INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Such a deal

5 posters

Go down

Such a deal Empty Such a deal

Post by oncesubtle Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm

With the Presidente's war on drugs, the gangs, violence, the hype, hysteria and the 'OMG what next' mentality it appears there may be some real home buying opportunities especially if things worsen. If that happens there may be some folks ready to take anything and get out. I doubt Mexico will become a place unlivable and betting it will recover and continue to be a stable and desirable place to live. With that in mind, an intrepid buyer just might get the deal of a lifetime. Wada ya think?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Such a deal Empty Re: Such a deal

Post by David Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Possibly. However, most people who are bottom fishers are always waiting for the bottom to get deeper. A few years ago many thought the C$ would just keep getting stronger, so they waited. Next the the Pesos hit over 15 to the US$ many waited thinking it would continue to weaken, it didn't. A couple of years ago many were sure that prices here would tank like they did in the US, they didn't. Now the excuse is the narco-terrorists. There's always an excuse not to buy. One can always play "let's make a deal" if you're sincere. If you're bottom fishing then keep waiting and see what happens. IMHO, if the US economy keeps on the growth track it's on you'll see prices here begin to rise. The onslaught of the baby-boomers is in it's infancy. They didn't ALL lose all their savings or equity in their homes. It only takes a few hundred of the millions who'll be retiring each year to make a huge difference here.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm

oncesubtle wrote:With the Presidente's war on drugs, the gangs, violence, the hype, hysteria and the 'OMG what next' mentality it appears there may be some real home buying opportunities especially if things worsen. If that happens there may be some folks ready to take anything and get out. I doubt Mexico will become a place unlivable and betting it will recover and continue to be a stable and desirable place to live. With that in mind, an intrepid buyer just might get the deal of a lifetime. Wada ya think?

Yes, Your idea occurred to me. And I've thought about buying another property - even though I need another property like I need a hole in my head. Bob where is the smiley face with the hole in the head. Oh well this will do!
Basta
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:42 pm

simpsca wrote:Yes, Your idea occurred to me. And I've thought about buying another property - even though I need another property like I need a hole in my head. Bob where is the smiley face with the hole in the head. Oh well this will do!
Basta
Lady, no offense, but you need another property like you really!!! "need a hole in the head".
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:58 pm

oncesubtle wrote:With the Presidente's war on drugs, the gangs, violence, the hype, hysteria and the 'OMG what next' mentality it appears there may be some real home buying opportunities especially if things worsen. If that happens there may be some folks ready to take anything and get out. I doubt Mexico will become a place unlivable and betting it will recover and continue to be a stable and desirable place to live. With that in mind, an intrepid buyer just might get the deal of a lifetime. Wada ya think?

Things will certainly get better but maybe they will get worse first. It´s hard to say. Until a couple of weeks ago, I would have thought Egypt, Tunisia or even Bahrain were good places to invest in real estate and I may have been right in the intermediate or long term. In 2000 when we were considering places to retire, Colombia seemed attractive except for the cartel wars which years later came to Mexico because the United States, in their wisdom, helped clean up Colombia and the Caribbean. If we had known the course of coming events, we might very well be living today in Cartegena or the surrounds of Bogatá or Medellin. I tried to talk my French wife into retiring in the Capetown, South Africa area where, even today, one can buy a nice home for under the equivalent of $200,000USD but South Africa then had a spotty reputation.

In the 1960s I thought that when I became older I might retire to Nairobi, Kenya which was, in those days, an attractive city with a splendid climate. Today it is reportedly a crime infested hell hole where white people, such as The Dawg, are marks.

In 2006 we bought a ruin we refurbished in San Cristóbal De Las Casas, Chiapas just after they finished the new autopista straight up the steep escarpment from Tuxtla Gutierrez making San Cristóbal easy to reach for the first time in its history. A sure fire fine investment in a place long isolated but an attractive place to live once accessable. Then Calderon initiated his drug war and made Mexico in general a less attractive real estate investment opportunity.

That´s OK with me. I now have two nice roofs over my head at Lake Chapala and the Chiapas Highlands and I stood by my previously stated axiom to never invest money in Mexico I could not afford to write off. Therefore, my investments at Lakeside and in Chiapas have not proven to be the golden opportunities originally envisioned but I can still inhabit my lousy investments while sipping a bit of Herradura Blanco. Try that with a CETES.

Beer

Last edited by hound dog on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Although I prefer Siete Leguas over Herradura, I agree with your assertion. There's no way to predict what will become of ANY PLACE you choose. We live in Ajijic a little ways up the mountainside with a spectacular view of the lake and mountains. We came here to live and enjoy our life and that's what we're doing with the time we have left.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:38 pm

David wrote:Although I prefer Siete Leguas over Herradura, I agree with your assertion. There's no way to predict what will become of ANY PLACE you choose. We live in Ajijic a little ways up the mountainside with a spectacular view of the lake and mountains. We came here to live and enjoy our life and that's what we're doing with the time we have left.
KUDOS to you!!! Y buena suerte - SIEMPRE. DAMN, they have good "medical" weed in California razberry
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down