INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation?

+3
CanuckBob
Gamina
MyrnaMinkoff
7 posters

Go down

Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation? Empty Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation?

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Hello Everyone!

We're looking for a pulse on the impact of the Guerrero missing students situation. Our plans to move to Lakeside have not been without consideration for the safety of gringos living at Lakeside, but we've been reminded often by friends living at Lakeside, that the statistics for crime in US cities are often more disturbing.

Still, we must do our "due diligence" and ask if gringos continue to be safe living at Lakeside. Once we make a move from our home in Oregon, it will not be a simple thing to change our minds and move back.

We know this topic can be controversial, so please reply either on the forum or by PM.
Thanks everyone for guiding us in this big decision!

Mary and Paul, and the Kitty Cats

MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation? Empty Re: Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation?

Post by Gamina Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 am

Look at a map; Guerrero is a long ways away and has not had a direct impact on Lakeside.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation? Empty Re: Any impact felt at Lakeside from Guerrero missing students situation?

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:49 am

There is violent, horrific crime all over Mexico, including this area. It is typically gang related and not targeted towards the expats however there has been a few incidents of robberies gone bad resulting in death. If you look through our crime section you can read about some of the local events.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Canuck Bob is correct and I would expand his scope to say there is violent, horrific crime all over the world, including this area. People differ in how they are affected by news of what happens to others, near and far away. I for one love being here but I have never romanticized Mexico nor viewed the Mexican people as any less complicated/multi-layered than any other people. We have lived here many years and through many phases and have zero interest in living anywhere else. Others have moved here and quickly moved on or back home at the first sign of what they perceive as "danger." The key may be to know yourself and how you react to what you see going on in your community and elsewhere in the world.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Very well expressed! I appreciate hearing these thoughts everyone!!!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by MexiNan Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 am

There was a student demonstration recently in Guadalajara that devolved into a riot and looting. That's close. However, as long as you bring with you the same cautions you would use anywhere, you should fare well. I usually explain it to folks at home like this: you'd be affected here by the Guerrero situation about like you'd be affected in Oregon by riots in L.A.

MexiNan

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi There!
That is a great way to put perspective on major things ... I appreciate that!
I am not all that surprised that students in Guadalajara had issues... that city having a major university!
I lived in LA during the Rodney King riots... quite terrifying ... but we remained safe. Lots of looting and fires near where we lived... curfew imposed... but we did get through it!
Thanks for the update!
Mary
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Oregon2LakeChapala wrote:
I am not all that surprised that students in Guadalajara had issues...   that city having a major university!  
Mary

More like 6.....U de G; UAG;  ITESO; Monterey Tech; Pan American; UNIVA; Marist;......probably a few others.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Oh wow! I did not know that! Thanks for the update!
;-)
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:25 pm

guadalajara and suburbs has a population of 6.5 million +/-. second largest city in mexico.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Pedro! Thanks for the info... I really didn't know GDL had that sizeable population!!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down