INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Bad To Worse?

5 posters

Go down

From Bad To Worse? Empty From Bad To Worse?

Post by espíritu del lago Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:19 am

LED vs CFL

Today CFL:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8462626/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html

Tomorrow LED:
http://krisdedecker.typepad.com/.a/6a00e0099229e88833014e86a4a212970d-pi

Just ask the circling moths... Obviously being friendly to the environment is different from being friendly to humans.

espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

From Bad To Worse? Empty Re: From Bad To Worse?

Post by SunFan Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 am

So far I've replaced about twenty 50 watt halogens with 3.5 watt white LED's. Not quite as bright but fine for hallways, stairways etc.

If my feeble memory serves the cost was only about $8 USD per light labour included.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 am

Well you can avoid the too blue color problem by buying CFB that have a white
temperature of 2700degrees Kelvin which is the same off white that you get
with a GE 100 watt soft white bulb. Walmart has them and they are labeled
in Spanish "Luz Calida". They look slightly yellow compared to the white/blue
color that the higher degrees Kelvin bulbs. Problem solved unless you like the
uber white CFB. I have been using Luz Calida bulbs for years. Problem solved.

You can solve the LED chemical problem by not breaking the bulb same as not
breaking a CFB as they have very small amounts of mercury in them. Problem
solved.

As far as the chemicals being created from using a CFB I agree that this needs
more study. Luckily who has a airtight house in Mexico LOL. It is kinda hard to
understand why chemicals would be created from a CFB. I would also like to
point out that they did not tell us how much was created. Are these folks talking
about parts per million or billion. If so I would be worried about my gardeners
chemicals first. Not enough info here. Problem not solved if it is a problem at all.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 am

The GHG and emissions from generating the extra power for incandescent lamps vs CFL is significant. I'll stay with the CFL; until the LED lighting is more reasonably priced.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 pm

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/crees-led-bulb-looks-like-an-incandescent-and-lights-like-one-for-under-10-2013035/

The mainstay bulb in the series will be the $13 warm white (2700K) 60W-replacement. This $14 bulb will produce 800 lumens at 9.5W (84.2 lumens-per-watt). Cree is going for an incandescent-like experience so they opted for 2700K instead of 3000K, which has efficiency benefits but offers a cooler tone. Like the other two bulbs in the series, this model is dimmable, has a CRI of 80, and is rated for 25,000 hours of use.

The line of Cree LED bulbs (that’s actually the name) will include three models: a warm white 60W-equivalent at $12.97, a daylight 60W-equivalent at $13.97, and a warm white 40W-equivalent at $9.97. In other words, Cree isn’t only coming out with a line of bulbs they are also breaking the $10 mark, something which competitors are not going to be able to ignore. All three of the bulbs will be available from HomeDepot.com today and in Home Depots by the end of the month.

The $14 60W-equivalent model runs at 5000K and produces 800 lumens at 9.0W (88.9 lpw). The $10 40W-equivalent bulb will produce 450 lumens at 6W (75 lpw) with a color temperature of 2700K
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 am

espíritu del lago wrote:http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/crees-led-bulb-looks-like-an-incandescent-and-lights-like-one-for-under-10-2013035/

The mainstay bulb in the series will be the $13 warm white (2700K) 60W-replacement. This $14 bulb will produce 800 lumens at 9.5W (84.2 lumens-per-watt). Cree is going for an incandescent-like experience so they opted for 2700K instead of 3000K, which has efficiency benefits but offers a cooler tone. Like the other two bulbs in the series, this model is dimmable, has a CRI of 80, and is rated for 25,000 hours of use.

The line of Cree LED bulbs (that’s actually the name) will include three models: a warm white 60W-equivalent at $12.97, a daylight 60W-equivalent at $13.97, and a warm white 40W-equivalent at $9.97. In other words, Cree isn’t only coming out with a line of bulbs they are also breaking the $10 mark, something which competitors are not going to be able to ignore. All three of the bulbs will be available from HomeDepot.com today and in Home Depots by the end of the month.

The $14 60W-equivalent model runs at 5000K and produces 800 lumens at 9.0W (88.9 lpw). The $10 40W-equivalent bulb will produce 450 lumens at 6W (75 lpw) with a color temperature of 2700K

I got my Par30 LED 2700K bulbs at Costco. Walmart has a great collection of 2700K CFBs look for luz Calida.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 am

You people are wasting money on this crap to save a few pennies in electricity.

Unless you leave ALL the lights on in your houses ALL the time, you will see no savings. The cost of all the bulbs is ridiculous, especially LED'S. You'll be long dead and buried before you can recoup the cost of one LED.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am

joec wrote:You people are wasting money on this crap to save a few pennies in electricity.

Unless you leave ALL the lights on in your houses ALL the time, you will see no savings. The cost of all the bulbs is ridiculous, especially LED'S. You'll be long dead and buried before you can recoup the cost of one LED.

John please stop. You are wrong on this issue. Yes if you don't leave them on it makes no sense but if the bulb is on hours a day it makes sense
financially to change them even pay 30 dollars a bulb if they save 4/5 the electricity. I have done the math John. I also take the bulbs with me
when I move to another rental. I have a pool pump, water fountain, water pump, toaster, blender, stereo and all the stuff one likes and the LED/CFB allow me to stay under DAC. These lights and new fridge (2) keep the bill low. In mexico these bulbs have a very fast payback rate
especially if they keep me under DAC. My payback on bulbs at this house is three to five years. I break even next year and after that it is money
in my pocket.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down