INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Tea

+7
Pedro
borderreiver
Axixic
slainte39
arbon
lunateak
Kiri
11 posters

Go down

Black Tea Empty Black Tea

Post by Kiri Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 am

I use to be able to find

Black Tea 31QX4FN8RXL

at SuperLake, but no longer, pity!

Anyone have a source locally that has a passable black tea at a reasonable cost, i.e. Red Rose, Tetly, etc...?

Thanks in advance....
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Black Tea Empty Re: Black Tea

Post by lunateak Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 am

There is an India black tea at Superlake. I'm sorry I don't remember the name but it was in a paper wrapper that was a pale purple/mauve color.
Or there is Lipton loose leaf....
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:22 am

Only in Canada you say?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:56 am

Kiri wrote:I use to be able to find

Black Tea 31QX4FN8RXL

at SuperLake, but no longer, pity!

Anyone have a source locally that has a passable black tea at a reasonable cost, i.e. Red Rose, Tetly, etc...?

Thanks in advance....

Sorry to say, for me...NO!
I have Barry's Gold from County Cork, Ireland shipped in by...you guessed it...IShop.     Very Happy 
Is Lipton's considered tea??     Shocked

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 pm

If it's in a tea bag , no. If it's loose leaf then sorta maybe. Keep in mind that one man's trash is another man's treasure....
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:58 pm

I noticed there was Red Rose Black Tea in the Casa Gourmet place (across from Walmart - next to the iShop place) but did not take note of the price.

I'm not a tea drinker but it stuck in my mind because of the whole "Only in Canada? Pity!" thing.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 pm

I make a point of bringing 2 items on my trips here. Zip Lock bags and "black tea" bags. They take up little room and weigh zilch.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:00 pm

ziplock bags are available all over the place here.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Yes Zip Locks are available all over the place here and with the difference in price I get to buy a nice lunch here for free.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Black Tea - when is the reality going to sink in that the British Empire no longer exists? Granted I may be considered a "coffee snob" but even after living in India for 6 years, I never understood the fascination with tea. Maybe it can be aligned with the acquired taste of scotch, I really have no idea?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Black Tea - when is the reality going to sink in that the British Empire no longer exists?  Granted I may be considered a "coffee snob" but even after living in India for 6 years, I never understood the fascination with tea.  Maybe it can be aligned with the acquired taste of scotch, I really have no idea?

“If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you.”
― William Ewart Gladstone
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:27 am

In the same way, Cheena, there are people who do not get the fascination with coffee. I know people who never drink it and can not understand why anyone would--much less why anyone cares what brand or type coffee it is. To them it is just hot, brown water.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:09 am

Lady O: Very true but I was referring more to the ceremony that seems to have developed during the British Empire days - you know, High Tea and all. At least coffee was immune from such until the Starbucks generation!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 am

Ah, yes, Cheena. I see what you mean. I have my morning ritual of making a latté beginning with grinding coffee beans and if I miss it for some reason, it throws my whole morning off so I kind of understand. Though, of course, making a latté is by no means as complicated as High Tea.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:09 pm

You mean.... the Irish drinking tea is a holdover from British imperialism???
BOLLIX!!!!     Shocked

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:21 pm

"Before it became Britain's number one drink, China tea was introduced in the coffeehouses of London shortly before the Stuart Restoration (1660); about that time Thomas Garraway, a coffeehouse owner in London, had to explain the new beverage in pamphlet and an advertisement in Mercurius Politicus for 30 September 1658 offered "That Excellent, and by all Physicians approved, China drink, called by the Chinese, Tcha, by other nations Tay alias Tee, ...sold at the Sultaness-head, ye Cophee-house in Sweetings-Rents, by the Royal Exchange, London". [2] In London "Coffee, chocolate and a kind of drink called tee" were "sold in almost every street in 1659", according to Thomas Rugge's Diurnall.[3] Tea was mainly consumed by the fashionably rich: Samuel Pepys, curious for every novelty, tasted the new drink in 1660: [25 September] "I did send for a cup of tee, (a China drink) of which I had never had drunk before". Two pounds, two ounces were formally presented to Charles II by the British East India Company that same year.[4] The tea had been imported to Portugal from its possessions in Asia as well as through the trade merchants maintained with China and Japan. In 1662 Charles II's Portuguese queen, Catherine of Braganza, introduced the act of drinking tea, which quickly spread throughout court and country and to the English bourgeoisie. The British East India company, which had been supplied with tea at the Dutch factory of Batavia imported it directly from China from 1669.[5] In 1672, a servant of Baron Herbert in London sent his instructions for tea making, and warming the delicate cups, to Shropshire;

"The directions for the tea are: a quart of spring water just boiled, to which put a spoonful of tea, and sweeten to the palate with candy sugar. As soon as the tea and sugar are in, the steam must be kept in as much as may be, and let it lie half or quarter of an hour in the heat of the fire but not boil. The little cups must be held over the steam before the liquid be put in."[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_in_the_United_Kingdom

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Why don't you grow your own - it should thrive in the Chapala climate. This is an excellent company, they have tea plant seeds - Z2600. http://www.seedman.com/limited.htm

They also have coffee (I think Kona too), black pepper - heck - they have everything! Ship to iShop Laredo, then they clear the permit (80 pesos) and then to Chapala. I have some Yerba Mate seeds - but they are a true challenge.

Z2600 Tea Plant Camellia sinensis This is the tea produced commercially around the world. The tender, young leaves are used in the process of tea production. Can be grown in tubs inside, or in cool greenhouses, outdoors in warm climates. Prefers moist, well drained, humus rich, slightly acidic ( 5.5-6.5 )soil. We recommend maintaining a 2-3 inch deep mulch of shredded bark or leaves around base of plant. Hardy to zone 7. To make green tea, pick only the top 3 leaves from new growing tips, spread and dry in the shade for 6-8 hours, then in an open pot, heat ( simmer ) the leaves, stirring frequently for about an hour. For black tea, you must ferment the leaves. wrote:

This how they do it in Hawaii
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-26.pdf
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:30 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Ah, yes, Cheena. I see what you mean. I have my morning ritual of making a latté beginning with grinding coffee beans and if I miss it for some reason, it throws my whole morning off so I kind of understand. Though, of course, making a latté is by no means as complicated as High Tea.

Even more complicated and involved:

Japanese Tea Ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOZe_FSl2o
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:05 am

Don't know if they still carry it, but we have purchased PG Tips at Super Lake. It's a very good English black tea.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25 am

Kiri:

A quick study of Japanese or Chinese tea ceremonies would reveal more of a religious type ceremony versus the more social aspects of British High Tea.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down