INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US

+8
Pedro
viajero
Ezzie
RVGRINGO
gringal
David
Lady Otter Latté
elevator
12 posters

Go down

Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US Empty Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US

Post by elevator Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 am

tags to expire. We have two cars here and my wife is urging me to go with the South Dakota option, if any are familiar with it. It is much less expensive than the cost of renewing in Georgia, which requires US insurance.

Anecdotal stories I've heard range from driving for years on expired tags with no problems to having vehicles seized. I suspect the truth is the familiar it's ok until it's not refrain, but any comments are welcome.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US Empty Re: Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:03 am

I have been here for seven years. I agree with your assessment that everything is okay until it is not.
I know people driving with NOB plates that expired many years ago, others with South Dakota plates, still others with permenente status and foreign plated cars they still drive. Others can be comfortable only with everything legal and proper no matter how difficult and/or expensive it may be to accomplish that.
I do not personally know anyone who has gotten into trouble for any of the above, even those stopped for one reason or another. There has never been anything that could not be talked or bought out of. I have heard of others not so lucky. You know yourself better than anyone else does and what you can be comfortable with. Life is too short to do something that would make you edgy or nervous as you drive around each day.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US Empty Re: Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US

Post by David Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 am

Get the SD plates.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 am

elevator wrote:tags to expire. We have two cars here and my wife is urging me to go with the South Dakota option, if any are familiar with it. It is much less expensive than the cost of renewing in Georgia, which requires US insurance.

Anecdotal stories I've heard range from driving for years on expired tags with no problems to having vehicles seized. I suspect the truth is the familiar it's ok until it's not refrain, but any comments are welcome.

Depending on which state your tags are from: I sent for a "non-operation form" from CA when our tags were about to expire, which means that when the car was sold, there were no fees due for non-renewal over seven years. CA requires not only insurance current in CA, but also getting smog inspection. (Unrealistic if you don't go back there with the car yearly.) At that point, we drove the car for seven years in Mexico with the old CA plates. Were never stopped on that issue, so can't advise on what would happen.
What you "should" do depends on your level of tolerating risk.
Personally, I would advise selling the car/s and buying Mexican plated, which one has to do eventually if becoming a "permanente" resident.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:44 am

If your car cannot be legally driven where it is registered NoB, it cannot be legally driven in Jalisco. Look it up!
If it cannot be legally driven, your insurance is probably no good.
The importation papers only allow it to BE in Mexico, not necessarily used on the roads.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 am

Many, many Mexicans driving "chocolates" around with the former and expired plates on them from various US states including California.  They have never been nationalized, bearing expired plates, no insurance and probably the drivers don't even have valid driver's licenses.

If you don't have your vehicle legal in all respects, don't waste the money on insuring it - just "self-insure" like many others on the roads here and pay what you can if you are ever involved in a situation where you need to pay to get out of it.

The day may come, but until such time as Mexico starts to get serious about enforcing the laws it has on the books about this, the odds are in your favour.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Note that when an accident happens, you may sometimes see everyone in the car jump out and run for the hills. Probably, as you described; no license, no insurance, no valid ownership = running to escape responsibility. The car is forfeit.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 pm

My tags expired in 2009 and I've been stopped by both transitos and federales a number of times since then,they didn't care about them,but by all means if you're worried about it get the SD plates.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:47 pm

the only reason you need the sd plates is if you have a tourist or temporal and plan on driving NOB. if you only drive in mexico ya don't need the sd plates.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US Empty We have Lewis&Lewis Ins. and are temporal, but think I'll make the wife happy

Post by elevator Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:46 pm

and get the SD plates.

Thanks to all

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Never a bad idea. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Realizing a consensus here is unrealistic, I would welcome feedback on allowing my US Empty Amen to that.

Post by elevator Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:52 pm

nm

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:58 pm

elevator wrote:and get the SD plates.

Thanks to all

I applied for South Dakota plates, and they wanted to charge a sales tax, cause it was Oregon Plated. Blackeye
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:04 am

I thought the new immigration laws made you permanent in 4 years and then you cannot drive a foreign plated car. I paid $20US for the pales and $69 for tabs the next 3 years. At the end of the time I have something to legally sell in the US.

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:32 am

SD is cheap registration. It keeps you legally on the road.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down