INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic

+14
manymoonsago
Elita Guzman
Irish Gal
ferret
Rosa Venus
viajero
CheenaGringo
brigitte
brercottage385
borderreiver
David
peteben
Zedinmexico
hound dog
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic Empty The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic

Post by hound dog Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:06 pm

The French Patisserie in West Ajijic has just re-opened next to the La Huerta Strip Mall in West Ajiic just next to the old Hacienda Ajijic Restaurant. I stopped in today for a napolean, almond and apple tarts and two eclairs (one chocolate and one vanilla) and was quite pleased with the products. A great addition to the neigborhood. The place is just labeled "Bakery" but do not be fooled. This is a good patisserie. The owners are from Montpelier in the South of France. They seem like nice people.

The name of the place will be Pasteleria Franceza (owned by Patrice and Sophie). Cell # 331 840 1189.

Last edited by hound dog on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic Empty Re: The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Thank ya Thank ya Thank ya. Dawg and I agree 100% on this one. Yum Yum
Yum.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic Empty Re: The French Patiisserie in West Ajijic

Post by peteben Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm

I talked to them a few weeks ago when they were still a few doors down from Tabarka, and was really sad to see them closed ever since.
I am glad that they found a new location.
I am sure I will be dropping in again soon!

Pete

peteben
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm

peteben wrote:I talked to them a few weeks ago when they were still a few doors down from Tabarka, and was really sad to see them closed ever since.
I am glad that they found a new location.
I am sure I will be dropping in again soon!

Pete

Like tomorrow since it is on the way to the farmers market. Folks walking, stop by and check it out.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm driving but I'll still stop, OK?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Had an excellent "mille feuilles" (sic) there today. everything looked great.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Superb! I bought some pain au chocolate!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by brercottage385 Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Bought a Jesuite and a almond baguette - yummy!

brercottage385

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm

what is a jesuite?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:13 am

Oh Happy Happy Joy Joy quoting Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brercottage385 Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Brigitte - a Jesuite - besides being an order of Catholic clergymen - a Jesuite at the French Bakery is a yummy flakey pastry with a sweet topping - google images has wonderful photos of them - search under Jesuite pastry! Then get down to the bakery a try one out - you will be back for more! Fair warning!!!

brercottage385

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks I went down this morning and bought one, funny we bought one about 10 years ago in Grandville and we have been talking about it ever since.
Never knew what the name of the pastry was.
This was is ok nothing like the one from Grandville. I think it is the second time I see this pastry and God knows I go crazy when I go home.
The middle is frangipane and the top is some hard sugar. I like them as they are not that sweet.

The one we had was like a mille feuilles with the topping and the stuffing of a jesuite, now that was superb .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:31 pm

In last week's Guadalajara Reporter, there was an article on the Lilyfher Deli & Bakery which we both happened to read on the flight home. In the article, it was discussed why they moved from Chapala to Ajijic and we both wish to thank the Reporter for providing us with a great laugh:

"We realized that the economy was much better in Ajijic and that the palates were much more sophisticated," Fernando says."

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Jesus! Does this guy want to be lynched!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Kinda like saying the palates are more sophisticated in Bakersfield than they are in Barstow.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Joke all you want (and I'm the last person to defend local palates here in Mayberry), but Lilyfher is a really nice Bakery/Deli and a great addition to Ajijic. It wouldn't stand a chance in Chapala. Not a pan dulce in sight.

Back to the French place.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Rosa:

My post wasn't meant as any type of critique or comment on the quality of the product produced by this bakery. However, when Ajijic's preeminent food critic equates any breakfast or breakfast item to those purchased at Denny's, the palate comment struck my funny bone!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Rather unfortunately for my waistline, this divine bakery is just around the corner from us. I think I'm going to have to make it a rule that I walk there and back to burn some calories. Even the anticipation of going there starts the digestive juices. Does AN-TI-CI-PA-TION burn any calories? I can only hope!
Eclairs and milles feuilles are to DIE for. Wasn't stuck on the presentation of the meringues because I'm simply used to smaller bitesize ones that you pop into your mouth and have them melt on your tongue. Those are the three things that we have tried so far and I'm hoping to NOT expand my knowledge....for obvious reasons.
C'est SI bon!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:40 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:However, when Ajijic's preeminent food critic equates any breakfast or breakfast item to those purchased at Denny's, the palate comment struck my funny bone!

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about in the above. The way I read your original post, you were quoting the owner of the Lilyfher bakery from an article in the Guadalajara Reporter. Anyway, back to the French place (you do know that's not the same place, right?). I need to check out the French bakery more thoroughly.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Just go to the place and get there early. EVERYTHING is awesome, but, they sellout by noon, with slim pickins after that. These francophone folks know their game. Next time down I'm going to special order an "Opera" cake. That's my kind of birthday cake.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:03 am

ferret wrote: Wasn't stuck on the presentation of the meringues because I'm simply used to smaller bitesize ones that you pop into your mouth and have them melt on your tongue.

When I was there Friday to buy chocolate croissants for DH, I saw some smaller meringues, probably 6 or 8, in a cello package beside the larger ones. The meringues are the only goodies I can eat there (damn gluten intolerance), but I can drool.

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 am

Yes we are not the Napa valley but we are also not Barstow or Bakersfield LOL. Fernando makes wonderful rye bread. I am glad to have both bakeries
available to us.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 am

and they are, Bakersfield has a large Armenian population which at least brings diversity to the cuisine. Barstow may have a few "gourmets" but I never met them not even at Burger KIng!.

The French place is a patisserie not a bakery( boulangerie) English is such a poor in vocabulary language... In France there are 2 licenses one for boulanger who make breads and one for the patisseries who make cakes. Some places have both licenses but some do not. This place would be called a patisserie not a boulangerie as he does not have breads.

The croissants , pains au chocolat, pains au raisins and viennoiseries are not eaten with lunch or dinner and not considered as bread. They are eaten for breakfast or at 4or 5 in the afternoon for an afternoon snack for the kids or the old ladies. Usually boulangeries and patisseries sell those.

In San Cristobal we have a wonderful baker , I asked once if he was planning to make fruit tarts and he said," I have to stick with what I am good at, I am a boulanger". I was told off real fast for even suggesting that he made patisseries! Thank Goodness we also have a French patissier in town but I have to say that the one in Ajijic is better.

So all we need now in Ajijic is a French baker who makes the breads and we are all on our way to be very thin since, the French as a rule are thin...By the way the Rye bread at the other place is wonderful as well.

Last edited by brigitte on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Elita Guzman Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:37 am

"We realized that the economy was much better in Ajijic and that the palates were much more sophisticated," Fernando says."

Man!!! People got to be careful about making this kind of statement... I hope people from Chapala don't get mad at him and stop buying his products Rolling Eyes
Elita Guzman
Elita Guzman

Humor : Depends :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 am

brigitte wrote:and they are, Bakersfield has a large Armenian population which at least brings diversity to the cuisine. Barstow may have a few "gourmets" but I never met them not even at Burger KIng!.

The French place is a patisserie not a bakery( boulangerie) English is such a poor in vocabulary language... In France there are 2 licenses one for boulanger who make breads and one for the patisseries who make cakes. Some places have both licenses but some do not. This place would be called a patisserie not a boulangerie as he does not have breads.

The croissants , pains au chocolat, pains au raisins and viennoiseries are not eaten with lunch or dinner and not considered as bread. They are eaten for breakfast or at 4or 5 in the afternoon for an afternoon snack for the kids or the old ladies. Usually boulangeries and patisseries sell those.

In San Cristobal we have a wonderful baker , I asked once if he was planning to make fruit tarts and he said," I have to stick with what I am good at, I am a boulanger". I was told off real fast for even suggesting that he made patisseries! Thank Goodness we also have a French patissier in town but I have to say that the one in Ajijic is better.

So all we need now in Ajijic is a French baker who makes the breads and we are all on our way to be very thin since, the French as a rule are thin...By the way the Rye bread at the other place is wonderful as well.

Thanks for the bakery knowledge. I would love to walk somewhere and pick up real french bread.

Barstow has a good mexican resturant down by the roadway inn (great place to stay cheap, clean and taken care of) but that is about it. Spent too much
time in Barstow. Walked the whole town many times. Gourmet ....no. Interesting about Bakersfield LOL. I usually eat at the in and out burger so I obviously don't know.

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next