INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

+17
CheenaGringo
CanuckBob
slainte39
hound dog
plumlake
CHILLIN
espĂ­ritu del lago
brigitte
DaveP
joec
Trailrunner
ComputerGuy
Marrell
gringal
Zedinmexico
Rosa Venus
solajijic
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews - Page 4 Empty Re: LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

Post by brigitte Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

The kindle library has merit , maybe Amazon would be interested in donating some since it would be good advertising for them and would eventually bring them more clients, the more people use them the more they will sell. It would be a pimple in their adv budget. Maybe they could be conviced on starting a Kindle library for the LCS.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews - Page 4 Empty Re: LCS major capital improvement campaign interviews

Post by gringal Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 am

brigitte wrote:I bet you could find some Brit, French and other ex colonial clubs in Africa and Asia that are older idf you even looked but why bother. The US world sure is small.

Gringal, here you go with details...

I know: picky, picky, picky.

A million and a half U.S. dollars with allowance for a 20% overrun...........details, details.

But pickily speaking:..............$$$$$$$.?????? People nowadays have been pitching a bitch about the yearly dues.
If there's an Afterlife and they let adventurous ladies with a generous spirit join, Neill James must be torn between a state of Pissed Off and ROFL.

Seriously: what I see in the future is a bankrupt LCS as a result of a well meaning organization reaching way beyond their grasp. This is the same mentality that puts governments and individuals into debt they can't climb out of.
That is, unless a number of the population decides that donating or willing large sums of money to LCS is the highest and best use of it. That's called Hope, not a business plan.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am

solajijic wrote: There is also the real possibility that senior housing developments would by nature offer a community center with activities and services on site. So if that is the future of growth in the area then LCS is really irrelevant in its present form.

This is huge!

I've been told the biggest of these planned projects has already broken ground in West Ajijic. They plan on being a complete community and they will surely have a community center with all the bells and whistles.

Unfortunately, it sounds like all this is probably falling on deaf ears, closed minds, and self-serving ideals. Vamos a ver.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 pm

[quote="solajijic"]Lake Chapala Society Campus Enhancement Project

Introduction
The Lake Chapala Society (LCS) is the largest and oldest foreign community organization in the world. Founded in
1955 by a handful of foreigners, the Society has served an important role in both the foreign and Mexican
communities for the past 58 years.

Get serious. The oldest "foreign community organization in the world" was founded in 1955? Perhaps in the 16th Century to be kind during colonial times and perhaps one of those in San Cristóbal de Las Casas where we live half the year and the Spanish had their "foreign community organization" in that city´s historic center about 1550 - primarily to enslave the indigenous and "encourage" their aid in protecting the Spanish enclave and providing food from their milpas. Just as Ava Gardner can´t depend on her assets in the 1940s that attracted Bogie, the LCS should forget what it was in the entirely different 1950s, especially at Lake Chapala, and linger on the thought of what could be achieved in the future with all these community and physical assets in place all these years even if nearly moribiund since at least 2000. What relevance does the LCS have to today´s Lakeside as a community of all not just a few Canasta players and coffee drinkers? As managed at present, if they disappeared tomorrow they would be gone with the wind and remembered only by those discovering old rented VCRs of Rock Hudson & Doris Day movies in the closet under a pile of the deceased Uncle Albert´s old jockey shorts.

The typical American solution in these lazy times when innovative thought disturbs the status quo. Throw money at something, sit back in the chaise lounge and watch it grow of its own accord. Restructure buildings rather than minds. Don´t worry about where the money is coming from. Call that guy with the weird hair.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Great logic Zed! Talk to the folks still participating at LCS to get more of the same while ignoring the opinions of people outside of LCS who may represent potential new members. Sooner or later, you will achieve nirvana with one remaining member and one opinion.

I did what I said I was going to do. LCS management has read this string. You folks can think whatever you want to and you will.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 pm

By the way, while Solajijic and I are often not in accord on various issues, I applaud her posting above recommending ways to reorganize the LCS to make it more effective in today´s community evironment. Not that I agree with all of her ideas but this sort of forward thinking is what is needed. Some ideas to be implemented and some to fail but, overall, a rejuvenation of a social club gone aimless and sour (in my opinion). The underlying intellectual and physical assets are there awaiting fresh thought not newly renovated administrative and functionary quarters.

I would never rejoin the LCS in any proposed re-incarnation. Communities are not brought together by isolated clubs even if they engage in limited community outreach or the development of fenced in communities segregating various community factions from one another. Not that that is not the way it is in many places but why contribute to this phenomenon, I say?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Just a non-combative question, Zed. Did you talk to anyone who wasn't already a member and on the grounds of LCS?
I currently use the facilities, know that the library has more current volumes and that the video facility is well used and has a decent selection, unlike Dawg's assessment in a recent post.

My objection to the proposal is strictly based on the financial feasibility of undertaking such an enormous project rather than approaching some of this with a "fix it" rather than a "teardown" mentality.

I live in a ancient "fixed" house and the cost of restoration was vastly less than tearing it down and rebuilding new. Minor example, true........but it's about a mind set of frugality and living within one's means, one which has served me well and allowed me to have a debt-free, comfortable retirement.

I also know what it ought to cost to build a new structure, having currently done so. Dividing up a million and half US dollars into comparable increments results in many more new structures than proposed. Whoever is making the estimates is leaving a very generous cushion for profit. One can't blame them, but do we want that kind of debt?

But then, I freely admit to not being in the Vision sector of thought. That last time I encountered that, a paid for Art Center with an excellent exhibit and classroom area, plus pleasant grounds was about to be tossed into part of the the financing for a dream cluster of "affordable live/work art studios, exhibition areas and community facilities" which are heading for the latrine ten years later. Fortunately, the hard headed membership voted the idea down before papers were signed. The Art Center still stands, paid for, albeit frequently repaired, and the dream is dissolving on the other side of town. That's WITH generous government grants, not likely to happen in Mexico. The excuse given by the proponents was that the city was losing it's artists due to affordability issues.
Artists have always known when the gentrification movement will drive them elsewhere, and they cope by moving. Such is life. Holding back the tide simply resulted in a profitable boondoggle for someone.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 pm

gringal wrote:Just a non-combative question, Zed. Did you talk to anyone who wasn't already a member and on the grounds of LCS?
I currently use the facilities, know that the library has more current volumes and that the video facility is well used and has a decent selection, unlike Dawg's assessment in a recent post.

My objection to the proposal is strictly based on the financial feasibility of undertaking such an enormous project rather than approaching some of this with a "fix it" rather than a "teardown" mentality.

I live in a ancient "fixed" house and the cost of restoration was vastly less than tearing it down and rebuilding new. Minor example, true........but it's about a mind set of frugality and living within one's means, one which has served me well and allowed me to have a debt-free, comfortable retirement.

I also know what it ought to cost to build a new structure, having currently done so. Dividing up a million and half US dollars into comparable increments results in many more new structures than proposed. Whoever is making the estimates is leaving a very generous cushion for profit. One can't blame them, but do we want that kind of debt?

But then, I freely admit to not being in the Vision sector of thought. That last time I encountered that, a paid for Art Center with an excellent exhibit and classroom area, plus pleasant grounds was about to be tossed into part of the the financing for a dream cluster of "affordable live/work art studios, exhibition areas and community facilities" which are heading for the latrine ten years later. Fortunately, the hard headed membership voted the idea down before papers were signed. The Art Center still stands, paid for, albeit frequently repaired, and the dream is dissolving on the other side of town. That's WITH generous government grants, not likely to happen in Mexico. The excuse given by the proponents was that the city was losing it's artists due to affordability issues.
Artists have always known when the gentrification movement will drive them elsewhere, and they cope by moving. Such is life. Holding back the tide simply resulted in a profitable boondoggle for someone.

I don't know who is a member or not as many people use the grounds, use the computer, eat at the coffee shop who are not members but I am guessing
that most were members. I don't mind your comments above at all. They are constructive. Folks I did what you wanted. LCS management has read this
forum. You have been heard.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks, Zed. I appreciate your cooperation in bringing these comments to the attention of management.
Personally, I would like to see LCS continue and improve.
I know that you are a volunteer who contributes his efforts to the many projects there.

I don't think many of the members would be willing to stand up and give contrary opinions at the meeting, so it's a good thing our written words will at least be read. I doubt any minds will be changed, but mine was an attempt at offering alternative ideas.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm

gringal wrote:Thanks, Zed. I appreciate your cooperation in bringing these comments to the attention of management.
Personally, I would like to see LCS continue and improve.
I know that you are a volunteer who contributes his efforts to the many projects there.

I don't think many of the members would be willing to stand up and give contrary opinions at the meeting, so it's a good thing our written words will at least be read. I doubt any minds will be changed, but mine was an attempt at offering alternative ideas.

I think they might think about it. Isn't that a start for most ideas or basis for change?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 pm

If they think about it with open minds, that's good enough.

Here's another odd thought that occurred to me: Most bequests come from those who are elderly. No family, no other ties. So let's say I'm getting up into my 80's and there's nobody to leave my property or money to. My best times were the morning coffee on the LCS patio and maybe some card games along with picking up a movie and a book or two to take home.

But then the Great Construction starts and my comfort zone is being destroyed, to be replaced "some day" by something new and wonderful. The din is maddening in the present. However, at my age...."someday" has little meaning. Ya think I'm still going to leave LCS my estate?

At that point, Cruz Roja might seem like a worthier cause and a move to one of the new retirement complexes Trailrunner mentioned, a better place to move and have a nice life.

Something else to think about. There are many alternatives to the chaos of construction.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 am

Go BIG.

There are a lot of 'needs' listed on this and other boards that people want...a good clean well-equipped health club/exercise rooms. A good clean large (heated for winter) swimming pool. Meeting spaces with roofs over them, a sort of indoor auditorium....and yes, if multi-floor, an elevator will be required.

Expansion does not mean the beautiful gardens will disappear....but if more land is needed, the new building can be designed with rooftop gardens...that's a very green way to go, these days.

The best way to expand the base to include Mexican nationals is to have LONGER hours. Mexicans WORK....often until daylight ends. LCS should have evening programs: music, bi-lingual plays/shows, even a nice eatery.

I've always felt that LCS should include a child care center where all of "our" maids can drop their young ones, when working. And having the laughter and sight of little kids on the grounds would be a welcome reminder of our own grandkids. It would also send a strong positive message to the Mexican community that we care about them and appreciate their hard work.

Those of you bashing LCS can't have it both ways....you go on and on about how 'out of touch' they are, but now, when they are looking to the future, you bash them for that!

Let them modernize, change with the times.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am

Sideways:
Your ideas would be great and I'm all for what you suggest. Modernization is definitely desirable as a goal. However, LCS is constantly having fund raisers and is supposedly operating on a shoestring under present conditions. We're not in the U.S. where the government can be persuaded to give large grants to organizations for the good of all, whether it increases debt or not.

I'm not one of those bashing LCS. (The worst basher has a long term grudge against LCS) I'm just a practical soul wondering how those dreams can possibly become a reality here in Mexico where most government entities are not interested in expat dreams, and when they follow some of their own dreams.........end up deeply in debt and stiffing their creditors, as is happening all over Jalisco.
Locally, they can't even finish the local Plaza improvements in Ajijic for lack of funds.

How about you making some suggestions as to how a million and a half (with a 20% allowance for over ride) U.S. dollars can be raised to accomplish those dreams? I'm listening .

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4