INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kid Food Memories

+16
borderreiver
gringal
Ms Mac
Zedinmexico
Carry Bean
Parker
Hensley
DonPito
seisdedos
hkrause
CanuckBob
viajero
SnowDaddy
CheenaGringo
E-raq
ComputerGuy
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kid Food Memories - Page 2 Empty Re: Kid Food Memories

Post by Parker Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 pm

I remember how we all, even our parents loved the “Sweet Pea” harvest time. We lived on a curve that was just enough that if a truck was going to lose some it would be there. To this day I love peas.

We also use to glean the potato fields; my father’s theory was if you’re busy there is little time to make trouble, looking back, he was probably right.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:44 pm

The worst thing was mom's "goulash". She thought she remembered grandma's recipe, but obviously she didn't. Grandma was known as a good cook.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Didn't like then but do now:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Asparagus
Curry

Still don't like:
Eggplant
Lima Beans
Brussel Sprouts

And the biggie:
Shellfish - every time I was forced to eat, I got sick. After years of torture, I was tested and it turned out that I was highly allergic.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 pm

I didn't like salads. My mom always said, just take a bite and you will learn to like it. Now, when I go to lunch with girlfriends almost always order salad.

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:37 pm

My working Mom taught me how to make grilled cheese sandwiches. I added a side of cottage cheese and a good dill pickle, a little ketchup for dipping, Yum. My after class high school snack. Next up - pre GMO Heinz pork and beans on toast. My dad taught me to source and grill a one inch T-bone on a smokin hot cast iron frying pan. I could do that - aged 12. He also intro'd me to the "instant read thermometer", for the steak, and small mouthed bass fishing. As a kid - Pure Spring grape soda (eastern Ontario summers) on the farm.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

borderreiver wrote:My working Mom taught me how to make grilled cheese sandwiches. I added a side of cottage cheese and a good dill pickle, a little ketchup for dipping, Yum. My after class high school snack. Next up - pre GMO Heinz pork and beans on toast. My dad taught me to source and grill a one inch T-bone on a smokin hot cast iron frying pan. I could do that - aged 12. He also intro'd me to the "instant read thermometer", for the steak, and small mouthed bass fishing. As a kid - Pure Spring grape soda (eastern Ontario summers) on the farm.
Most people think this is weird, but pork and beans on toast we always slathered with mayo.

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Thx. Will try that. After all "Mayo" is a major food group, along with good gravy, bechamel, hollondaise, etc. Currently have a Shepard's Pie in the oven. Can hardly wait. Will eat it in front of my wife - the vegetarian. Jajaja.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Old Dutch salt&vinegar chips in Winnipeg; Pure Spring Ginger Ale in Ottawa. Fat Albert's #4 pepperoni and steak subs.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Didn't like then but do now:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Asparagus
Curry

Still don't like:
Eggplant
Lima Beans
Brussel Sprouts

And the biggie:
Shellfish - every time I was forced to eat, I got sick. After years of torture, I was tested and it turned out that I was highly allergic.

Me too but I only react to the algae (??) that only sometimes gets into Shellfish. Not worth taking the chance.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am

HelperGuy wrote:Old Dutch salt&vinegar chips in Winnipeg; Pure Spring Ginger Ale in Ottawa. Fat Albert's #4 pepperoni and steak subs.

What about those fantastic pommes frites wagons ( they might actually call them patates) on the Hull side? Always a must after partying hearty in Ottawa where everything closed down early. Best french fries on the planet IMO. Spoiled for life I tell y'all.

Speaking of french fries, lest we forget, poutine, or even just plain old chips and gravy.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 am

At high school, the cafeteria had the WORST gravy for their chips, but the gluey, gaggy consistency had us taking it every time.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:24 am

HelperGuy wrote:At high school, the cafeteria had the WORST gravy for their chips, but the gluey, gaggy consistency had us taking it every time.

I'd like to know how those cafeteria ladies had the nerve to bill themselves as nutritionists. However yes, we did glom on to the food every single time. Even the totally repugnant mac and cheese.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:53 pm

E-raq wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:At high school, the cafeteria had the WORST gravy for their chips, but the gluey, gaggy consistency had us taking it every time.

I'd like to know how those cafeteria ladies had the nerve to bill themselves as nutritionists. However yes, we did glom on to the food every single time. Even the totally repugnant mac and cheese.

But remember we were eating 3000 calories a day or more if we moved around and
we were hungry!!!!!

40 YEARS LATER..........

I have to walk from the Plaza to Walmart in the AM and another equal walk in the afternoon
or I gain weight and I only eat two meals a day. Wow do I ever wish I could eat 3K calories
a day!!! What I do to continue to be able to drink good beer.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by DonPito Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Every summer, we always had an old peanut butter jar filled about halfway up with sugar. Instead of trotting off to the neighborhood store to buy a candy bar (that would have required money), we would pull off a couple of stalks of green rhubarb, rinse them off under the garden hose, dip the ends into the sugar jar and munch away.

DonPito
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowDaddy Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Would that have been a Cadbury Malted Milk Chocolate bar?

Absolutely...
SnowDaddy
SnowDaddy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:24 pm

most hated food as a kid, milk, chocolate and French fries, favorite bread pudding and cassis liquor.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:46 pm

After getting very drunk on femented coconut milk in the 4th grade, I cannot tolerate anything with coconut to this day!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Texmexco Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:01 am

For me...
Comfort foods: tapioca (still warm) and malt-o-meal (which you can't even find anymore)
Yuckiest food: canned peas (but love 'em fresh or frozen).
Favorites of Childhood: homemade sourdough pancakes every Sunday morning, seafood gumbo, corn-on-the-cob, fried catfish, BBQ brisket, macaroni & cheese (yes, usually made with Velveeta).
Favorite Christmas goodies: Fudge with lots of nuts, Pralines with lots of nuts, and what we called Texas Trash (3 types of Chex cereal, Cheerios, pretzels, and LOTS of mixed nuts, etc., all tossed with Worcestershire sauce, Tobasco sauce, butter & seasonings and baked in a slow oven). Totally addictive!!!!
Mmmm. This thread is making me hungry!!!

Texmexco
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:20 am

Don't laugh: Mac and cheese with Velveeta, of course. Baad hot dogs, baad burgers, fried SPAM sandwiches, canned tamales....and nearly frozen Uno bars.
I didn't get those treats at my mom's righteously healthy table. Some friends were luckier, and shared....bless 'em.
I can't stand that stuff now. Well......the Uno bars. Sure, if they made 'em like the used to.
pirat

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:51 pm

To this very day I still love Kraft dinner, not made with margarine, with real butter. We never had it at home but a friend of mine was a latchkey kid, so we pigged out on it at her house. I'm really not allowed to eat it here either, but since I and only I know where it is, if the big guy is napping..........

Still crazy about Cheez Whiz. Still nuts about deviled eggs.

My first real love was a pepperoni pizza. Thought I had struck food gold. Can't even look at a pizza crosswise these days.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 am

Geez, E-raq, you must be my food-twin. KD with butter, not margarine! Deviled eggs!... why can't we buy those at stores?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:33 am

gringal wrote:Don't laugh: Mac and cheese with Velveeta, of course. Baad hot dogs, baad burgers, fried SPAM sandwiches, canned tamales....and nearly frozen Uno bars.
I didn't get those treats at my mom's righteously healthy table. Some friends were luckier, and shared....bless 'em.
I can't stand that stuff now. Well......the Uno bars. Sure, if they made 'em like the used to.
pirat
Fried Spam and Kraft mac n' cheese, food of the gods!

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:59 am

HelperGuy wrote:Geez, E-raq, you must be my food-twin. KD with butter, not margarine! Deviled eggs!... why can't we buy those at stores?

Well they are easy enough to make. We have a big plate of 'em in the fridge right now. YUM, however am getting a bit egged out now, having indulged myself for 2 days.

Oh yeah margarine, most hated substance on the planet. Remember those old nasty white packages with the little plastic glob of coloring that you had to mix in to make it look like butter. What were they thinking?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:16 am

[quote="E-raq"]
HelperGuy wrote:Geez, E-raq, you must be my food-twin. KD with butter, not margarine! Deviled eggs!... why can't we buy those at stores?

Well they are easy enough to make. We have a big plate of 'em in the fridge right now. YUM, however am getting a bit egged out now, having indulged myself for 2 days.

Oh yeah margarine, most hated substance on the planet. Remember those old nasty white packages with the little plastic glob of coloring that you had to mix in to make it look like butter. What were they thinking?[/quote]

Just like the Wisconsin Dairy Farmers Assn. lobby wanted them to think. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shirley Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 am

Sucre a creme, tourtiere, ragout....and real milk (not powdered skim like at our house) at Memere's.
shirley
shirley

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am

I still eat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. That was my food of choice when I was poor in California in the 60's. Used to be able to get it on sale for 5 for a dollar. Now I mix in some Sambal Oelek in it & also add that to my deviled eggs along w/mayo, celery & onion.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next