INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The “High Tipping Season”.

+15
E-raq
ferret
CanuckBob
hockables
lucky
bennie#2
Rosa Venus
Jim W
little italy
joec
hkrause
viajero
CheenaGringo
David
Parker
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The “High Tipping Season”.  Empty The “High Tipping Season”.

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 pm

It certainly has started for us. We needed gas and this will be the last time we see him before the ‘New Year”. We normally TIP him 50 pesos per delivery but felt because of the season 150 would be more appropriate. Employees; Housekeepers, gardeners the amounts (especially after so many years) mandated by law seem fairly generous but what about all the others that we deal with fairly regularity. Who would you also include in this group and what do you feel is a fair amount?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

The “High Tipping Season”.  Empty Re: The “High Tipping Season”.

Post by David Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

We give a Christmas propina to our regular garbage pickup crew.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:08 pm

David wrote:We give a Christmas propina to our regular garbage pickup crew.

Great, How much would you suggest?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Given previous discussions about tipping habits, who in their right mind would reveal what they tip? One element would respond by saying they were "cheap" and another element will say they are ruining for the rest by tipping too much! HA!

And yes, we do always tip our taxi drivers.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 pm

When in Rome.......

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:56 pm

This will be our first Christmas in the area, and I'm not sure who all should be tipped and how much. Maid and gardener are handled. I'm not sure if hubby has been tipping the gas delivery guy (access is very easy, just a few feet from the street). We live in a development where trash pickup is handled by our homeowner dues... do we tip the trash guys? People who provide medical services, like my podiatrist? Are we expected to tip extra at restaurants this time of year? People at HandyMail? Others?

Would appreciate some pointers (PM is fine if you fear the flames). Or a link to where this has been discussed before? When I search on "tipping" it doesn't show much.

Thanks!
Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Our Condominium Community tips all our service people at Christmas time. Those would be our Gardener, Trash people and we'd like to tip our Guards, but our contract with the guard service prohibits us from tipping them. With the guards our Hospitality Committee get them Dispensas. I believe our Community is generous in tipping our service people. Everyone should be as it shows appreciation.

So, tip your waiters at this time of year more than usual. These guys depend on tips to live.

Mexico is no different than the US. Service people expect to get a gift at Christmas time. I was a Condo Manager. We all had inside mailboxes for correspondence. Every morning around Christmas, I would look in my box for a gift from one of the residents. The same ones gave every year and the same cheap xxxxx gave nothing. Even those that gave $ 5 were really, realy cheap. I usually got checks for $ 20, 25 and $ 35. Made me happy to get $ 500 tax free!

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:07 pm

hkrause wrote:This will be our first Christmas in the area, and I'm not sure who all should be tipped and how much. Maid and gardener are handled. I'm not sure if hubby has been tipping the gas delivery guy (access is very easy, just a few feet from the street). We live in a development where trash pickup is handled by our homeowner dues... do we tip the trash guys? People who provide medical services, like my podiatrist? Are we expected to tip extra at restaurants this time of year? People at HandyMail? Others?

Would appreciate some pointers (PM is fine if you fear the flames). Or a link to where this has been discussed before? When I search on "tipping" it doesn't show much.

Thanks!
Heather

You should be tipping your gas delivery guy for very visit. The amount depends on you. We tip 10 pesos. Ask your Board of Directors if they tip your trash people and how much. Consider how often they come. Even though our Community tips the trash collectors, we're going to give a little extra.

You don't need to tip Doctors and others. A little extra at restaurants would definitely be nice.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:04 pm

joec wrote:Our Condominium Community tips all our service people at Christmas time. Those would be our Gardener, Trash people and we'd like to tip our Guards, but our contract with the guard service prohibits us from tipping them. With the guards our Hospitality Committee get them Dispensas. I believe our Community is generous in tipping our service people. Everyone should be as it shows appreciation.

So, tip your waiters at this time of year more than usual. These guys depend on tips to live.

Mexico is no different than the US. Service people expect to get a gift at Christmas time. I was a Condo Manager. We all had inside mailboxes for correspondence. Every morning around Christmas, I would look in my box for a gift from one of the residents. The same ones gave every year and the same cheap xxxxx gave nothing. Even those that gave $ 5 were really, realy cheap. I usually got checks for $ 20, 25 and $ 35. Made me happy to get $ 500 tax free!

Gee, in the states I only tipped waiters in restaurants, my hairdresser, Pedicurist is what I remember. Lived in apartments and never ever tipped the Manager, besides they didn't do the repairs, they had Maintenance Company that did all the repairs, ha no wonder the rent increased every year. Never tipped the garbage collectors as I know for a fact they made more than I did working at IBM. Besides, they worked for the county. Oh! I did give a bottle of whiskey to the Mail person, course we knew him.
I have no idea that our community tips our service people, but would be curious to find out.
I tip genously all year long here in Mexico. As long as I have a penny in my pocket I will share as with most of us.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Parker wrote:

Our pickup crew drop off an envelope in mid December. In our neighborhood the amount we put in it averages $300 per household.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:04 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Given previous discussions about tipping habits, who in their right mind would reveal what they tip? One element would respond by saying they were "cheap" and another element will say they are ruining for the rest by tipping too much! HA!

And yes, we do always tip our taxi drivers.

You never seem to fail me Neil, stepping up to the plate in a beneficial way is just too much for you to handle if there is a slight chance of personal disapproval. We all think differently and the only ones that get my disapproval are the “Rat (dog) Pack” mentality, because they just can’t seem to do anything without the approval of others, even if they happen to disagree. Most of the accomplishment that have occurred in this world happened because someone fought the norm.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 pm

David wrote:
Parker wrote:

Our pickup crew drop off an envelope in mid December. In our neighborhood the amount we put in it averages $300 per household.

David, have things changed in your neighborhood.......isn't you garbage service free? In our frac, we pay for the service. Not that we don't offer propina, but we are paying over 7200 pesos per year for water and garbage, service.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Jim W wrote:
David wrote:
Parker wrote:

David, have things changed in your neighborhood.......isn't you garbage service free? In our frac, we pay for the service. Not that we don't offer propina, but we are paying over 7200 pesos per year for water and garbage, service.

For our Rubbish service, 4 days a week in our Community, we pay the Municipality of Chapala a yearly fee. Our Community (Board) still tip the Rubbish collectors.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:18 pm

JimW - Are you paying over 7200 pesos for your PERSONAL house water and garbage collection?

Last edited by joec on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Beyond our housekeeper and gardener, we do a Christmas tip for those people who provide us with service on a regular basis throughout the year. We live in Ajijic Centro, not part of a private community. So for us, those people include:

The trash truck guys, the post office folks (we have a PO box and they deliver to our house when necessary....though they got theirs last month for Dia del Correo), the woman who cuts my hair since I've been going to her throughout the year. Who else....will probably slip something to the handyman because, even though he is paid by our landlord, he's been at our house many times this year. And for sure, the person who has been helping us with our dog, a fellow who has been training and helping us get through through "puppyhood". We have water delivered by Santorini every week. We are established on their route, and they do a good job, so they'll get something, too.

Basically, I use my instincts. If it's someone with whom I have regular contact, I'm happy to give them something extra this time of year.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Rosa Venus - Good post. You're doing the right thing by your service people and I know they'll remember you.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Parker:

Did you happen to see the HA! at the end of the first paragraph? Now just what do you think that means?

Since it has been 6 years we had a home in Mexico, what business would I have posting about tipping for anything related to having a home? As far as our tipping habits related to taxi drivers, wait staff in restaurants, maids and bellhops in hotels, gas jockeys at Pemex, porters at the airport, baggers in the stores or anyone else who performs a service for us during our travels, it is a personal matter and we don't equate our habits to what others should or shouldn't do.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

people here tip doctors? are you crazy?

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:44 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Parker:

Did you happen to see the HA! at the end of the first paragraph? Now just what do you think that means?

Since it has been 6 years we had a home in Mexico, what business would I have posting about tipping for anything related to having a home? As far as our tipping habits related to taxi drivers, wait staff in restaurants, maids and bellhops in hotels, gas jockeys at Pemex, porters at the airport, baggers in the stores or anyone else who performs a service for us during our travels, it is a personal matter and we don't equate our habits to what others should or shouldn't do.

The “HA” meant to me that you thought others wouldn’t have the integrity to respond because of repercussions of negative comments from others.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:51 pm

bennie#2 wrote:people here tip doctors? are you crazy?

Who mentioned doctors? And I don’t believe most of us see our doctors more than a few times a year however we always sent him a bottle of Tequila for his birthday. Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:27 pm

joec wrote:JimW - Are you paying over 7200 pesos for your PERSONAL house water and garbage collection?

Si, 600 pesos per month for water, garbage, and street lights. We are on our own water system in the frac, so money goes for system maintenance as well.....no pun intended.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Actually, I was wondering about the lady who does my pedicure at Dr. George. It's more of a medical service for ingrown & fungus, not "pretty feet" pedicure service (which I assume would warrant a tip), so I wasn't sure if that would be a tipping situation. I think they are more like technicians there (??) instead of doctors, but not sure. I have been there 3x so far - about once a month - and will continue going for a bit until things clear up. So it's a fairly regular service.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:21 pm

hkrause wrote:

Actually, I was wondering about the lady who does my pedicure at Dr. George. It's more of a medical service for ingrown & fungus, not "pretty feet" pedicure service (which I assume would warrant a tip), so I wasn't sure if that would be a tipping situation. I think they are more like technicians there (??) instead of doctors, but not sure. I have been there 3x so far - about once a month - and will continue going for a bit until things clear up. So it's a fairly regular service.

Heather

I believe your inclinations are right, a little something would be very appreciated and it’s not likely she would be making anywhere near the salary of a Doctor or even a Housekeeper. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:27 pm

she is not a doctor, but a service person. (i cannot see giving my vacular surgeon a xmas "tip" can you)? dont tip taxi drivers unless they carry your bags, make an extra stop etc.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 pm

bennie#2 wrote:she is not a doctor, but a service person. (i cannot see giving my vacular surgeon a xmas "tip" can you)? dont tip taxi drivers unless they carry your bags, make an extra stop etc.

I believe taxi drivers expect a tip, but as bennie # 2 said "those who carry your bags out as well as in". Luis from Francisco's Taxi does that so we tip him.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next