INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutter Ants wont take bait, now what?

+8
elehne1
sparks
Gamina
Grizzy
JayBear
Pedro
slainte39
sm1mex
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cutter Ants wont take bait, now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cutter Ants wont take bait, now what?

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Google them....fascinating to say the least

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cutter Ants wont take bait, now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cutter Ants wont take bait, now what?

Post by hockables Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 pm

50lbs High Nitrogen Fertilizer... 20 gal Diesel Fuel... and a long fuse

pack mixture over Ant Nest

For Ants 30ft down.... try 100lbs fertilizer and 40gal diesel

Beer   No Problem
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 pm

sm1mex wrote:Oh my gosh.  50 kilos is 110 pounds.  I would never be able to lift the bag that heavy.  200 pesos is a pretty good deal for 110 pounds.  Now it is raining so all of my work today is getting soaking wet.  Can't win.  Will try again tomorrow.

Yep...very heavy bag...we put half in a separate bag and split the cost, too.

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 pm

hockables wrote:50lbs High Nitrogen Fertilizer... 20 gal Diesel Fuel... and a long fuse

pack mixture over Ant Nest  

For Ants 30ft down.... try 100lbs fertilizer and 40gal diesel

Beer   No Problem

Hocks, ya always crack me up! Miss you and Connie, can't wait to get back for golf n BROWNIES.....LMAO

JimW
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Diatomaceous earth does an amazing job but do not expect it to work overnight. There is an organic gardening store in Jocotepec that carries diatomaceous earth plain and w/ added fertilizer. There has been extended discussion of diatomaceous earth applications on this board within the past six months or so. The precise location of the Joco store has also been set forth on this board within the same time frame.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:33 am

The cutter ants seem to be attracted to fragrant plants and succulent greens. I think the only answer is to grow these plants in raised beds, using those inexpensive cement bricks. On the top row get some white PVC pipe, about 4 inches, cut in half length wise with a power saw, including the 90 degree joints. Cement in place. The idea is to create a water filled moat that insects, including slugs, cannot cross. In mosquito season, put soap, bleach or that mosquito virus in the water. When building your raised beds, buy some small diameter white pvc pipe that you can bend over to hold the lightest gauge shade cloth - this stops the flying insects and birds. Add a good topsoil and mulch - you will have a virtually maintenance free garden - unless you get squirrels, that's left to solve.

I guess you could build moats into a non-raised bed garden too.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 am

Also read about a chicken moat - a double sided chain link fence used as a chicken run around the garden. Lose the bugs, gain some chickens!

Many people use 'ant moats' on their hummingbird feeders.

We have large bamboo growing wild, could split the bamboo into moats, it would look better but it would be hard to miter the corners tightly.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2