INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Verizon and Visa Card

+11
jrm30655
slainte39
David
Zedinmexico
CheenaGringo
gringal
Lady Otter Latté
Traveller
Lakeside Bound
Pedro
Bajavet
15 posters

Go down

Verizon and Visa Card Empty Verizon and Visa Card

Post by Bajavet Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm

We are visiting the area for the first time next week. Just a couple of quick questions, does anyone know if there is cell phone coverage for Verizon wireless in the Chapala/Ajijic area? Also, would a Visa credit card be widely accepted, especially at restaurants and stores?

Thanks.
Bajavet
Bajavet

Back to top Go down

Verizon and Visa Card Empty Re: Verizon and Visa Card

Post by Pedro Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 pm

very few places will take your credit card and i would not use it here in any event. this is CASH country. there are atms for that. your verizon cell phone will cost you a small fortune if it even works. actually i don't know much about your cell but when we came from canada my rogers cell could have made us broke with 1 phone call.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeside Bound Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm

I just came back from Ajijic and my phone is Verizon. Calls are .99 cents a minute, a text is .50 cents and to receive a text is .05 cents.
I didn't think that was too bad, but I don't use my phone very much.

Lakeside Bound

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Use your credit or debit card to withdraw pesos from one of the many available ATMs, and do your purchasing with pesos in cash.
Have a great visit, by the way! Very Happy
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Don´t forget to let your bank know before you leave that you are going to Mexico and dates when you will be using your card here.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Don´t forget to let your bank know before you leave that you are going to Mexico and dates when you will be using your card here.

Ditto on that one! As a matter of fact, I had a credit card purchase refused when I was in a different town in Mexico from the one where I lived.........so keep your bank posted.

Cash is always welcome in Mexico. Credit cards not so much.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajavet Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for the help. We usually try to use our credit card when travelling abroad to get the best exchange rate, but it doesn't sound like that will be the best option. We will adjust.
Unfortunately, I am still a working slug and a business owner so I will have to use my cell phone some during our visit. Can anyone comment on Verizon reception around Ajijic?
Bajavet
Bajavet

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Verizon Mexico pricing:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan/nationwide-plus-mexico

Snip of their Guadalajara/Chapala/Ajijic coverage:
[img]Verizon and Visa Card Verizo10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Bajavet wrote:Thanks for the help. We usually try to use our credit card when travelling abroad to get the best exchange rate, but it doesn't sound like that will be the best option. We will adjust.
Unfortunately, I am still a working slug and a business owner so I will have to use my cell phone some during our visit. Can anyone comment on Verizon reception around Ajijic?

Works fine in Lakeside.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Bajavet wrote:Thanks for the help. We usually try to use our credit card when travelling abroad to get the best exchange rate, but it doesn't sound like that will be the best option. We will adjust.

Use your credit/debit card in the ATM for cash AND to get the best exchange rate. Your CC will work fine in Guadalajara. Out here in the boonies it's pretty much cash only.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

If you use your credit card for cash advances, throw some money into your account before you leave as some credit cards start charging interest from day one on the unpaid balances of cash advances.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Better still, get a debit card on your bank account, tell the bank you want $600 a day and tell them you are going to MX.

That way, all you pay is ATM fees, and they won't panic and cut off your card.

In Guad , you are in 2013. Here on the lake, we are in 1960. Some kind of time warp

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Some Banks/ Credit card companies do not charge for ATM withdrawalls. Bank of America is one. As a Canuck I use Scotia Bank. They have an ATM near the Wallmart. When I withdraw there there are no charges. Phone service - easy. You can go to Wall Mart, buy a cheap phone/plan/get a phone number then have all of your NOB crap forewarded to your new Mx #. As I recall, my wife's calls to me in mexico were billed to the home phone. No deductions on the Mx side
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicer Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Before you leave the states, call or visit a Verizon Wireless store. There is a Mexico Plan where you get 1000 minutes a month within Mexico, US, Canada or any combination for about $15 additional. It is an add on to a share everything plan and not available with cheaper plans. But it works great once you figure out how to make calls. If you use your phone for work, a must have I would think.

ajijicer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 am

Bajavet wrote:We are visiting the area for the first time next week. Just a couple of quick questions, does anyone know if there is cell phone coverage for Verizon wireless in the Chapala/Ajijic area? Also, would a Visa credit card be widely accepted, especially at restaurants and stores?

Thanks.

Verizon used to be all CDMA as was iUsacel here, thus they both used the CDMA towers here, of which there used to be plenty. Verizon still roams on iUsacel's system, but iUsacel is now going all GSM/Time Division Multiple Access, and using more of the available GSM-based towers. If your phone is CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access - i.e. no chip), iUsacel has had a reputaion for just deactivating CDMA towers and leaving the customer with a CDMA phone with lack of coverage in various areas. However, if you have a chip, you will not have a problem.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicer Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 am

I have no idea whether my IPhone 5 has a chip, I just know it works. However, sometimes it seems calls go right into voicemail without ringing through but I assumed I wasn't being diigent enough. Curious where are the various areas that lack coverage?

ajijicer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajavet Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I have my atm card, called the bank and credit card company, my cell phone is both cdma and gsm and have global roaming. Thanks for the advice. Headed to Lakeside this weekend.
Bajavet
Bajavet

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Bienvinidos y buena suerte!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 pm

ajijicer wrote:I have no idea whether my IPhone 5 has a chip, I just know it works. However, sometimes it seems calls go right into voicemail without ringing through but I assumed I wasn't being diigent enough. Curious where are the various areas that lack coverage?

The ones I know are south of the lake by 2 hours. They turned off several 1000 km2. Not sure all the other places because I will never use them (iUsacel) again for anything, so do not currenly know where else they killed CDMA coverage. I was so far out that I had to use CDMA towers (with CDMA you can use a 3-watt amplifier and a Yagi antenna to communicate to a tower more than 200km away; with GSM, the time slots limit your distance to 40km before the time for the RF signal to reach the tower exceeds the time of the time slot, regardless of power).
The worst part was their customer service that would not refund $1000mxn in pre-paid wireless internet, $500 in prepaid cell service, much less the $3500mxn in new iUsacel equiptment that went usless when they turned off the CDMA towers.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 pm

sunday,my moto buddies and i will be on the malecon in chapala parked on the sidewalk just south of the church
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Minervajt Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 am

I have used Verizon service in Mexico for ten years now - first on a North American Plan and then the Nationwide Plus Mexico. For for the most part, the coverage has been fine. My only complaint is that calls are dropped once in awhile and incoming calls can be cut off after just a couple of rings. But it's been so convenient!

Minervajt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down