INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living and Dying in Mexico with a Proper Will....KUDOS to DR. LEON

+7
E-raq
CanuckBob
hound dog
gringal
Carry Bean
joec
Jim W
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Living and Dying in Mexico with a Proper Will....KUDOS to DR. LEON - Page 2 Empty Re: Living and Dying in Mexico with a Proper Will....KUDOS to DR. LEON

Post by joec Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Jim W wrote:The US Consulate contacted us within 48 hours of Bob's passing, and his SS has been stopped. Also, advised the $250.00 death benefit will not be issued to help cover funeral expenses, as he is not married. Basta

Just another way for our CHEAPO American Gov't not to pay us.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Living and Dying in Mexico with a Proper Will....KUDOS to DR. LEON - Page 2 Empty Re: Living and Dying in Mexico with a Proper Will....KUDOS to DR. LEON

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:04 pm

New one on me. But here is the statement from Social Security:
"The lump-sum death benefit of $255 is payable upon the death of a person who has worked long enough to be insured under Social Security.

The one-time lump-sum death payment of $255 is payable to:

A surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased person's record; or
If there is no surviving spouse, a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceased person's record in the month of death.

If no spouse or child meeting these requirements exists, the lump-sum death payment will not be paid. The lump-sum death payment cannot be paid to funeral homes or estates for funeral expenses."

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/202/~/lump-sum-death-payment

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Jim W wrote:
E-raq wrote:
Jim W wrote:The police contacted the Municipal publico. Since no Dr. was present in this case, The local authorities contact the US Consolate in this case, within hours of the death. The Coroner released the remains to the Mortuary @ 4:00 today. The Municipal publico gave copies of the Death Certificate to the Mortuary today. Municipal Publico emailed a copy of same to the US Consolate today, and we received a translated copy via email today from the Consolate.

Once I have a clearer picture I will update. I can't believe how fast every thing has been done since Saturday, with offices closed Monday and Tuesday.

Hmmm no doctor present, don't they have to do an autopsy if there is no attending physician?

Raq, Debbie got Dr. Leon on the telephone, Bob's primary care physician, and they spoke for a while....maybe 5 minutes with the ranking Mexican Representative on site, of course all in Spanish, so we don't have a clue about the discussion.

Since this our first and hopefully last suicide to deal with, I am thankful for Dr. Leons help at 11:00 PM that evening! Bob will be cremated tomorrow morning, and we will transport ashes to Portland, on our next trip NOB.

Thanks Jim that certainly clears thing up. BTW if anyone here does not have a G.P. it would be best to find one as soon as possible. If you do not have a G.P. in the area your body, should you die, will be sent to Ocotlan for autopsy. This is true for both Mexicans and foreign residents, or was few years ago when a friend of mine had to assist in the unexpected death of a neighbor.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:46 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:New one on me. But here is the statement from Social Security:
"The lump-sum death benefit of $255 is payable upon the death of a person who has worked long enough to be insured under Social Security.

The one-time lump-sum death payment of $255 is payable to:

A surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased person's record; or
If there is no surviving spouse, a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceased person's record in the month of death.

If no spouse or child meeting these requirements exists, the lump-sum death payment will not be paid. The lump-sum death payment cannot be paid to funeral homes or estates for funeral expenses."

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/202/~/lump-sum-death-payment

That's really, really discriminatory & makes no sense. Dead is dead whether married or single. It's not a huge amount of money but being single, I paid into SS along with my employer's contributions the same as a married person. Just the principle of the thing...

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm

He had no children either. Never married. He was a Marine during the Korean conflict. His fiance died during this time and I guess he lost the love of his/or for life.

Sad F...ing deal, what I would assume as his death benifit....$255.00, to help cover his costs.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Jim, my condolences to you and your wife. A sad affair on a few levels.
My mother passed away in Nov. 95. Fortunately there were "Powers of Attorney" and my cousin has been able to access her accounts for such end of life expenses as final phone bill, rent, etc., etc. This ability has made things easier. As an aside to the aside her cremation was $C500, and the urn $C200.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Jim:

You can bet that the actuarial tables have provided the basis for the Social Security rules on burial benefits and ongoing benefits to survivors. Consider this: like your friend that had never married or had any offspring, they don't have to pay out burial benefits but also, they get to pocket (or return to the system) all of the Social Security benefits the deceased should have collected. On the other hand, widows, surviving children and under certain circumstances divorced wives can possibly collect these same benefits. Did someone write the regs or laws wrong?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:19 am

[quote="CheenaGringo"]Jim:

You can bet that the actuarial tables have provided the basis for the Social Security rules on burial benefits and ongoing benefits to survivors. Consider this: like your friend that had never married or had any offspring, they don't have to pay out burial benefits but also, they get to pocket (or return to the system) all of the Social Security benefits the deceased should have collected. On the other hand, widows, surviving children and under certain circumstances divorced wives can possibly collect these same benefits. Did someone write the regs or laws wrong?[/quote]

$250 USD burial benefit, eh? That should take care of the problem:
One Shovel $65
One Pickaxe $65
Gloves $25
Two Fifths of Black Jack Tennessee Sipping Whiskey $60 (To assuage the pain for you and your assistants)
Two kids to actually do the digging $15
An open field when no one is looking Free

By the way, I´m not making light of anyone´s tragedy, just the idiocy of the Social Security Administration.

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 am

K... I liked that one ...lol
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 am

Do it Yourself method, eh?

Here another bit of stupidity on the part of the gubmint: The burial benefit back in the 60's was $250. It's still $250. Duh.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2