INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo

+3
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
gringal
7 posters

Go down

Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo Empty Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo

Post by gringal Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Today yahoo invaded my computer with a new version of everything, including tons of ads.  Even this site had new ads from any and everything below the regular Inside lakeside advertisers. So, I installed Adblock Plus and that eliminated most of the problem.
However, on my various Yahoo Group sites, there is a large white vertical block covering most of the message space with no identifying information but allowing the options of "more" showing through. Any ideas on fixing this?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo Empty Re: Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:16 pm

You have a bug. Best to do a system restore to the point before all this started happening. Then be sure you have a good security software in place.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo Empty Re: Inundated with ads in Spanish with Yahoo

Post by gringal Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:24 pm

CanuckBob wrote:You have a bug. Best to do a system restore to the point before all this started happening. Then be sure you have a good security software in place.

I thought so, too and as a first step, ran all the debugging stuff. This happened when I first booted up today. Yahoo put in a completely new everything today, including the home pages. Everything is changed including the typeface, the format and the color. I'll try the system restore and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:50 am

You people scare me with your love of Yahoo and persistence. I know we have no substitute for Yahoo groups but mail we do. Yep who wants to change email addresses but sometimes it is worth it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 am

Lol. Back in the day of Yahoo dial up, I considered Yahoo a virus.. It would go in and change registrie settings that made it impossible to network the computer.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:46 am

Zedinmexico wrote:You people scare me with your love of Yahoo and persistence.  I know we have no substitute for Yahoo groups but mail we do. Yep who wants to change email addresses but sometimes it is worth it.

Z

Couldn't agree more! Every single friend I know who has been hacked or phished has had a Yahoo account which was the source. Every single one of them went on to change their passwords and continue using Yahoo! Some have been hacked over and over again. I don't get it either, what's up with that? I use hotmail and have never been hacked. Yet.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:49 am

Zedinmexico wrote:You people scare me with your love of Yahoo and persistence.  I know we have no substitute for Yahoo groups but mail we do. Yep who wants to change email addresses but sometimes it is worth it.

Z

Who says I "love" Yahoo?  I surely don't: quite the opposite, since they are constantly throwing sand in my soup.  However, I am a member of several Yahoo groups and they are all coming up with the white rectangle and eliminating the list of other Yahoo groups normally on the left side, including an overlay of miscellaneous useless words.  I can mouse around the problem of reading the posts, at least.  I don't have a problem with Yahoo email at present, and I also use gmail, but they are just as annoying for other reasons.  

Other than changing the entire screen, everything else is working as it should.  Only the "groups" feature.
BTW, I DO love the "adblock" program, with its "do not track" feature.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:06 pm

gringal wrote:Today yahoo invaded my computer with a new version of everything, including tons of ads.  Even this site had new ads from any and everything below the regular Inside lakeside advertisers...
This sounds like what I went through a few weeks ago with Vosteran. I have a dual boot machine (Win7/Ubuntu 14.04) and use Ubuntu almost exclusively but for some reason I went into Windows---what a mess! I'm not much of a computer person and definitely not a Windows person so I don't have any idea how, or when, the computer was corrupted. It took me a little time to see that my choice of search engine had been changed to Vosteran and then it took me several hours over a few days to finally clean up the mess. My not being familiar with Windows probably made it more difficult than it should have been. When this happened I had the free version of Avast and used Google as my default search engine on the Windows side of the machine. Avast didn't stop the problem and Google had been relpaced by Vosteran. The mess did not extend to the Ubuntu side of the computer.
It'll be a long friggin' time before I try Windows again! Blackeye
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Yes, and on top of the other sh...t, they keep insisting I need to upgrade to the new version of Firefox. Been there, done that, and they still want me to permit them to place "selected ads based on your interests" on the site.
BAH, HUMBUG AND GO FISH!!! I hate ads. ALL ads.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:21 am

gringal wrote:Yes, and on top of the other sh...t, they keep insisting I need to upgrade to the new version of Firefox.  Been there, done that, and they still want me to permit them to place "selected ads based on your interests" on the site.
BAH, HUMBUG AND GO FISH!!!  I hate ads.  ALL ads.

As of this morning, I went to my "groups" site and I'm happy to report that YAHOO FIXED IT! Why, how, and so on: Don't care.
What I don't understand is why their techies let this out of the barn in the state it started as. Just makes us at the other end hate 'em even more. Thumbs down

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40 pm

When I opened my Chrome Bookmarks this morning I found a new and improved version. Jeez, I wish they'd leave well enough alone! Instead of a nice uncluttered column of print I now have big colored pictures which only vaguely relate to what is being marked. When I was cleaning up that Vosteran mess a few weeks ago I spent some time getting my bookmarks just the way I wanted them and now Chrome has made them virtually unreadable. Bastages!
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:49 pm

[quote="mattoleriver"]When I opened my Chrome Bookmarks this morning I found a new and improved version. Jeez, I wish they'd leave well enough alone! Instead of a nice uncluttered column of print I now have big colored pictures which only vaguely relate to what is being marked. When I was cleaning up that Vosteran mess a few weeks ago I spent some time getting my bookmarks just the way I wanted them and now Chrome has made them virtually unreadable. Bastages![/quote

And the beat goes on: I discovered that they had changed my default search engine from Google to Yahoo. I clicked on the little magnifying glass and found a whole list of search engines, all checked. I made a few changes, needless to say.
What is it with the "helicopter mom" aspect of Yahoo? Anti-aircraft gun needed.
razberry

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Your gun answer is simple... Drop yahoo out of bomb bay door #2. Oh and don't forget to flush.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am

tictoc wrote:Your gun answer is simple... Drop yahoo out of bomb bay door #2. Oh and don't forget to flush.

Can we flush, or do we need to put it in a separate waste basket? Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:29 am

Very Happy It depends on if you are on septic or city...

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 pm

See, I don't get it. What is up with all the Yahoo loyalty???
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Don't know if it is so much loyalty as laziness. Plus, it is the devil we know. Twisted Evil
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:37 am

Yahoo has a thing called Yahoo groups and many groups use it. Thus some of the loyalty and yes who wants to change ones email address? NO one.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:24 am

Thank you for your understanding, Zed. I belong to two Yahoo groups. The organizations are not going to change. So, there is that.
However, mostly it is just the turmoil of changing. I have a GMail account I created in a fit of anger at Yahoo. But I realized it is another world over there. I really did not want to go through the learning curve and the changing of a 15-year habit. The laziness factor.
Yahoo straightened out and has been fine for me since. I see no reason to go through all I would need to go through to change because other people do not like Yahoo. Other than its quirk of now and then deciding to "improve" things, it works fine for me. When it no longer does, I will bite the bullet.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down