fire does not whet my appetite either. Also, it just looks cold there. And grey. So many buildings are colorless compared to Mexico and I much prefer the indigenous and cultures of ancient Mexico to Ecuador. Would love to visit some day tho.

Did you notice the beaches!!! ewwwuu No comparison.

Good blog to read if you want to know about retiring in Ecuador.

Precisely Trailrunner, guinea pigs roasting by the open fire do not ring my bells either.

Cold and gray, not too good.

Visiting, well Montevideo and a cruise around South America for my 20th wedding anniversary cured me of South and Central America for life. Especially the Falklands part. Two and a half weeks on a smallish boat made me claustrophobic as well. Even the massive volcano in Chile was dullish. The glaciers had turned to ice cubes in Southern Argentina.

Our stop off in Buenos Aires at the beginning was less than exciting. It had deteriorated badly since we were first there shortly after their initial financial crisis.

We were similarly unimpressed with both Valparaiso and Santiago, where we elected to finish off in grand style. This did not come to pass, although a few parts were quite nice.

Sooo, unless you are Uber rich and can afford to visit some wealthy family with a massive ranch, and food flown in daily a la Club med, I'd give it a miss. Obviously we did not fall into that category.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:50 pm

binky wrote:Not a lot of expats in that part of the world, no??
Actually I have a friend living in Phuket and he says there is a sizable expat community. Beautiful beaches, tourist destination....
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:22 pm

yes Thailand has many expats from many different countries. I have a cousin who lives in Taiwan and goes to Thailand when he misses the French expat community.
My Australian friend tells me they are quite a few Aussie there as well and so on...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChapalaEllis Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm

I spent several months in Nong Khai, Thailand but found the visa situation to be a bit tedious. I was lucky in that I could cross the Friendship Bridge into Vientiane, Laos for a new Thai visa... a two day trip. However, I eventually moved to Cambodia. You can ask for the Business Visa upon entry ( $25.00 USD ) and then apply for an extension once inside the country. At the time I was there you could buy a three month, six month, or one year visa extension. A one page form, one photo and your passport. Four or five days later you have your new multiple entry visa. Most of the expats I met in Thailand and Cambodia were from Western Europe and Australia. I spent a year and a half there teaching and had a great time.
ChapalaEllis
ChapalaEllis

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 am

E-raq wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:

Z

That would be Bogota, Zed, I have never heard of a food haven called Bogata.

And that would be Colombia, Zed.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Back to Cuenca... my interest was piqued earlier this year so I bought a book about it on Amazon Kindle... yes there are some amazing parallels to Ajijic (eternal spring, mountains, sky) but here are the things the book claimed that made me rule it out 100% for me:

1. You pretty much have to fly to and from the US. No quickie 12-hour car ride back to Texas. The flights are not cheap.
2. You get to bring in only two suitcases and the clothes on your back.
3. If you want to import a car, it has to be brand new, and the duty is 100%.
4. If you want to bring any household goods, they have to come by shipping container which is $5000 (and I think the duty is again 100%).
5. Bureaucracy, crime, poverty, etc. seems about 10x what it is here.
6. Internet, phone, services in Cuenca are good but goes to almost nothing at the city limit.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next