INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prime rib

+9
CheenaGringo
oncesubtle
CanuckBob
David
GBATRUCKS
kipissippi
hound dog
ferret
Solovino
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Prime rib Empty Prime rib

Post by Solovino Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Yesterday I brought home a 5 kilo prime rib from Carnes Finas de Sonora, cost me 125 pesos a kilo. We had it today for our dinner and it was excellent, juicy and fork tender. It was just as good as I remember the prime rib at Johnny's Dock in Tacoma, Wa. years ago. Tomorrow we'll make French Dips with the leftovers.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Prime rib Empty Re: Prime rib

Post by ferret Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 pm

You're making my mouth water. Where is Carnes Finas de Sonora located?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Solovino wrote:Yesterday I brought home a 5 kilo prime rib from Carnes Finas de Sonora, cost me 125 pesos a kilo. We had it today for our dinner and it was excellent, juicy and fork tender. It was just as good as I remember the prime rib at Johnny's Dock in Tacoma, Wa. years ago. Tomorrow we'll make French Dips with the leftovers.

Now, listen here, Solvino. This is Bubba speaking, Get serious. Great prime rib from Sonora? In your dreams. You´ve been down here too long, amigo. Tacoma? The asshole of NOB?

Time to rethink your priorities.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Now Bamaboy, ..I know it's cocktail time but be nice

Cousin Kippy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 pm

They do raise pretty good beef in Washington, puppy.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon May 09, 2011 8:05 pm

hound dog wrote:
Now, listen here, Solvino. This is Bubba speaking, Get serious. Great prime rib from Sonora? In your dreams. You´ve been down here too long, amigo. Tacoma? The asshole of NOB?

Time to rethink your priorities.

I love it when pretentious puds like the fat boy run their mouth about something they know nothing about. Oh well, he'll miss out on a real treat out of ignorant conceit. Who's the loser here?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Where is Carnes Selecta located?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon May 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Vallarta 4951
Prados Vallarta, 45000 Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
01 33 3629 5159
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Gracias!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon May 09, 2011 8:31 pm

David wrote:Gracias!

It is Carnes Finas de Sonora. They have several locations but I usually visit the main store on Vallarta. It is east of the Patria overpass a couple of blocks on the south side of Vallarta. You must take the lateral not the main Vallarta lanes.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Si, claro. Muchas gracias!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 09, 2011 10:14 pm

The best way I find to cook prime rib is long and slow. Here's how I do it:

Coat it with a butter & peppercorn rub and put in the fridge the night before. Take it out in the morning and let it warm up to room temp. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place the roast in a shallow pan with about 1 inch of water. Cook for about 45 minutes. Turn off the oven but don't open the door. Plug the oven vent if it has one. Let the roast slow cook for about 6 - 8 hours. DON"T OPEN THE DOOR. Turn the oven back (remember to unplug the vent) to 425 degrees for 45 minutes. Take the roast out and let sit for about 15 minutes. This will taste unbelievable. It is how many restaurants cook it.

Note: the pre and post cooking can be reduced or extended depending on the size of the roast. I do a 15lb roast every Xmas and do 1 hour pre cook and 1 hour post cook for medium rare.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm

This would depend on the heat-retention capability of the oven...I wouldn't try it without a remote reading thermometer inserted in the center of the meat to be sure the temp isn't dropping below 145F...that's when the buggies start a-growin.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 am

Nope, its just like a pit cooked roast. The pre and post cooking will take care of any bugs.......

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Wed May 11, 2011 7:52 pm

...hate to argue with success, however with many years in the restaurant-catering industry, and years of competition chili & bar-b-q cookoffs, I beg to differ.

(1) a pit-bar-b-q involves burning down a bunch of hardwood to provide a constant heat source, adding the wrapped meat, then tightly sealing the pit so no heat escapes. Not enough wood to provide a constant heat source, or a leak in the sealing will result in disaster...something I've seen happen twice in the past 40 years.

(2) Not all bacteria can be killed by heat or cold.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, here is an excerpt from the USDA on food preparation, which is basic to any course in food handling & preparation:

The "Danger Zone" (40 °F-140 °F)
Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone." That's why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour.

More info here:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/how_temperatures_affect_food/index.asp
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 11, 2011 8:18 pm

It's your right to differ so throw it on high on the BBQ for a couple of hours and have at her.....LOL. Seriously if you feel better with the thermometer than by all means use it but still try the recipe.

There's always a chance for food poisoning with just about any meat cooked less than well especially if it wasn't handled properly by the butcher. I don't know many people chucking a meat thermometer into their BBQ'd rare T-bone however I suppose some do.

I've been doing it this way for about 15 years and never had any problems.

I've never used a meat thermometer for any cooking and have never had any problems. Just lucky I guess.

BTW your talking to the 2008/09 Ribfest champion, 2010 ChiliFest champion and the holder of a foodsafe certificate.

Guess we'll be meeting on the Chili battlefield soon........hehe.

Prime rib 531444
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Wed May 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Are you talking about the Ajijic Chili cookoff?...A non sanctioned popularity contest with no judging standards? I cooked there this year with a New Mexico style Green Chili...freaked most of the people out, as they had no idea chili could be anything but red...didn't place well, but it's placed and won at enough real cookoffs NOB that I aint changin' it!

Of course I'm not talking about using a thermo in a steak, or not eating rare meat...my idea of a well cooked steak is to run that sucker thru the campfire & cut a slice off as she goes by! I'd sure like to know how the info from the USDA quoted above differs from that provided from the (I assume) Canadian authorities that sanctioned your food handlers cert.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 pm

That is what I was referring to however if it is bogus event then we should start another cook-off and include some meat products such as ribs and brisket....hmmm, hmmm....(gonna have to build a smoker).

I don't think there is much difference in the sanctioning bodies however I do believe the Canadian requirements are a bit tighter as there are some USDA products that are not allowed into Canada. I'm not disputing your facts I'm just saying I don't use a meat thermometer. I hardly wear a seat belt or drive the speed limit either........and I smoke, probably drink too much and don't eat all my vegetables.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Bacteria are rarely found in the center of a cut of meat. They will grow on the surfaces if the conditions allow but they usually don't penetrate into the center, especially in a large cut like a roast. For that reason ground beef is more of a problem. The germs on the surface of the meat before grinding are ground into the mix.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 am

Operative word is "rarely"...Bob says he takes the roast out in the morning and lets it warm to room temperature. Now that scares the hell out of me. I (and the USDA) think you want to move through the "danger range" as quickly as possible...either by cooking or cooling.

BTW, I didn't mean to bash the Ajijic cookoff. The Ajijic Chili Cookoff is a great event and a big fund raiser. I've cooked there 3 times over the years and plan to continue. But it is a "people's choice" cookoff, not ICS or CASI sanctioned which means we can cook for fun & not worry about spending a lot of time and money on ingredents chasing points to qualify for the Nationals. After 30 years of competition cooking, That's a relief.

Last edited by GBATRUCKS on Thu May 12, 2011 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 am

GBATRUCKS wrote:Operative word is "rarely"...Bob says he takes the roast out in the morning and lets it warm to room temperature. Now that scares the hell out of me. I (and the USDA) think you want to move through the "danger range" as quickly as possible...either by cooking or cooling.

I highly doubt that bacteria will be able to penetrate into the center of a roast. Although I wouldn't warm to room temp in the same manner, anything that starts to grow on the surface, (and if the rest of the conditions are clean as I imagine they, are there won't be any pathogens to start with), they will be killed by the high cooking temp.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu May 12, 2011 7:25 am

Again, from the USDA,

"If raw meats have been mishandled (left in the "Danger Zone" too long), bacteria may grow and produce toxins which can cause foodborne illness. Those toxins that are heat resistant are not destroyed by cooking. Therefore, even though cooked, meat and poultry mishandled in the raw state may not be safe to eat even after proper preparation."

GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 am

GBATRUCKS wrote:Again, from the USDA,

"If raw meats have been mishandled (left in the "Danger Zone" too long), bacteria may grow and produce toxins which can cause foodborne illness. Those toxins that are heat resistant are not destroyed by cooking. Therefore, even though cooked, meat and poultry mishandled in the raw state may not be safe to eat even after proper preparation."

Again,

If you have clean prep areas to start with the chances are highly reduced.

Now tell us please, which are "those" toxins that heat won't kill? Botulism? Nope. Salmonella? Nope. E. Coli? Nope.

It is one thing to be cautious and another to be paranoid.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/poison.html

Check out the graph down the page a ways.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 am

Toxins: Toxins of most concern are produced by Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium perfringens, Bacillus cereus, and Staphylococcus aureus. All are the result of the growth of bacteria and the production of toxins in foods that have been mishandled. These bacteria are common in the environment and are often found on carcasses. Proper cooking, fermentation, cooling, and storage of food can prevent growth of these bacteria and, more importantly, the production of their toxins. However, cooking will not destroy several of these toxins once they are formed in food. ...same USDA source.

OK...Enough. We are boring the hell out of everybody. Go ahead and ignore the "danger zone" if you want. I'll stick with the USDA recomendations.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 am

You're not boring the hell out of me.
Solovino, that was a good link that you posted but you didn't read your own information well.
1) Some variants of Eschericia coli MAY produce a heat resistant toxin.
2) Any time a heat resistant spore is present it can reproduce the bacteria and its corresponding toxin whenever it feels the conditions are right.

Don't be paranoid but do be safe...and I think I'll eat at GBATRUCKS and not at Bob's 'cuz I agree with him (and Solovino) about the sitting at room temperature.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next