INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permanentes - how long are they taking?

+12
E-raq
hound dog
brigitte
viajero
Luisa
wheels
Zedinmexico
saege007
joec
TexMex
MexicoPete
merry
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Permanentes - how long are they taking? - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanentes - how long are they taking?

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 am

Rosa Venus wrote:I don't think SRE has updated the "path to citizenship" language/rules to conform to the new INM processes. A couple years ago, I changed to an FM2/Inmigrante because that was previously the process to eventually gain citizenship. Ironically, that has now (under the new rules) set me back a few years. If I had stayed with an FM3/Non-Inmigrante, my card would have a magic number 4 on the back, and I'd be ready to apply for permanente in April without needing to submit mountains of financial info. Not now since I only have "1" refrendo on my Inmigrante visa. Ooops and sigh.

Geez, that's not too good. Sorry.

Here's the deal, I speak Spanish, so language is not a problem. All I need to do is study up on a bit of Mexican History, have a book on that, and so it should be pretty easy I hope. I'm just wondering about how long after I get permanente can I apply for citizenship, or can I just apply now and be done with it?

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Permanentes - how long are they taking? - Page 2 Empty Re: Permanentes - how long are they taking?

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:40 pm

E-raq wrote:
Here's the deal, I speak Spanish, so language is not a problem. All I need to do is study up on a bit of Mexican History, have a book on that, and so it should be pretty easy I hope. I'm just wondering about how long after I get permanente can I apply for citizenship, or can I just apply now and be done with it?

You used to be able to go directly to a citizenship application after having completed a certain number of years (I think 5) on an FM2/Inmigrante, without first taking the step to Inmigrado. At least, that's what I've read many times before. Currently under the new rules, everything suggests that the new Residente Permanente replaces the old Inmigrado. Now, whether or not you can still skip Inmigrado/Residente Permanente and go directly to a Citizenship application, I don't know.

Since you speak, and presumably read, Spanish, I'd keep my eyes on the SRE website for new information on citizenship application reglas.

SRE

That's a link to the main page. Just go to tramites/servicios and look for the info. I've never gotten any love direct-linking to specific pages before so....

Also, there is a "practice test/study guide" pdf file available on that site for the citizenship test. Something like a hundred questions to study. I was pleasantly surprised at how many I already knew without having studied for it at all. (It's also really interesting to see the variety and types of culturally significant questions they do ask within the mix.) There's some page buried in there that even suggests which book of Mexican history to read to study for the test. I can't be bothered to dig up that info.

Since Residente Permanente status is an easy slam dunk for you at this point, you might consider just putting that in your pocket for the time being and dealing with the Citizenship question once all this dust - damn there's a lot of it - finally settles. Good luck.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks Rosa Venus, great suggestions. Think I will hold off. We don't do our permanente until the end of march, Easter, wouldn't you know.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm

E-raq wrote:Thanks Rosa Venus, great suggestions. Think I will hold off. We don't do our permanente until the end of march, Easter, wouldn't you know.

Raq, if I was here, Deb and I would bring you an Easter Egg........ Beer Going to be in Az, next year I promise a multi colored ....hidem and findem! Just kidden...Have a Happy Easter,

Jim n Deb
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Jim W wrote:
E-raq wrote:Thanks Rosa Venus, great suggestions. Think I will hold off. We don't do our permanente until the end of march, Easter, wouldn't you know.

Raq, if I was here, Deb and I would bring you an Easter Egg........ Beer Going to be in Az, next year I promise a multi colored ....hidem and findem! Just kidden...Have a Happy Easter,

Jim n Deb

Very good of you two. perhaps by then I'll have a touch of the ?Zeimers and can hide my own eggs, make new friends every day........... Beer

Happy Easter, it's pollen season. Best to be in Az. IMO.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 am

TexMex wrote:Submitted permanente application on Jan 18, four weeks later (Feb 15), received notice to go to Guad, went this week for fingerprinting, etc, and was told the same thing as Pete - it would take about 20 working days for the permanente card to arrive from Mexico City.

So why did you have to go to Guad? I thought they did everything here?
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:44 am

E-raq wrote:O.K. so nobody has actually received a card yet to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's our situation, the pool boy wants to go permanente, no big deal we're going to be on our fourth FM2. I want to go for citizenship, so anyone have any idea when I can do that? Do I have to get permanente first, and then apply?

Yup we just spoke to Alvaro (Lawyer) at LCS Friday and he said you have to go Permanente and then can apply for citizenship anytime after that.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TexMex Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 am

Hensley wrote:
TexMex wrote:Submitted permanente application on Jan 18, four weeks later (Feb 15), received notice to go to Guad, went this week for fingerprinting, etc, and was told the same thing as Pete - it would take about 20 working days for the permanente card to arrive from Mexico City.

So why did you have to go to Guad? I thought they did everything here?

Submitted application at Chapala office. Since this is a new visa and not a renewal of an existing visa, had to go to Guad for fingerprinting and completing the paperwork. As I understand, this is the way it worked under the old rules, too. If you were on an FM3 and completed five years (initial year and four renewals), then you were basically applying for a new temporary visa and had to go thru the complete process again.
TexMex
TexMex

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 am

Hensley wrote:
E-raq wrote:O.K. so nobody has actually received a card yet to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's our situation, the pool boy wants to go permanente, no big deal we're going to be on our fourth FM2. I want to go for citizenship, so anyone have any idea when I can do that? Do I have to get permanente first, and then apply?

Yup we just spoke to Alvaro (Lawyer) at LCS Friday and he said you have to go Permanente and then can apply for citizenship anytime after that.

Super, thanks Hensley.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 pm

For Merry...this was posted on the Our Vallarta Board by pnLibby...thought it might help.
We handed in our paperwork on January 29th for Residente Permanente based on 4 years residency. No financials were asked for.

We were fingerprinted today, February 27th, and they said to return for the cards in 3 weeks. So, total of 7 weeks.

Unfortunately, we also had to do a trámite for a Permiso de Salida y Regreso (a permit to leave and return from Mexico is your application is still pending). If anyone has to leave when your paperwork is pending, read this for requirements and details. It´s quite a complicated process and the list they give you for requirements when you go in to get the payment form (It´s 320 pesos per person and is good for 60 days) doesn´t have everything they want listed. Hopefully this will help someone else.
I posted this on Mexico Connect, the Living and Working sub-Forum

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=187130;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Last edited by ferret on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link didn't work the first time)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks Ferret! Really helpful to know.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2