INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The “High Tipping Season”.

+15
E-raq
ferret
CanuckBob
hockables
lucky
bennie#2
Rosa Venus
Jim W
little italy
joec
hkrause
viajero
CheenaGringo
David
Parker
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The “High Tipping Season”.  - Page 2 Empty Re: The “High Tipping Season”.

Post by joec Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 pm

bennie#2 wrote:she is not a doctor, but a service person. (i cannot see giving my vacular surgeon a xmas "tip" can you)? dont tip taxi drivers unless they carry your bags, make an extra stop etc.

I believe taxi drivers expect a tip, but as bennie # 2 said "those who carry your bags out as well as in". Luis from Francisco's Taxi does that so we tip him.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm

joec wrote:
bennie#2 wrote:she is not a doctor, but a service person. (i cannot see giving my vacular surgeon a xmas "tip" can you)? dont tip taxi drivers unless they carry your bags, make an extra stop etc.

I believe taxi drivers expect a tip, but as bennie # 2 said "those who carry your bags out as well as in". Luis from Francisco's Taxi does that so we tip him.

Yes Luis and their family have always been there for us also, what a wonderful family.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

I always go to the same grocery store here in Jocotepec, so at this time of the year, I am always more open-handed with the propinas for the kids who bag my groceries, as well as with the little ones who I sometimes let push my cart and lift my bags into my vehicle.

And, as someone else mentioned, don't forget your water guy if you have your water delivered (either in bulk or by bottle).

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The “High Tipping Season”.  - Page 2 Empty christmas bonus time

Post by hockables Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 am

So what is the formula in calculating gardeners & housekeepers Christmas Stipend?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 am

hockables wrote:So what is the formula in calculating gardeners & housekeepers Christmas Stipend?
Do you want the Canadian formula or the American formula or the Mexican formula? Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 am

we have only been here a couple of months.... but we want to do right by them!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 am

hockables wrote:So what is the formula in calculating gardeners & housekeepers Christmas Stipend?

Rollybrook.com is probably the best source but here’s the short of it;

Aquinaldo (Christmas Bonus) is 15 days. Divide their weekly salary by 7 to get the daily rate. This must be paid in cash on or before the 20th of December.

Just in case, vacation pay is at the following rate; The 6-day minimum vacation is only for the first year worked. The basis increases by 2 days each year through the 5th year. Thereafter, the time increases by 2 days each 5th year.

Year 1 -- 6 days
Year 2 -- 6 + 2 = 8 days
Year 3 -- 8 + 2 = 10 days
Year 4 -- 10 + 2 = 12 days
Year 5 -- 12 + 2 = 14 days
Year 10 -- 14 + 2 = 16 days
Year 15 -- 16 + 2 = 18 days

Now according to law it states that they must be given the time off however with employees that only work a few days per week they prefer the extra cash, we have decided we’ll deal with that issue when and if it ever arises.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:58 am

From Rolly's Website:
"Aguinaldo (Christmas Bonus)

The aguinaldo must be paid on or before the 20th of December. The aguinaldo must be paid in cash; gifts, Christmas baskets, and other presents do not fulfill the requirement.

The aguinaldo must equal 15 days of salary. To calculate the amount for a part-time employee, divide the number of days worked during the year past by 365. Multiply that figure by 15 x the daily salary to determine the amount of the aguinaldo.

Examples:

If you have an employee who works one day a week for $50 pesos:
52/365 x 15 x 50 = $106.85 pesos

If the worker is paid by the week and has worked a full year, use a multiplier of 2.14 to make the math easier. If the worker is paid $500 pesos per week, then it is $500 x 2 .14 = $1070 pesos

If the weekly worker has not worked a full year, divide the number of weeks worked by 52.14 x 15 x the daily salary (weekly salary divided by 7) to determine the amount of the aguinaldo."

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 pm

hockables wrote:we have only been here a couple of months.... but we want to do right by them!!

Everything can be prorated by per month; in your case (2 months) is 1/6th of a year’s cost. This is mandated by law however I do realize many don’t follow these rules because they can get away with it and feel no moral obligation to do so, your choice.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:10 pm

hockables wrote:we have only been here a couple of months.... but we want to do right by them!!
You're a generous guy Hocks,I'm sure that whatever you decide on will be more than adequate,at our house I'm the gardener and the lady of the house doesn't pay me anything but she does let me sleep with her.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Appreciate that.... Thanks
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Parker wrote:

Aquinaldo (Christmas Bonus) is 15 days. Divide their weekly salary by 7 to get the daily rate. This must be paid in cash on or before the 20th of December.

Just in case, vacation pay is at the following rate; The 6-day minimum vacation is only for the first year worked. The basis increases by 2 days each year through the 5th year. Thereafter, the time increases by 2 days each 5th year.

Year 1 -- 6 days
Year 2 -- 6 + 2 = 8 days

Now according to law it states that they must be given the time off however with employees that only work a few days per week they prefer the extra cash, we have decided we’ll deal with that issue when and if it ever arises.

We give 2 weeks Christmas Bonus ALWAYS and 1 weeks vacation. During the year, if we go on vacation for one week or two weeks, we tell the maid not to come and pay her anyways.

I'm not going to bother with another stupid BS formula.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Parker wrote:

Everything can be prorated by per month; in your case (2 months) is 1/6th of a year’s cost. This is mandated by law however I do realize many don’t follow these rules because they can get away with it and feel no moral obligation to do so, your choice.

That's correct Parker. I believe those are the cheapos that shouldn't even come here as they contribute nothing to the Mexican economy. Fortunately, there are a lot of really good hearted people here who support worthwhile organizations and orphanages.

Looking at the opposite of the el cheapos above, I have a very good friend who comes here 10 weeks a year and just hands his Maid 1,000 pesos as a Christmas gift. They truly appreciate service people.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:19 pm

joec wrote:
Parker wrote:

Year 1 -- 6 days
Year 2 -- 6 + 2 = 8 days

We give 2 weeks Christmas Bonus ALWAYS and 1 weeks vacation. During the year, if we go on vacation for one week or two weeks, we tell the maid not to come and pay her anyways.

I'm not going to bother with another stupid BS formula.

Well now Mr. "I'm not going to bother with another stupid BS formula,
You're always saying you've been here 10 years. If that's the case you, BY LAW, should be paying 16 days vacation, not 1 week. BTW, the law also says that you MUST PAY 25% bonus on top of vacation pay. If you're not abiding by the formula above you're in violation of the Labor Laws of Mexico. Now who's the "el cheapo?"

Last edited by David on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:28 pm

That is why I think it is best to hire a maid and/or gardener through an agency. Let them worry about all the vacation pays, bonus's, labor laws, etc.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 pm

CanuckBob wrote:That is why I think it is best to hire a maid and/or gardener through an agency. Let them worry about all the vacation pays, bonus's, labor laws, etc.

Good point Bob. I just ran the termination numbers on our Gardner, to get an idea of what we will owe him when our home sells. He has been with us 6 plus years, and todays number is approx., 45,650 pesos. Beer Smokealot Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 pm

CanuckBob wrote:That is why I think it is best to hire a maid and/or gardener through an agency. Let them worry about all the vacation pays, bonus's, labor laws, etc.

You are probably correct, and I do know people in our Community who do that. You are still responsible for their vacation and Christmas bonus.

Alternately, you can hire Spring Clean directly who is responsible for their maids, even though it will cost you a lot more money.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Jim W wrote:

Good point Bob. I just ran the termination numbers on our Gardner, to get an idea of what we will owe him when our home sells. He has been with us 6 plus years, and todays number is approx., 45,650 pesos. Beer Smokealot Beer Beer

Sounds too high unless you're way overpaying him. Are you sure you are correct?

Have Spencer make an agreement in Spanish for a lesser amount of money and have him agree to it and sign it. That's totally legal too.

Fortunately, we've only had our Maid 2 years, no gardener and our pool guy has his own business, but we'll give him something anyway.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm

My understanding, after reading Rolly's site is 3 months pay, plus 20 days per year of employment. Since he works 2 days per week, this amounts to nearly 3 months severance per year of employment.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Its 3 months plus 20 days’ (or 110 days) pay per year of service at current salary. It adds up really quickly. Had we understood this in the beginning we would have probably chosen a cleaning service. However, we do have the services of many of their family members anytime we need them and this is really a blessing. I guess there are always trade-offs.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Jim W wrote:My understanding, after reading Rolly's site is 3 months pay, plus 20 days per year of employment. Since he works 2 days per week, this amounts to nearly 3 months severance per year of employment.

How many hours does your gardener work each week and what do you pay per hour?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm

John:

Why is it when someone like David or for that matter anyone else addresses where you have definitely been in the wrong, you just slide by that and continue trying to sell yourself as an expert? The way I am interpreting your subsequent posts, they seem to have a tone whereby you are suggesting bending the rules after playing holier than thou earlier in the discussion.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:John:

Why is it when someone like David or for that matter anyone else addresses where you have definitely been in the wrong, you just slide by that and continue trying to sell yourself as an expert? The way I am interpreting your subsequent posts, they seem to have a tone whereby you are suggesting bending the rules after playing holier than thou earlier in the discussion.

Why don't you change your handle to NOB Busy Body or ABQ Busy Body, since you have no interest in Mexico or Lakeside? That suits you perfectly.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm

joe, he hasnt lived here in years, he is a tourist.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:00 pm

joe, john, bennie#2, manny/moe/larry, susan, etc:

What a pair to draw to! john/joe - you have tried this attack before and to say I don't care about Mexico, you know you are lying! The fact remains that you continue to dodge addressing the inaccuracies found in your statements by directing attentions elsewhere. Does that tactic sound familiar from a recent event?

bennie#2, manny/moe/larry, susan, etc: You are not worth my time or effort! the ChineseAmerican whiteguy

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:04 pm

joec wrote:

You are probably correct, and I do know people in our Community who do that. You are still responsible for their vacation and Christmas bonus.

Alternately, you can hire Spring Clean directly who is responsible for their maids, even though it will cost you a lot more money.

Actually I am sure it will cost a lot less in the long run. No bonus's, severance pay or vacation pay. If you are unhappy you can switch maids with a simple phone call. I guess I will see if my agency adds on Xmas bonus pay on my December bill.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next