INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE

+10
MyHomeSweetHome
ferret
Go Solar
CanuckBob
zenwoodle
MexicoPete
David
Flamingo
Jim W
RoofBob
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE Empty Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE

Post by RoofBob Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Need contact information for any and all solar energy providers lakeside.

Thanks!
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE Empty Re: Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE

Post by Jim W Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm

RoofBob wrote:Need contact information for any and all solar energy providers lakeside.

Thanks!

There are 2 advertising in EL OJO DEL LAGO.

ESUN 766-2319
DESMEX SOLAR CHAPALA 766-2889
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE Empty Re: Solar energy providers ... Adios CFE

Post by Flamingo Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Do be sure to get battery backup. Otherwise you are still at the mercy of CFE - and their on again, off again service.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Batteries will more than double the cost of the system. Getting a PV solar system isn't about getting off the grid, it's about getting off their obscenely expensive rates and zeroing your bill. I've had mine for over two years. Used to have $3500 Peso CFE bill. Now, <$100.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

David, Apparently unlike NOB, excess power going back to grid is lost by you? NOB, I get a monthly credit.

Flamingo, A generator is a far cheaper solution........batteries, are spendy, and must be replaced.

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Credit for excess KW is NOT lost, it's carried forward on your bill. It gets consumed during cloudy days.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:20 pm

I've had a photo-voltaic system lakeside since early 2008. Like David said, it doesn't make economic sense for a battery backup system unless you anticipate a lot of power outages. That said, I do have a small battery backup system connected in conjunction with one of my two inverters. This system has enough capacity to run the refrigerator, security systems and a few lights sprinkled throughout the house. It also powers my computer, and a smaller energy efficient TV and satellite TV system in the master bedroom. Because the system is small it did not cost that much (8 deep cell golf cart batteries)

What's the payback time? These days they advertise 5 to 6 years for a properly matched system without battery backup; slightly longer when you have a battery backup system.

I paid more for mine in 2008 than you would today. It seems that I computed my payback period to be closer to 8 to 12 years. (I don't remember). However, had I not sold my Msft and Csco stock when I did, the stock market crash would have lowered the market value of my stock by more than 50%.

If you own your home and figure you're going to be around for a few more years, and if you are using enough electricity to be charged at the high residential tariff rate (DAC), why not take your latest electric bill to one of the solar system providers mentioned above. Just maybe you might like what they can do for you.

MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:25 pm

OK how many panels did you install David, and what was the cost, ROI? And you to Pete?

Curious cuz I installed a 36 panel system in Arizona for $13,000 and generate 18,500 to 20,000 kw annually.

Last edited by Jim W on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Bought a 6 panel system from ESun in December, and pay less than 100 pesos every 2 months so far.
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm

I too used eSunEnergy for my system and have been very happy with the results. How big is my system? About 5,000 watts. Or about the same as twenty 250 watt panels.

Why so many panels? One reason is that I live way up in the foothills and have to pump the water up from one street below. Another is that darn pool pump motor. And the final reason? I keep too many lights on :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

RoofBob wrote:Need contact information for any and all solar energy providers lakeside.

Thanks!

RB, since you have multiple casitas I would recommend going with multiple meters versus solar. 2 additional meters will cost you about $1500 to install and the payback will be within the first year assuming you keep all 3 under the DAC. That is what was recommended to me by a popular local inspection guy and my maestro.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 pm

RoofBob,

Feel free to PM me. We're lakeside's "word of mouth" solar provider with 8 years and countless satisfied clients, & our direct business model saves you $$ on 1st class products and installs on solar electric, solar hot water, and pool heating systems.

As for batteries.....the default reco is "no" unless you insist. Let CFE be your "battery". Understand completely about wanting to cover the outages from time to time....there are many other ways to do it more cost effectively.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Punography

http://www.solartechnology.com.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Go Solar, I sent you a PM regarding a pool heating system.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Number of panels tells you nothing unless you know the panel's output. My system is 2KW. Cost 2 years ago $11,000 US, today $7,000 US. If you can stay under DAC you don't need solar. However, if you're in DAC you'll find solar to be your highest return investment. Mine has paid over 15% per annum since installation.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Fastest / best ROI %-wise is actually from solar hot water systems, (typically 18 to 24 months) though solar electric is catching up fast and of course gives the most actual $$ return.

Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Go Solar is a good guy and knows his stuff and is correct when he posts, "As for batteries.....the default reco is "no" unless you insist"

And I say again, he is right. It's just that I really enjoy the added benefits I get having this impractical battery backup system. Oh and don't forget, that if you do not maintain these batteries you will be replacing them quite often. It's been more than 5 years since they were they were first installed and I'm thinking it won't be too long until I have to replace the damn things. javascript:emoticonp('Evil or Very Mad')
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I have a question about Solar Hot Water. When we asked that the solar heating system here (we're renting) be serviced, the guy who came to check it informed us that it had three broken tubes (avocado bombs) and was actually "turned off". I said, "what do mean "turned off""??? I was told that it was an either/or system.
That last sentence is what I don't understand. I would have thought that the solar system would be "on" all the time and feeding the gas water tank with the pilot still going. If it was an overcast day and the water was not hot enough, then the pilot would kick in and heat the water to the correct temperature. That seems logical to me.
Can somebody explain this to me in a better manner? I'm not going crabbing up to the roof to switch from one system to another on ANY day...

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 pm

We lived off-grid with solar in the Colorado high country. The batteries (if properly cared for) generally lasted 8-10 years. I recently attended a talk by Bob Harwood on local solar projects and they strongly recommend as least some battery backup. He admitted being confused about why local firms are so against them. As unreliable as our CFE has been, I can't imagine not doing it.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 pm

I can't imagine justifying the need for batteries. In the 8 years we've been here we've not seen a power outage of more than 4 hours, and that's been very seldom. Why would anyone recommend batteries? Folks without PV solar don't have them! It makes no sense to me to spend those $, which is why I didn't. Batteries are expensive and for what, a few hours of convenience?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm

In the last year we have only experienced 2 power outages. I agree that a small generator to run the refrigerator and a few lights in the event of an outage would be far more economical that buying and maintaining a bank of back-up batteries.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Ferret:

Much depends on the type of tube technology you have. With the "wet tubes", they form part of the water bath along with the tank volume and provide a larger system capacity as a result & benefit. So you can't operate with a broken tube. Balancing that off is the fact that they are fairly low cost to replace. The "dry" tubes (heat pipe) operate independent of the tank water, though are much more costly to replace if broken.

As far as the valving is concerned, it does not need to be at the roof level; you can have it at ground level if you prefer, or you can have valving in both locations. Personal preference. And yes, having solar with a tankless backup and a thermostatic valve is ideal for seamless operation and having continuous hot water with the minimum of gas use.

Hope that helps a bit.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:19 pm

It does help. Thank you for your response. The tubes were only going to cost 300 pesos (x 3) to replace. After a discussion with the owners, and recognizing that the avocado tree which bombs the water heater every year was not going away, they decided to take the heater, repair it and install it in a home they have built on the other side of the lake. They have no hot water at all over there. They certainly weren't going to modify what they had installed here.
Solar and a tankless water heater...got it. So, is it not at all possible to have the solar heater continuously feed water to a normal hot water tank with a pilot light? The gas used by the pilot light is not a lot.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 pm

With a tank style water heater, it is possible to have it in line, yes. However unless it is super insulated, the pilot light won't keep it warm enough, and as a result you'll "dilute" the hot solar water with the cool tank water. Of course, you can raise the thermostat setting.....which uses more gas.

My default reco on tank water heaters is to turn 'em off and bypass them; if the solar system is sized appropriately it will meet the needs on its own 90 to 95% of the time. When needed, you can light the pilot and bring the tank back into play.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Ferret, one more time:

BTW, it would be fairly simple to place a wire cage over the tubes to protect them, without losing any heating capacity.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:55 pm

We bought from ESUN, 766-2319, next door to Walmart in SAT. Our bill as of today was 156 pesos for 2 months running the economical pool pump and all the fans in the house day and night. We have a back up generator from Costco or Sam's Club, never can tell when our power will go out for no reason hehe

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next