INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More on Bacon

+11
Smartalex
gringomojado
Zedinmexico
JayBear
gpbasap
MexicoPete
jeano.gal
Lady Otter Latté
viajero
Rosa Venus
borderreiver
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

More on Bacon - Page 2 Empty Re: More on Bacon

Post by gringomojado Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:53 pm

When I was at the University of Montana, I called by Canadian friends "Canucks",but didn't get called "merkin" in return.
Ya can learn something new every day.

Can one be proud to be a Merkin?
Can a Redneck also be a Merkin?

gm

gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:19 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:So we are suppose to get upset over "merkin"?   I don't think so.

When you were born and raised in the richest, most powerful nation in the history of civilization, it's easy enough to shrug off petty, childlike insults such as "merkin." However, it is still an insult...and obviously intended as such. Would it be appropriate to repeatedly refer to Canadians as "hosers" on this board? Or French people as "frogs?" Or Mexicans as "beaners" or "greasers?" I don't think so. I thought we all agreed to refrain from personal, racial, ethnic and nationalist slurs on this board. Does this agreement apply to everyone? Or is there a double standard here that allows Canadians to insult Americans at will?
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mapleleaf Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:46 pm

It would take a lot worse than "hoser" to offend me. Having said that, I don't think I'd like being called a pubic wig.
mapleleaf
mapleleaf
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:09 pm

mapleleaf wrote:It would take a lot worse than "hoser" to offend me. Having said that, I don't think I'd like being called a pubic wig.
wad are ya some kinda herring choker or is ya a bluenoser; maybe ya got relations of bud the spud too or newfies on the rock? i said before that we canuckleheads here are called hosers by our mexican biker friends. i have bounced this "horrible" "merkin" thing off a few of my "merkin" friends and they think it's funnier than haitch and the people that get upset about it are dipsticks.
now waddabout firkin bacon instead of this baloney.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Smartalex wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:So we are suppose to get upset over "merkin"?   I don't think so.

When you were born and raised in the richest, most powerful nation in the history of civilization, it's easy enough to shrug off petty, childlike insults such as "merkin." However, it is still an insult...and obviously intended as such. Would it be appropriate to repeatedly refer to Canadians as "hosers" on this board? Or French people as "frogs?" Or Mexicans as "beaners" or "greasers?" I don't think so. I thought we all agreed to refrain from personal, racial, ethnic and nationalist slurs on this board. Does this agreement apply to everyone? Or is there a double standard here that allows Canadians to insult Americans at will?

Get a grip Alex. This is about as offensive as the term "gringo" being used around here. Also, I find it offensive that you group together "all Canadian's" based on the fact that Pedro is Canadian.

Given the opportunity we would revoke his citizenship in a heartbeat..... Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by mapleleaf Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm a herring chokin' bluenoser on George Street Saint John's wearing a merkin as a toupee. Now if somebody gets me a bacon burger to go with my fries I'll be happy.
mapleleaf
mapleleaf
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Smartalex wrote:

Still don't care. Gringo doesn't bother me either.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Just fried some top quality bacon (not back) here in Vancouver, B.C. I just basically sweated it in my cast iron pan on low. Awesome. Love my pan. I am now composing my sandwich. Large slices of lightly toasted sourdough, butter, mayo, tomato, the bacon, some butter lettuce and a couple of splashes of "salsa huichol". No salt, no Pedro, just yum.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
Smartalex wrote:

Still don't care. Gringo doesn't bother me either.

Gringo shouldn't bother you since it isn't meant to be a slur. In Mexico, they use the word "gabacho" when insulting Americans. In Spain, the same word is used to insult French people. I think it means frog.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:40 am

I have heard many Mexicans use gringo as a slur. The tone of voice and context of use is usually a good indication.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:36 am

CanuckBob wrote:I have heard many Mexicans use gringo as a slur. The tone of voice and context of use is usually a good indication.

Bingo!!!  One knows the difference.  Besides Gringo can be helpful like we all know what "Gringo stuff" is.  Argument now in US regarding the term Latino. I grew up hearing Italians calling each other bad words. Irish also.  Funny never ever heard Polish people using slang insults towards themselves.  If I am with a mixed group of folks and a Gringo does something stupid like trying to kill us with a car I might say gringo loco and the locals laugh so I guess I use the term as an insult.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am

Nah...gringo by itself is not a slur. You need the proper adjective, as in "pinche gringo," to make it insulting.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

CanuckBob wrote:I have heard many Mexicans use gringo as a slur. The tone of voice and context of use is usually a good indication.

That is a term of endearment! So is "gabacho"

My best friends in Mexico, call me "pinche gringo"!

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:24 am

CanuckBob wrote: The tone of voice and context of use is usually a good indication.

Correcto, that says it all.  Even the word "Mexican" can be a slur when used by a foreigner in the wrong context and tone.
Like when I hear..."they're Mexican, what did you expect" in a demeaning way.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:29 am

gringomojado wrote:

gm

As long as they smile and don't add cabron.   lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

In my opinion it's a mildly disrespectful term that has it's roots in the long and often contentious history of US-Mexico relations.
My wife was not amused when one of her relatives referred to her as (la gringa) because she was married to a gringo.jaja.
I don't like the term gabacho,it's almost always used in an insulting manner.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 pm

viajero wrote:In my opinion it's a mildly disrespectful term that has it's roots in the long and often contentious history of US-Mexico relations.
My wife was not amused when one of her relatives referred to her as (la gringa) because she was married to a gringo.jaja.
I don't like the term gabacho,it's almost always used in an insulting manner.

I'm sure the wifey would find "la Malinche" even less amusing.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 pm

I recall Pedro pitching a fit and falling in it when another poster coined the word Pedrophile. The poster who coined the word said he was referencing Pedro's unique loving of himself that is also not generally understood or approved of by society. But, that meant nothing. The word could not be used because Pedro said it implied he was an immoral lover of children.
I (and several others) thought Pedrophile was clever word play but the word could not be used because of how Pedro felt about it. Not so with merkin. According to Pedro and his fellow Pedrophiles, people who object to its use as a nationalistic slur just need to lighten up. If Pedro had been told the same thing a while back, we merkins on the board could address the Pedrophiles and all have a good laugh on a level playing field.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Not even close......one is a made-up slang about a whole nation of people and the other is a made-up slang about a single person with implications that we can all imagine.

Nice try lady O.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm

And nice try back atcha, CBob.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I recall Pedro pitching a fit and falling in it when another poster coined the word Pedrophile.

That's funny. I guess he doesn't fully understand the suffix. Francophile, bibliophile, cinephile….whatever. Pedro is a Canako.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:39 pm

I thought he was an Oilerophile.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:27 pm

slainte39 wrote:
gringomojado wrote:

gm

As long as they smile and don't add cabron.   lol!

Yes, and no merkin!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
Lady Otter Latté wrote:I recall Pedro pitching a fit and falling in it when another poster coined the word Pedrophile.

That's funny. I guess he doesn't fully understand the suffix. Francophile, bibliophile, cinephile….whatever. Pedro is a Canako.

I don't think it was the suffix as much as the similarity in the spelling and the sound of pedophile and pedrophile.
Casual or new members might not pickup on the difference and as much as Pedro might deserve some retribution, that is below the belt.
Older members of the board would probably understand that it was just insulting humour, but the/any onus of pedophilia is something I would not wish on anybody unless they actually deserved it.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

slainte39 wrote:
Older members of the board would probably understand that it was just insulting humour, but the/any onus of pedophilia is something I would not wish on anybody unless they actually deserved it.

Fair enough. Makes sense.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2