INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooked turkey

+16
smint
borderreiver
DaveP
CHILLIN
David
twelveoaks
SunshineyDay
Lady Otter Latté
sparks
Marrell
JayBear
Flamingo
CanuckBob
slainte39
CheenaGringo
Splashingcolor
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cooked turkey - Page 2 Empty Re: Cooked turkey

Post by twelveoaks Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:17 am

Splashingcolor wrote:Was talking to someone this last week and they mentioned there are local places that will cook your turkey for you.  Anyone know who these people are?  Thank you in advance.
sent you a PM

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by twelveoaks Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 am

sent you a PM

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:11 am

JayBear wrote:I should have mentioned, for those who are new here, that the chicken store in Riberas is a good source of turkeys--you specify what size you want and pick the turkey up prior to Thanksgiving.
The name is Puritan Poultry.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:30 am

David wrote:
The name is Puritan Poultry.[/quote]
And they are right next door to Bubba's, who specialties include brisket, ribs and pulled pork. They have the oven room, and could even throw some smoke if you wanted that. The new owner is anxious to prove himself and his team to Lakeside. Plus you get to meet one of the few Icelanders in the world who can speak Spanish (probably)Very Happy 
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:43 am

CHILLIN wrote: The name is Puritan Poultry.
by David

And they are right next door to Bubba's, who specialties include brisket, ribs and pulled pork. They have the oven room, and could even throw some smoke if you wanted that. The new owner is anxious to prove himself and his team to Lakeside. Plus you get to meet one of the few Icelanders in the world who can speak Spanish (probably)Very Happy [/quote]by Chillin

The Icelander? Is he up to serving hakarl?...That will prove himself to lakesiders (or get him run out of town).lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Just a FYI: cooking turkey on a BBQ (either charcoal or gas) can be one of the easiest and most satisfying ways to prepare a big bird. Sure you have to forgo internally cooked stuffing but the taste and moistness of the meat makes one forget bird cooked stuffing. We actually have turkey more often during the BBQ season and tend to forget about them for the traditional holidays.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Oh, good idea, I'll try the bbq!  Thanks CheenaGringo!
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Here is our long time family recipe:
1) Coat turkey inside and out with a coating of real mayonnaise - do not use Miracle Whip or one of the other spreads! Do Not Use an Infused or Injected Turkey!
2) Sprinkle seasoning salt, pepper, garlic and any other spice you prefer on the mayo coating.
3) Set up grill for indirect cooking with a drip pan below the bird. We do ours either on a Weber with charcoal banked up against the sides or on a rotisserie with the gas BBQ. I watch the thermometer on the grill and attempt to stay between 350 and 400 degrees and plan about an hour for every 4 pounds.

The mayo gives you a golden brown skin and seals in the juices. I usually tent the bird with heavy duty foil for 20 to 30 minutes before I carve.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:53 pm

OR, to return to your OP, you can talk to Marco at El Rey behind Soriana´s in Chapala. He used to be the chef at the country club and has roasted many a turkey. A friend said he will cook a turkey for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with that turkey!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks, Lady Otter.  I was almost lead astray.  Thank you all for your input.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:42 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:OR, to return to your OP, you can talk to Marco at El Rey behind Soriana´s in Chapala. He used to be the chef at the country club and has roasted many a turkey. A friend said he will cook a turkey for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with that turkey!
Marco supplied the ribs for the Chili Cook Off this year. 500 kilos or  1/4 of a ton. They were fabulous and got rave reviews.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am

He is amazing.
A couple of weeks ago he did a whole pig cooked in a pit. It was the best pork I have ever eaten (tender, moist and deliciously flavored with herbs and spices). All the side dishes were outstanding too. Oh, and two-for-one Margaritas. The man knows how to put on a party.

Splashingcolor, you are welcome. I am glad I was able to help!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:22 am

Just curious. Are the turkeys available Lakeside local ? I'd just like to be able to buy a real fresh turkey - naturally raised - no hormones, etc., blah, blah, blah. I went the "organic, free range" turkey route a couple of years ago at the insistence of my loving wife (who won't eat them - she just wants the stuffing). Disaster. They're definitely tasty but basically stewing fowl. Re that Marco guy - if you could get him to smoke an entire bird you're in for a serious treat. Re stuffing - oyster stuffing - Yum
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 am

I don't know of any "local" (Guadalajara and environs) turkey growers. There could be a small operation.
Most Mexican turkeys sold around here are from the State of Chihuahua.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by smint Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 am

borderreiver wrote:Just curious. Are the turkeys available Lakeside local ? I'd just like to be able to buy a real fresh turkey - naturally raised - no hormones, etc., blah, blah, blah. I went the "organic, free range"  turkey route a couple of years ago at the insistence of my loving wife (who won't eat them - she just wants  the stuffing). Disaster. They're definitely tasty but basically stewing fowl. Re that Marco guy - if you could get him to smoke an entire bird you're in for a serious treat. Re stuffing - oyster stuffing - Yum
Commercially raised poultry contain no steroids.

smint

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 am

Doesn't anybody 'brine' their turkeys here? That's the latest thing in the North for the past couple of years.
As far as fresh local turkeys, they are available from backyard farmers who raise some for extra cash. There was an entertaining blog from a couple years ago from someone who bought a live local bird, and then had to transport it in their VW convertible to get it butchered. I remember it was expensive, at about $35 US, and they said it was the toughest bird they had ever experienced. This is probably why the traditional turkey in Mexico, Mole, is slow cooked for many hours in a rich, spicy sauce.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 am

Inject it, spice the cavity and fire it into the deep fryer. Best turkey ever, however you have to do the stuffing on the stove.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 am

I would be very hesitant to have a turkey smoked with stuffing in the bird. Not only have their been all sorts of warnings against this practice but good smoking technique utilizes cooking at a lower temp for a longer period. Stuffing in the cavity would inhibit smoke reaching the inside of the bird and I doubt stuffing made with oysters would reach adequate cooking temperatures.

Sign seen just yesterday on the outside wall of Whole Foods in Santa Fe, NM: RESPONSIBLY RAISED TURKEYS
????????

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am

I brine my birds. Including smaller chickens. It just makes an amazing difference. As you suggest, Chillin, never even heard of it, really, until the Food Network got popular.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:54 am

"Sign seen just yesterday on the outside wall of Whole Foods in Santa Fe, NM: RESPONSIBLY RAISED TURKEYS
????????"

LOL! That is Whole Foodese, a language where words are used that actually mean nothing but make clueless people feel good about themselves when spending boat loads of money on food they could get for one/third the price at a supermarket down the street.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am

Lady Otter Latte:

Please take note that I saw it driving by which I always do as Whole Foods in on my "no shopping list" along with WallyWorld, Best Buy and a number of other retailers.

While the Food Network may have brought "brining" to more peoples attention, it has been around for years not only in North America but also in many other food cultures in many different forms. In the late 40's, our cook in China brined live ducks by feeding them liquor and hanging by their feet overnight before starting to prepare.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 am

Cheena, I never considered you would be a Whole Foods shopper! Very Happy

Oh, poor ducks. I don´t even like thinking about that practice.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am

Sounds more like "pickled" than brined! Very Happy 
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:59 am

CheenaGringo wrote:I would be very hesitant to have a turkey smoked with stuffing in the bird.  Not only have their been all sorts of warnings against this practice but good smoking technique utilizes cooking at a lower temp for a longer period.  Stuffing in the cavity would inhibit smoke reaching the inside of the bird and I doubt stuffing made with oysters would reach adequate cooking temperatures.

Sign seen just yesterday on the outside wall of Whole Foods in Santa Fe, NM: RESPONSIBLY RAISED TURKEYS
????????
when i had a smoker,i would do a wet smoke of the turkey which i stuffed with orange slices and juice. time was about 4-5hrs. and i used small turkeys in the 8-10lb range because anything larger wouldn't fit. wood i used was apple
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:04 am

The practice was banned in our house after three drunk ducks broke loose in the middle of the night and totally trashed the kitchen.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 am

A duck amuck.lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down