INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

+11
brigitte
Flamingo
E-raq
plumlake
joec
binky
CheenaGringo
David
Zedinmexico
Trailrunner
coffeeguy
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities - Page 2 Empty Re: Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

Post by merry Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Back to Cuenca... my interest was piqued earlier this year so I bought a book about it on Amazon Kindle... yes there are some amazing parallels to Ajijic (eternal spring, mountains, sky) but here are the things the book claimed that made me rule it out 100% for me:

1. You pretty much have to fly to and from the US. No quickie 12-hour car ride back to Texas. The flights are not cheap.
2. You get to bring in only two suitcases and the clothes on your back.
3. If you want to import a car, it has to be brand new, and the duty is 100%.
4. If you want to bring any household goods, they have to come by shipping container which is $5000 (and I think the duty is again 100%).
5. Bureaucracy, crime, poverty, etc. seems about 10x what it is here.
6. Internet, phone, services in Cuenca are good but goes to almost nothing at the city limit.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities - Page 2 Empty Re: Cuenca, Ecuador vs. U.S.A. - lots of Mexico similarities

Post by E-raq Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 pm

merry wrote:Back to Cuenca... my interest was piqued earlier this year so I bought a book about it on Amazon Kindle... yes there are some amazing parallels to Ajijic (eternal spring, mountains, sky) but here are the things the book claimed that made me rule it out 100% for me:

1. You pretty much have to fly to and from the US. No quickie 12-hour car ride back to Texas. The flights are not cheap.
2. You get to bring in only two suitcases and the clothes on your back.
3. If you want to import a car, it has to be brand new, and the duty is 100%.
4. If you want to bring any household goods, they have to come by shipping container which is $5000 (and I think the duty is again 100%).
5. Bureaucracy, crime, poverty, etc. seems about 10x what it is here.
6. Internet, phone, services in Cuenca are good but goes to almost nothing at the city limit.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Merry

Great info Merry, Personally I wouldn't even set foot south of Chiapas after a friend of mine died from a horrible infection, actually two, and at least one of them was acquired while looking for a house in Equador. YIKES, no thank you.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Also for folks like me who like to watch my home town station on TV. I can do that here, using the Canadian Shaw Direct system. Not in South America

Now here, we are so far south that many DISH US network stations don't come in here, even with a big satellite dish. DirecTV US is better, I get most of the HD stations on a very large dish. Forget getting anything in South America without a 50 foot dish. Oh sure, one can use the internet, but that limits what you can receive, especially live in 1080p HD on a large LCD TV screen.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2