INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala

+18
bettypearl
CanuckBob
addtocart
itsme
Sideways
CheenaGringo
Grizzy
mielicita
Smartalex
Intercasa
viajero
Lady Otter Latté
Pedro
Lake Chapala Crime
Ms.Thang
MexicoPete
Seventyseven
elbelgicano
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala Empty Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 3:57 pm

More or less 2 weeks ago (April 20th), a lot of people witnessed the arrival of several police cars and ambulance, in front of a house, next door from Actinver (across from the plaza). Since then, we heard all kinds of rumours but now it has been confirmed by the press.... robbery (or intent) gone wrong, expat just passed away. Here is a link (from Sol de Mexico) :
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldemexico/notas/n3377789.htm

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all kinds

http://chocochef.blogspot.mx

Back to top Go down

Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala Empty Re: Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala

Post by Seventyseven Fri May 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Rony, can you translate that?

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala Empty Re: Robbery gone wrong, expat died in Chapala

Post by MexicoPete Fri May 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Just use Google Translate, 77.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Fri May 02, 2014 4:15 pm

It is not on the crime site, is this a secret crime? Pete, Too much work.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri May 02, 2014 4:18 pm

90 year old (presumed) foreigner named Raymond Margolis Levi was found beaten in his home on Madero ( the main st. In Chapala. Before he died he told authorities that he was assaulted. They are looking for his family.

This is exactly one of the crimes I was talking about, we saw the police , the crowd and all but only heard rumors and nothing was printed about it.
So, wow...that is really awful.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Fri May 02, 2014 4:21 pm

What time? Middle of night? Day time? Sounds like a Floresta repeat. I just read yesterday how safe Chapala is. You wont find me walking around after dark! No sir. Robbery is just not enough, they add those finishing touches.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lake Chapala Crime Fri May 02, 2014 4:31 pm

He may be canadian - found a post about chapala and canadian fishing on another webboard NOB

Lake Chapala Crime

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri May 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Seventyseven wrote:Rony, can you translate that?
nothing happens to you bubble lady so myob.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri May 02, 2014 4:36 pm

We were walking home after having a meal when we saw this commotion going on so it was in the afternoon when they found him. I don't know when it happened though, he could have been there a while...in his home, not walking around.

I feel safe enough in Chapala but I don't go strolling around at night. We used to do that a long time ago but not now. Chapala rolls up the carpets at 10:00.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

(forgive my English... kind of a free translation too)
Due to a head wound, a foreigner who was found wounded in Chapala, more than a week ago, died.
This happened on April 20th, when medical services found severely beaten up, 90-year old Raymond Margolis Levi, when he was first taken to the Red Cross, but considering the bad shape he was in, they transferred Ray (as we knew him) to a Guadalajara hospital.
He stayed for several days in that particular hospital. but after he passed away (yesterday), his remains were taken to something like coroner's inquest, where, in the next few hours,  they expect (hope for) a relative to present him/herself.
The victim, who they believe to be a foreigner, was living on Madero (center of Chapala).
Before passing away, Ray was able to say that the criminals fled, after they tried to rob him, but he had been unable to provide any significant description of them.
The case is under investigation by local authorities, aiming to find the perpetrators.

End of article.

I noticed all the police and ambulance there, around 7 pm. Never bothered posting anything about it, because not enough facts were known and the rumours were pretty wild (even worse than what apparently happened) and contradictory.

elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Pedro, So true. That lovely street Madero never was a wonderful as you say it can be. Why dont you prove me wrong, big shot. Chapala IS and always was a hotbed of crime. Have fun.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Ray was an American, from New York, living together (in that house) with a 98-year old Mexican lady. No news on the Mexican lady yet.

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 4:40 pm

My guess is that he had lived here for about 20 years. I first met him in 2004.
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Fri May 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Rony, They can't even look for the criminals without the description. Douteful they will even take fingerprints. This will not get the press that Floresta got, the family called the papers. Plus being in an upscale area made the story more press worthy. More proof that crime does not happen here.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 4:53 pm

It did not say without description, but no major description (sin que lograra percatarse de mayores características).
Quite the opposite, this could actually be pretty press worthy, as this couple (if I can call them like that) is very well known here in Chapala (for reasons I prefer not to put out here) + don't forget that this appears to have happened during the day, right in the center of Chapala. Again, I am afraid that it is quite the opposite, .... too press worthy, especially after the the February murders. From day 1, I felt a lot of secrecy everywhere,.... even the taxidrivers right opposite the house (where it happened) told me that they knew nothing (that will be the day). I get the feeling that some people are trying very hard to keep us in the dark, and it seems to be working,..... up to a certain point.

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri May 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Thank you, Rony, for taking the time to share information with us. Thank you also for showing the respect and dignity the death of a community member deserves.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri May 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Gosh...I have had that feeling too...secrets.

Now the paper hawkers are out yelling " la violencia Sigue... Mataron los  gringos en Madero aqui en Chapalaaaaa!"  . Well, at least they are breaking the silence and those awful rumors.

I did not know this gentleman but I sure hope his family comes for him.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 5:07 pm

This is now 12 days after the sad event and only 2 written sources (the newspaper guys out in the street....  shouting the news most of the time a crime takes place) and El Sol.  But, numerous direct and indirect witnesses outside the house when lots of police, medical services and other arrived.....  And this clearly was not a non event.
And yes Lady O, on the other hand, it is sometimes better and somehow fair not to get into too much unnecessary detail (about other people's lifes), out in the open.

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri May 02, 2014 5:11 pm

We do not need the details of people´s loves. We do need to know what happened to him and if there is anything we, as a community, can do.
Mostly, we need not to use the violent, tragic death of a community member to push our own agendas, whatever they may be.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote: Thank you also for showing the respect and dignity the death of a community member deserves.
That wasn't my take,it sounded like he was insinuating something about the deceased,but being coy about it.
Nobody reading the thread would have thought anything bad or curious about the victim had it not been for the gratuitous little chisme he included.IMO

Last edited by viajero on Fri May 02, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 5:25 pm

deleted because of misunderstanding from my part (vocabulary)

Last edited by elbelgicano on Fri May 02, 2014 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted because of misunderstanding from my part (vocabulary))
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Fri May 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Rony, It will be publicized here no doute. Dont forget, the family (or friends neighbors) called the Canadian newspapers so it had a big write up. It was also picked up by some other news outlets in the U.S.A. Being "nice" upper middle class people, living in a "paradise area" (Floresta), it caught attention with the Canada press fast. I don't think anyone will call the New York Post. But I am calling my Mexican friend in Chapala, she knows all the cab drivers. Also her cousin is a lawyer there, I will get the story. Rony has not done anything wrong. Believe me if there are lurid details they will surface.

Last edited by Seventyseven on Fri May 02, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri May 02, 2014 5:29 pm

was ray the really nice fellow that made homemade candies.rony?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri May 02, 2014 5:37 pm

elbelgicano wrote:
Quite the opposite, this could actually be pretty press worthy, as this couple (if I can call them like that) is very well known here in Chapala (for reasons I prefer not to put out here)
Sorry if I misunderstood you,but that sounded like gossip to me.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Fri May 02, 2014 5:45 pm

viajero wrote:
elbelgicano wrote:
Quite the opposite, this could actually be pretty press worthy, as this couple (if I can call them like that) is very well known here in Chapala (for reasons I prefer not to put out here)
Sorry if I misunderstood you,but that sounded like gossip to me.

No, no gossip, I simply have no desire, nor do I see the purpose of telling the story of their life here (or the little that I know about).  That is it..... no mas, no menos.
I will leave that up to the newspapers, if ever...

Rony

Last edited by elbelgicano on Fri May 02, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : incomplete)
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next