INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trout..

+4
borderreiver
David
Jim W
Pedro
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

trout.. Empty trout..

Post by Pedro Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 pm

... all this large mouth bass fishing is just fine, but i heard once that there are some places in mexico where one can fish for trout. anybody know where? that's my preference with my 2 3/8 once 5' rod and ultra light reel.
and speaking of bass-are there any small mouth, as i find them more tasty and interesting to hunt and catch. i do have some surface poppers that i used for gold eye in the north saskatchewan river right in downtown edmonton.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

trout.. Empty Re: trout..

Post by Jim W Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Several guys from the fishing club found trout fishing lake fairly near here. Why don't you come to the next fishing club meeting? Second Friday every month 10:00 AM @ Dona Lola restaurant, accross from waffle house.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:55 pm

what kind of trout? only brown can survive in warmer water. but they are tasty.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Lake Zirahuen, in the mountains above Patzcuaro close to Santa Clara del Cobre, has trout. It's at about 7500 ft. elev..
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm

when i left eastern canada. and then got my cabin in montana, the main trout species i fished for were rainbow, brook and brown. i actually even found out that i could fish for grayling by driving to whitecourt,alberta. i fished for dolly varden at the base of whistler mountain when i wasn't skiing. brook[speckled trout],dolly varden and lake trout are actually char.
20% of fishermen catch 80% of the fish and i am one of them. as to driving to del cobre,paracho,etc. -been there done that. oh, and to catch bass around here there are some spots within spitting distance of chapala but not as pretty as agua milpa. and actually the only places i ever had a guide was in the james bay watershed and northern quebec[both fly ins] because it was required.
thanks for the location,david-what kind of trout?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 am

The southern Range for trout (of any kind) seems to be Michoacan (sic), as per Mr./Ms. Google. Uruapan appears to have trout and restos to serve it. Personally, securitywise, I don't see myself wandering around that particular state, rod in hand (don't go there) searching for trout. I guess it's a water temp thing. Ecuador has trout and Ecuador is on the ecuador.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:38 am

borderreiver:

If you were to study up on the insecurity in the State of Michoacan, you would find it to be like most any other State. While it is easier to designate the entire State as being dangerous, you would find geographic pockets exist and the "painting with a broad brush" technique hardly provides good coverage. Now if you were to say Acapulco or the area around Apatzingan & Uruapan, I would tend to agree.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 am

There is a large trout hatchery in the Uruapan National Park. I believe they were speckeled trout. I took this picture of my last time there:

trout.. Dsc02710
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:28 pm

i'm ashamed i actually had to look it up but as it turned out i remembered brook/speckled trout ideal temp-68f and below. they are an extremely sensitive fish to temp and environment. if i caught a brook, no matter how small, i kept it as chances are it would die after the trauma. that was also the recommendation of the dept. of swamps and bushes biologists. made fer some small meals sometimes. world wide the german brown trout are the least sensitive followed by rainbow. but rainbow seems to be the trout most artificially stocked. i wonder if that is what's in that lake and hatchery ,bob?
somebody did a blog and described the fish in that lake as lake trout. wadda joke!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 pm

While I have had Lake Zirahuen described to me as a deep water lake, some research just confirmed that the depth is in the 40m to 43m range. From the looks of trout served in restaurants in the area, I am guessing brook and rainbow trout? Not fully educated about hatchery raised stock but in some areas they are sterile and do nothing for the propagation of the species. At 43m of depth, I wouldn't even consider that Lake Zirahuen could even sustain Lake Trout. Maybe Browns?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 pm

I don't want to offend fellow fishermen, but lets get real....Mexico is not "TROUT Habitat friendly" The trout fishing in Mexico is more like farm fishing, no stream, fast water etc. To my fishing friends, incapable of adapting......good luck! This is BASS country, just as the ocean is dorado, Tuna, etc. No Steelhead, No Salmon! No ocean run cuts! READ my lips, this ain't the Northwest, and we ain't in Kansas Toto! Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Probably a good thing because no self respecting trout fisherman would lower themselves to fishing for Billy Bass. It isn't in their genetic makeup to reduce their skill level!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:01 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Probably a good thing because no self respecting trout fisherman would lower themselves to fishing for Billy Bass. It isn't in their genetic makeup to reduce their skill level!

Jeez Neil....stick the Knife in Shocked I am born and raised NW trout/salmon fisher dude Twisted Evil BUT, in all fairness....the big money fresh water fishing goes to the BASS guys! cheers
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm

The Professional Bass Fishermen are double dipping - race up and down lakes trying to act like they know what they are doing and then in the off time, their true talents come out in the "Best of WallyWorld videos".

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:14 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:The Professional Bass Fishermen are double dipping - race up and down lakes trying to act like they know what they are doing and then in the off time, their true talents come out in the "Best of WallyWorld videos".

I thought this was about fishing? Now you get politikal and start double dipping? Basta
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I love to fish. Even more I love catching. However, I want to eat my catch, so it's Ocean only for me down here.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:48 pm

A friend from Patzcuaro just responded to an email inquiry of mine and informed me that: all trout in Lake Zirahuen are either gold trout or cutthroat. Now I am really confused - maybe one of our more enlightened members can fill me in?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm

highly unlikely they are golden trout[although i had heard that they were stocked somewhere in mexico] as these originated in lakes close to the treeline in california. really cold pristine water. your friend may be mistaking rainbow for cutthroat as they are similar except the cut has a red streak at the bottom of the head[throat]. i have only caught these in streams that are nice and cold and clean. those fish in bob's pic sure look like rainbow.
as to bass[especially large mouth] being money fish-ya they are easier to catch-that's why-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:There is a large trout hatchery in the Uruapan National Park. I believe they were speckeled trout. I took this picture of my last time there:

trout.. Dsc02710

One of our trout experts claims these fish look like rainbow trout......can anyone help confirm? I'm no expert but, I can't tell if the are salmon, catfish, bass, perch, trout...etc. Just for arguments sake.....how do you tell what kind of fish they are?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:15 pm

From that photo, I don't see how anyone could possibly identify the particular species. Besides in typical fashion, we Gringos tend to relate in terms of species we already know and do not think that Mexico could have their own species. Well they do:
RIO YAQUI TROUT:
[img]trout.. Yaqui10[/img]
RIO MAYO TROUT:
[img]trout.. Mayo_t10[/img]
MEXICAN GOLDEN TROUT:
[img]trout.. Mexica10[/img]
RIO SAN LORENZO TROUT:
[img]trout.. San_lo10[/img]
RIO PIAXTLA TROUT:
[img]trout.. Piaxtl10[/img]
RIO DE PRESIDIO TROUT:
[img]trout.. Presid10[/img]
RIO BALUARTE TROUT:
[img]trout.. Baluar10[/img]
RIO ACAPONETA TROUT:
[img]trout.. Acapon10[/img]
SIERRA SAN PEDRO MARTIR TROUT:
[img]trout.. Baja_t10[/img]

http://www.americanfishes.com/mexico/index.htm

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

all the cheena pics are golden trout[simply because they are named after a particular river doesn't make them a difernt species of trout] and primarily stream fish or lakes over 6000 feet and require even lower temps than brook. i am a trout fisherman and catching a golden was on my bucket list. until today i never googled it. we trout guys talk amongst ourselves. i don't need a close up to know those are rainbow in the hatchery. i've seen them enough in my lifetime including in hatcheries to know. when i went to gemany in '73,i wanted to catch a german brown but rainbow were stocked everywhere. it's the most stocked trout world wide because it makes a good hatchery fish.
when i lived in the east,i fished mainly fer brook except fer the spring run fer rainbow in the georgian bay water shed. bigest brook i ever caught was in baysville,ontario about 100 yards below the dam[3 1/2 lbs].
i know my trout species and i am a hoser not a gringo. as well as being experienced, i consulted the dept. of swamps and bushes biologists for info when necessary. like when i discovered a dwarf brook in a stream near nordegg alberta but that's another fish story.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Pedro wrote:all the cheena pics are golden trout[simply because they are named after a particular river doesn't make them a difernt species of trout] and primarily stream fish or lakes over 6000 feet and require even lower temps than brook. i am a trout fisherman and catching a golden was on my bucket list. until today i never googled it. we trout guys talk amongst ourselves. i don't need a close up to know those are rainbow in the hatchery. i've seen them enough in my lifetime including in hatcheries to know. when i went to gemany in '73,i wanted to catch a german brown but rainbow were stocked everywhere. it's the most stocked trout world wide because it makes a good hatchery fish.
when i lived in the east,i fished mainly fer brook except fer the spring run fer rainbow in the georgian bay water shed. bigest brook i ever caught was in baysville,ontario about 100 yards below the dam[3 1/2 lbs].
i know my trout species and i am a hoser not a gringo. as well as being experienced, i consulted the dept. of swamps and bushes  biologists for info when necessary. like when i discovered a dwarf brook in a stream near nordegg alberta but that's another fish story.

Jeez, Pedro, isn't there something that you can post about that you actually know what you're talking about?
I grew up trout fishing in northern California, spin and fly, and the following might be educational...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_trout
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:37 pm

lunateak wrote:
Pedro wrote:all the cheena pics are golden trout[simply because they are named after a particular river doesn't make them a difernt species of trout] and primarily stream fish or lakes over 6000 feet and require even lower temps than brook. i am a trout fisherman and catching a golden was on my bucket list. until today i never googled it. we trout guys talk amongst ourselves. i don't need a close up to know those are rainbow in the hatchery. i've seen them enough in my lifetime including in hatcheries to know. when i went to gemany in '73,i wanted to catch a german brown but rainbow were stocked everywhere. it's the most stocked trout world wide because it makes a good hatchery fish.
i know my trout species and i am a hoser not a gringo. as well as being experienced, i consulted the dept. of swamps and bushes  biologists for info when necessary. like when i discovered a dwarf brook in a stream near nordegg alberta but that's another fish story.

Jeez, Pedro, isn't there something that you can post about that you actually know what you're talking about?
I grew up trout fishing in northern California, spin and fly, and the following might be educational...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_trout
good for you and i fished for trout from quebec to bc. never got into golden waters but they were on my bucket list. like you ,i googled the info on golden. look at cheenas pics again and tell me they ain't all golden. i'll put my experience up against yers any day.yeah-spin and fly and i never spared expense on my equipment which is and has been ultra light because i ain't a meat hunter. i even fly fished fer jimw's beloved bass but small mouth. i considered large mouth not worthy[i did catch a 6 pounder once at the mouth of the credit river where i was fishing fer salmon] but since that seems to be the only bass around here i might break down and go for it. it might be fun on my ultra light gear ta hook a 5 pounder with 6 pond test and the drag set fer 4 pound. i have fished for over 60 years. i have only recently switched to 6 test from 4 which is what i used for about 35 years. anything else oh expert?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

They okay, I'll tell you they ain't all golden.  Very Happy
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:54 pm

sorry-they are. all the same features but slightly difernt colouration from being in difernt waters. all the fish pictured are juvenile as well,and i would venture to say when they reach adulthood they probly would even more closely resemble each other.
ocean run brooks are mainly silver[but with typical markings] until they run upstream to spawn as we found out fishing the james bay watershed who's rivers run into hudson's bay.
until then i had never seen a silver and didn't even know they existed.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next