INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

+17
CheenaGringo
CanuckBob
slainte39
hound dog
plumlake
CHILLIN
espíritu del lago
brigitte
DaveP
joec
Trailrunner
ComputerGuy
Marrell
gringal
Zedinmexico
Rosa Venus
solajijic
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews Empty LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

Post by solajijic Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Anyone else do the interview with D Truly about the $1.5 million captial improvement plans and resultant need for a fundraising campaign?

Basically its a teardown and rebuild existing buildings, add a administrative office area where the ticket kiosk is now and move the food to the James house patio.

What did you think of the plans? The possibility of raising such a sum?

My initial reaction is they are not looking too far into the future with their plans. How relevant is a book library and a DVD/magazine room when electronic is fast taking over those areas. Without addressing the parking ssue they are limiting their membership and activities. Maybe it shouldn't be in the village anymore?

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews Empty Re: LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

At the current exchange rate, $1.5 million MXN equals just under $120,000 US. I would put the chances of raising that at less than zero (unless they sell off some property).

Haven't seen the plans.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews Empty Re: LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

Post by solajijic Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Its $1.5 million US dollars....

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Sell the Wilkes center move the spanish stuff back to the September 16th and
than maybe we would have an organization with both spanish and english in
one area rather than the two seperated facilities one being english and one
being spanish. Yep lots of money to be raised and yes it will be a difficult job
and yes it will take time.

Ok poke away LOL!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm

A vast sum and a terrible idea. I seem to remember this circulating before the last election and not getting much of a positive response. How much administrative area does an organization of that size need?
Selling off both that property and the Wilkes center might raise enough to put the LCS in a more accessible area WITH parking. That's valuable dirt.

More fund raisers? The last one cost so much that many members couldn't afford the $450 per person ticket. As far as the library is concerned, it's true that many people are turning to electronic books, but IMO, they need a more astute book selection committee and should be exploring the possibility of obtaining the electronic versions as a library source, the same as they do in the States.

And no, I'm not a volunteer nor do I intend to be, so I'm just posting an opinion. My involvement is limited to paying my membership dues.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 pm

solajijic wrote:Its $1.5 million US dollars....

Oh, well, that's a different matter altogether.

Are you saying the $1.5 million US is essentially for nicer/newer/bigger buildings on the current campus to continue doing what they're doing now? That's "the plan"? In order to comment seriously, somebody'll have to post some details of what they have in mind. There must be more to it. Otherwise, the only words that come to mind are....

...delusional
...ridiculous
...wha???
...April Fools!
...must be a joke
...out of their minds
...pfffffffffft!!!

But mostly "delusional".
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm

As someone who was also interviewed and regardless of my opinions
pro and con, there are some major omissions with incomplete information
in the OP's post. And this is a FEASIBILITY study - and parking is being
taken into account. Set questions but plenty of opportunity to express one's opinion as to what might be best for the future - with suggestions also
being recorded.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Can't comment specifically without seeing where the money is going.

However, just like the last time this pointless exercise reared its ugly head, when are gringos going to stop trying to run everything like back home? Does this proposal include a needless elevator, too? The LCS is so far removed from its original purpose it makes me ill.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Marrell; where can we see this feasibility study showing where the money would be going? And, even more importantly, what projections and plans are for raising this money, over what time period?

Will the members be able to vote on it, for or against, when decision time comes?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Jeez, just plain silly. The buildings and grounds are breathtaking and what I like most about being there is trying to visualize what life must have been like when the LCS was inhabited by Neill James and her adventurous expat pals.

Allowing a bunch of old gringos to tear down this lovely place and rebuild to suit their ideas of how it should be would be a crime and it's charm would be lost forever. I'm with HG on this one for sure!

LEAVE IT ALONE! Repair or add on, if you must, but LEAVE IT ALONE.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm

The buildings and grounds are breathtaking and what I like most about being there is trying to visualize what life must have been like when the LCS was inhabited by Neill James and her adventurous expat pals.

I feel exactly the same way. Well said.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 pm

What a joke? Who would contribute to improving that dumpy place? Since they raised the dues quite a few years ago we stopped being members. Never used their services or facilities anyway.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am

Maybe if they stopped emphazising Americans and started applying an emphasis to all expats (Canadians, English, Europeans et al) they might get a better membership and participation. As long as they talk about being an American organization they are cutting out other nationalities. I WILL NOT JOIN AS LONG AS THEY CONTINUE WITH THEIR CURRENT ATTITUDE TOWARDS OTHER NATIONALITIES. I am Canadian.

Why is the Canadian Consul not invited to attend on a monthly basis? There are probably more Canadians here than Americans now. Everything is geared towards Americans. They are not the only nationality in the world

Get real LCS and open your doors to other nationalities and and welcome ALL. Openly.

Maybe the Chili Cook Off committee should take over. It would give us a place to meet, 5 Mexicans, 4 Canadians and 1 American. 250 to 300 volunteers all nationalities. We get it done.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 am

Trailrunner wrote:Jeez, just plain silly. The buildings and grounds are breathtaking and what I like most about being there is trying to visualize what life must have been like when the LCS was inhabited by Neill James and her adventurous expat pals.

Allowing a bunch of old gringos to tear down this lovely place and rebuild to suit their ideas of how it should be would be a crime and it's charm would be lost forever. I'm with HG on this one for sure!

Yes they are breathtaking and new paint and alot of cleaning up over the last few years has made things look better. Look is the key word. We have
plastic on the ceiling in the library to try to keep things dry. We had to remove bookcases due to termites. I ran around for a week putting electrical
tape on the bare AC wires hooking up the lights in many areas. We have bad neutral to ground problems and many non grounded sockets. We can make
it look nicer in many ways but fixing some of the inside problems is not so easy. If you work there on the buildings you would know more. I have no idea
if the old buildings can be fixed. Our storage area for the overflow books (popular duplicates) has to have a dehumidifier as the buildings are just too wet
and moldy. We have to store computer paper with dry ease to try to keep the paper moisture down. Have you looked at the trip hazards in the coffee
area? I have caught two people falling down because of the situation of the floor. It goes on and on and on.

Folks you have a romantic notion about this place that doesn't match the truth of the condition of the buildings and infrastructure. I am not saying you folks
are not right. But please lets be honest about the condition of the many of these buildings. If we don't build new we do have to rebuild the roofs on the old
buildings and where do we store the books for the library for example? Something has to change eventually. We just can't keep patching stuff that has been patched before.

If you really care give your feedback to LCS, Join, and Volunteer and before you judge the usefulness of the organization find out what LCS really does.

Poke away.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 am

As stated previously, there is an ongoing FEASIBILITY study being conducted. At this point no information is available to the public - and the results, yea or nay or maybe, are not yet determined. LCS is not conducting the survey themselves.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 am

I'd love to know what LCS is paying for that "Feasibility Study". I'm assuming someone is being paid.

Even if they tore down the building and rebuilt it to appear like the older buildings there, it could be done by an honest contractor for a reasonable amount of money. I, too, like the way the grounds look now.

As for storage of books........may I suggest the local storage facility near Domino's Pizza.

Alternatively, the person who has the three story monstrosity across from LCS on 16 Septiembre with a fourth story in the basement is trying to sell it for $139K US. Lots of storage or office space. Plenty of security, too. I'd like that idea since I have faith that LCS would get rid of the crucifix metal sculpture hanging on the front and the doolibobs painted all over.

Yes, we absolutely need some serious home improvements at LCS, but it's the kind of situation ripe for picking and turning into a real boondoggle.
A million and a half US bucks? To be raised by doing what? Monthly Fiestas?

mariachi

Last edited by gringal on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 am

Zed - It's very nice of you and really great that you take an interest and did all that.

Now ask yourself, do you really think the members appreciate it? It's like being an Officer in a condo. Thankless job.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Jeez, just plain silly. The buildings and grounds are breathtaking and what I like most about being there is trying to visualize what life must have been like when the LCS was inhabited by Neill James and her adventurous expat pals.

Yes they are breathtaking and new paint and alot of cleaning up over the last few years has made things look better. Look is the key word. We have
plastic on the ceiling in the library to try to keep things dry. We had to remove bookcases due to termites. I ran around for a week putting electrical
tape on the bare AC wires hooking up the lights in many areas. We have bad neutral to ground problems and many non grounded sockets. We can make
it look nicer in many ways but fixing some of the inside problems is not so easy. If you work there on the buildings you would know more. I have no idea
if the old buildings can be fixed. Our storage area for the overflow books (popular duplicates) has to have a dehumidifier as the buildings are just too wet
and moldy. We have to store computer paper with dry ease to try to keep the paper moisture down. Have you looked at the trip hazards in the coffee
area? I have caught two people falling down because of the situation of the floor. It goes on and on and on.

Folks you have a romantic notion about this place that doesn't match the truth of the condition of the buildings and infrastructure. I am not saying you folks
are not right. But please lets be honest about the condition of the many of these buildings. If we don't build new we do have to rebuild the roofs on the old
buildings and where do we store the books for the library for example? Something has to change eventually. We just can't keep patching stuff that has been patched before.

If you really care give your feedback to LCS, Join, and Volunteer and before you judge the usefulness of the organization find out what LCS really does.

Poke away.

Z

Many non- Americans see LCS as an US enclave. You have to change your image. Appeal to and provide for other nationalities. Invite other Consuls and Ambassadors. There are more full time residents from other nationalities than the US. Get the image that shows that you embrace all nationalities and maybe you will get more help and a higher membership. LCS currently appears to have tunnel vision. You are catering to a static or declining population.

Last edited by DaveP on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 am

Having done a few thankless jobs, I already know how much appreciation you don't get. LOL. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 am

I disagree with Dave P, I am a European and do not fee excluded at all, they just do not offer anything I have to have.
The library and film library are made obsolete by Kindle, Netflix and a few other things. Classes can be had without going there. It has become obsolete and it needs to reinvent itself or die.

A building and its ground need upkeep and especially an old building, the grounds are very pleasant but it is a high price to pay to have a pleasant place to go to have a cup of tea or whatever and chat with your friends.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 am

No ZMan, I haven't looked at the floor nor do I work there. I was a member when I first arrived but I find it does not suit my needs now and is irrelevant for me. However, you are to be commended for your passion and volunteer work at LCS! Do I want to volunteer there? Not a chance. I volunteer in other ways in the community that gives me a deep sense of satisfaction and time well spent. I would not have that feeling volunteering at the LCS.

Many good points have been made on this thread. My reason for not going to the LCS is I feel an air of 'smugness' and 'private old gringo boys club' at the LCS that I find offensive.

Just my humble opinion.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am

brigitte wrote:I disagree with Dave P, I am a European and do not fee excluded at all, they just do not offer anything I have to have.
The library and film library are made obsolete by Kindle, Netflix and a few other things. Classes can be had without going there. It has become obsolete and it needs to reinvent itself or die.

A building and its ground need upkeep and especially an old building, the grounds are very pleasant but it is a high price to pay to have a pleasant place to go to have a cup of tea or whatever and chat with your friends.

OMG! I could not agree more. I do not consider the place even close to being well maintained.

I also didn't know they catered to only Americans. I thought the organization was for all expats, Canadians and Europeans. They gotta wake up.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 am

Many good points have been made on this thread. My reason for not going to the LCS is I feel an air of 'smugness' and 'private old gringo boys club' at the LCS that I find offensive.

Just my humble opinion.

So did I and I am an American.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am

joec wrote:
brigitte wrote:I disagree with Dave P, I am a European and do not fee excluded at all, they just do not offer anything I have to have.

OMG! I could not agree more. I do not consider the place even close to being well maintained.

I also didn't know they catered to only Americans. I thought the organization was for all expats, Canadians and Europeans. They gotta wake up.

This is not my point. It is their image that is the problem. Everyone appears to be welcome. Their image is that they cater only to Americans.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 am

DaveP wrote:
joec wrote:

This is not my point. It is their image that is the problem. Everyone appears to be welcome. Their image is that they cater only to Americans.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next