INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drinking water preferences

5 posters

Go down

Drinking water preferences Empty Drinking water preferences

Post by bonjon42 Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:05 am

We are moving to a house that has a whole house water purification system plus one individual spigot that is hooked to a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. We are excited about this because we have always just had city water coming through a tinaca.
I'm curious though about how everyone feels about purified water. What do you use it for? Do you drink it or use it for cooking? I guess I understand that the reverse osmosis is just an additional step of purification of the already purified water but how comfortable is everyone is the use of just the purified water?
bonjon42
bonjon42

Back to top Go down

Drinking water preferences Empty Re: Drinking water preferences

Post by gringal Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:54 am

bonjon42 wrote:We are moving to a house that has a whole house water purification system plus one individual spigot that is hooked to a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. We are excited about this because we have always just had city water coming through a tinaca.
I'm curious though about how everyone feels about purified water. What do you use it for? Do you drink it or use it for cooking? I guess I understand that the reverse osmosis is just an additional step of purification of the already purified water but how comfortable is everyone is the use of just the purified water?

We installed a whole house purification system and drink it from the tap with no further treatment. No problems. Used the H2Ole company whose office is in the mall next to El Torito in Ajijic. You need to keep the filters changed as scheduled.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:30 am

Go ahead and have H2Ole inspect your system...have them change the filters if needed and that way you will know the start point for "time in use" which has very little function as to when they need to be changed again..The change frequency has two primary factors:
One is the amount of debris in your water, and the other is the amount of water used. The condition of your filters upon the next change will provide you an approximation of whether you need to change the filters more or less frequently. I am sure H2Ole will discuss this with you..

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Semalu Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 pm

I second Helohfe's recommendation for a H2Ole inspection before you use it. The in house system is only as good as the maintenance it has received. Take care of it and you can use, drink, shower in it without keeping your mouth closed, do whatever you want with the water straight from the tap. If the system has been neglected, you do not want to try it out by drinking a cup.... H2Ole will tell it to you straight.

Semalu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:08 am

It depends on the well where the water comes from.  I live in upper Ajijic and the city water has over 650PPM . So we have mineral water.  Pleated Filter takes our particles,  Carbon filter takes out chemical and bad taste, and UV light kills bugs.  None of these helps hard water situation. I found calcium at 150PPM so we put in a water softener to take out calcium. Now no more CLR on all the tiles to get rid of white stuff.  We still have sodium in the water but decided we don't need reverse Osmosis to get rid of the sodium as the taste is bad.  Trick for reverse osmosis water which can be tasteless is to add a quart of mineral water to the five gallon jug of water for taste.

After research we decided to drink the water sodium and all as we found no evidence of health problems for normal folks.  Others due to health conditions might want to do something different but yes you can drink the water without reverse osmosis.  I have also found most water here is much less in minerals than up here. For example at my friends house in La Floresta without water softener but full filtering and UV light we showed 350PPM on meter.  So things vary.

Hope this helps.    Remember to make sure the UV light is on all the time and replace after one year even if the light still works!!   Filter replacement varies by casa.  Mine is every six months but I have a cheap prefilter that I change every two months to save the expensive filters from clogging up with sand. When moving into house unless I know for sure I replace all filters and UV lightbulbs so I know how old they are. Dirty filters can be more dangerous than no filters if stuff starts growing on them. I do not trust being told sure they are swell laugh out loud unless they were on maintenance contract with proof of replacement especially the bulb. Trick around here to save money is to put two pleated filters in instead of one and a carbon filter. I prefer Block carbon filter over some of the cheaper carbon filters but I am paranoid about water. Don't forget if power off bulb is off and don't open a tap. If you do flush out pipes after power comes back on. You will love having filtered water. Also if you have poor neighbors offer them water it would save them a lot of money and make you feel good!

Z

Second H2Ole.  No question very good.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down