INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trip's Burger

+22
Lady Otter Latté
gringal
DaveP
Canada_Mike
Zedinmexico
viajero
benjji
Trailrunner
WDBarr
Chapalagringa
David
lunateak
hickton
TioBob
Kiri
elgringo
slainte39
borderreiver
CanuckBob
Intercasa
Gamina
Ms.Thang
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trip's Burger - Page 3 Empty Re: Trip's Burger

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:04 pm

WDBarr wrote:
gringal wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Ditto.
Either buy a burger or quit stalking the place!

How do ya "stalk" a burger joint? Stride back and forth with arms akimbo and an angry frown? Twisted Evil

Good point, Gringal.

Sometimes I think posters don't understand the meaning of the words, or phrases, they use. In Trip's defense, I think he ought to assess his employees and fire them immediately if they are not following his directions. If you notice, the reviews about the burgers are mixed - even among our friends.

Some say that the burgers are terrific, others are very disappointed (as I was with my raw burgers). What is the cause of this? Careless employees.

Trip needs to get behind the counter for a while, assess and fire the employees who don't care. In my own business, I would train an employee for six months so I could leave for a weekend and while I was gone, the employee would close early, bring their kids and dogs into the business and behind the counter, tell customers with difficult orders to come back another time. So, I know that bad employees can kill a business.

Fire them, Trip, and hire others until you get the right team. My friend is going to withhold reviewing Trip's for now, and visit again in a few weeks and give them a chance to fix their employee problem.

Hey, the service was great....5 minute wait for the order. there were 2 ahead of us, numbers 20 and 21 as they called them out, so what is there to complain about.
The patties are a little small, so ordered the double sin salsa (don't care much for that), raw onion (you get a choice), and the rest of the add on  toppings.  The big bun with a small patty(ies) isn't good marketing (should be the other way around) but with fries and a shake, couldn't have eaten anymore.
I also think it's a little pricey for what you get but I don't eat there every day and it's the best around until you go into Ajijic or down to Mario's.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:39 am

Have been twice. Our party had burger, cheeseburger, fries, coke and Vanilla Shake. No complaints. Employee came over and asked us how it was than later owner/manager came over. It is very close to In and Out and a wonderful addition to food here. Got take out yesterday and it was very good. I have found the product to be consistant and tasty. Some one said too much salt but I did not find it to be true.  I did not bother to count anything Benji I was too busy eating food. I give it a nine out of ten for what it is.  Maybe expand to onion rings in future? Burger size seems fine to me and DONT TOUCH THE SIZE OF THE FRIES!! Vanilla shake was absolutely wonderful and it comes with a spoon also.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Just tripped into this convo and I find it puzzling. Why argue about the quality of a fast food burger? They're fast food, cheap, and unless someone gets salmonella, who cares? I had a burger to day at Gossip's that was fabulous, and I happily paid the ciento pesos (or whatever,) and waited patiently for it to be delivered. Fast food burgers are the same the world over - barely acceptable at best.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:44 pm

I enjoy burgers at several different places here, but every now and then I miss a good old fast-food style burger and Trip's satisfies that yearning.
As for the "why argue" question, we're mostly old and retired. Why not argue about hamburgers?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:Just tripped into this convo and I find it puzzling. Why argue about the quality of a fast food burger? They're fast food, cheap, and unless someone gets salmonella, who cares? I had a burger to day at Gossip's that was fabulous, and I happily paid the ciento pesos (or whatever,) and waited patiently for it to be delivered. Fast food burgers are the same the world over - barely acceptable at best.

I think you have it right.  A fast food burger is, at best, acceptable for what it is, but if you want a good burger, go to a real restaurant with a reputation for quality food and have your burger.  More likely to satisfy.

When you said "cheap", I want to point out the in the case of Trip's, it costs more for what you get than in most sit-down restaurants.  70 pesos for the double burger (which is what you need to order if you want something substantial), and the fries are extra.  For less than 100 pesos, you can get a better burger with fries at any number of local eateries. Examples:
Had a large sirloin burger at Arileo last week with fries, good cheese: 60 pesos
Had one today at Cocinart with bacon, carmelized onions, side of taters and mini-salad:60 pesos
Gossip's burger is a little pricier, but uses fine meat. Less than 100 pesos, with side.
....and so on.

Got to say, I've never seen such loyalty to any burger place as I've seen from some of Trip's customers.  Maybe he has a lot of cousins. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Cocinart burger has bacon AND carmelized onions? Yeeaaaaaa! That will be my next stop for a burger fix. Thanks for the tip, Gringal.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Cocinart burger has bacon AND carmelized onions? Yeeaaaaaa! That will be my next stop for a burger fix. Thanks for the tip, Gringal.

Nice thick burger, and a big glop of Gouda cheese. Yummy.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 pm

gringal
Had a large sirloin burger at Arileo last week with fries, good cheese: 60 pesos

Was that some kind of special?
Went there yesterday for lunch....only one kind of burger (beef) offered on the menu. Price was 88 pesos with fries, but it was big and a full meal. Not complaining about the price.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:22 am

slainte39 wrote:

gringal

Was that some kind of special?
Went there yesterday for lunch....only one kind of burger (beef) offered on the menu. Price was 88 pesos with fries, but it was big and a full meal. Not complaining about the price.

There are two menus: the regular tri-fold large menu and a small "brunch" menu on a stand at the table (no typical "brunch" items on it, just some sandwiches and a small pizza). The less expensive burger is on the brunch menu. I don't know if it's smaller than the one on the larger menu, but it's bigger than Trip's double. Choice of regular, sweet potato fries or mixed fries with it. If you're really hungry sometime, try the "deliete" sandwich on that menu. Amazing.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:19 am

I came to Mexico to get away from Mac's. I couldn't stand it in Canada. In Ontario I only tried the charcoal grilled burgers at Harveys. A local joint in Hamilton that became Province wide.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:24 am

DaveP wrote:I came to Mexico to get away from Mac's. I couldn't stand it in Canada. In Ontario I only tried the charcoal grilled burgers at Harveys. A local joint in Hamilton that became Province wide.

Harvey's - Long Live the Grill

https://youtu.be/muTcovEq0-I

Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

DaveP wrote:I came to Mexico to get away from Mac's. I couldn't stand it in Canada. In Ontario I only tried the charcoal grilled burgers at Harveys. A local joint in Hamilton that became Province wide.

LOL.....MacDonald's has been in Guadalajara for at least 25 years.  Just have to avoid certain streets.
Also Burger King, Carl's Jr., Whataburger, Wendy's (came and went), and an assortment of local burger establishments....all offering jalapenos on the side.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:40 am

When I moved from England to Canada in 1967 I was introduced to Harveys' Hamburgers on highway 2 in Hamilton Ontario. It was just a local burger joint. Charcoal grilled and a multitude of very fresh toppings. Over the years it expanded across Ontario and Canada. No other hamburger joint can compare with their charcoal grilled burgers. I will accept quality over quantity and charcoal grilled over fried any day. Most of the rest are just fried on a conveyor belt. YUK
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:57 am

DaveP wrote:When I moved from England to Canada in 1967 I was introduced to Harveys' Hamburgers on highway 2 in Hamilton Ontario. It was just a local burger joint. Charcoal grilled and a multitude of very fresh toppings. Over the years it expanded across Ontario and Canada. No other hamburger joint can compare with their charcoal grilled burgers. I will accept quality over quantity and charcoal grilled over fried any day. Most of the rest are just fried on a conveyor belt. YUK

Having lived a deprived life with no Harvey burgers in it, my ratings depend on what I've encountered when stuck in the "need some food; even fast food" situations.  I'm assuming that In'nOut Burgers have deteriorated in the past dozen years I've been away if people are comparing it to Trip's, but that would have had top marks.  After that, the top $ offering at Carl's Jr., followed closely by Burger King, then Wendy's with McD's at the bottom of the list.

You're absolutely right about charcoal grilled!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:04 am

No, people are comparing Trip's to In N Out, saying it is "like" INO and will do until you can get NOB. I will repeat one more time, nothing down here is going to be "just like" whatever from NOB.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:No, people are comparing Trip's to In N Out, saying it is "like" INO and will do until you can get NOB. I will repeat one more time, nothing down here is going to be "just like" whatever from NOB.

How about: It's NOTHING LIKE In N Out. No comparison at all. In N Out was a generous char broiled (I'm pretty sure) burger which wasn't oversauced or overpriced. Enough said. I still think Trip has a lot of cousins.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:39 am

Just had my first Trip burger. I had the double burger combo for $110 peso's. It was awesome. For those looking for the "fast food" burger fix it is probably the best in town. Better than BK or MacDonald's IMO.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:35 am

CanuckBob wrote:Just had my first Trip burger. I had the double burger combo for $110 peso's. It was awesome. For those looking for the "fast food" burger fix it is probably the best in town. Better than BK or MacDonald's IMO.

I've been meaning to give it another try since he was just getting things organized the first time we went. How does it compare with the $60 peso burger at the Plaza which comes with good crispy fries included? (If you haven't tried that one, it's worth a visit.)

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 am

It doesn't "compare." Just like it doesn't compare to Bruno's mesquite-fired, extra thick burger with carmelized onions. Different experience. Sometimes nothing but a Tripburger will do. That does not change the enjoyment of other favorite burgers.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am

gringal wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Just had my first Trip burger. I had the double burger combo for $110 peso's. It was awesome. For those looking for the "fast food" burger fix it is probably the best in town. Better than BK or MacDonald's IMO.

I've been meaning to give it another try since he was just getting things organized the first time we went.  How does it compare with the $60 peso burger at the Plaza which comes with good crispy fries included?  (If you haven't tried that one, it's worth a visit.)

Which Plaza?  Which town?.....or is that the name of a restaurant?
Hard to compare when we don't know where we are at or have never heard of it.
I noticed Bob didn't include Carl's Jr. or Johnny Rocket's. (my first two choices).

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:08 am

It is as good as the Johnny Rockets in GDL. It is better than the burger at Jardin's in the plaza.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:08 am

Like many on here have said, we can't keep comparing NOB food with the food here. It's like trying to compare something you remember as a kid, with today's world. Not going to be the same!
I think there are many good choices in Lakeside for burgers, depending on one's taste.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 am

suegarn wrote:Like many on here have said, we can't keep comparing NOB food with the food here.  It's like trying to compare something you remember as a kid, with today's world.  Not going to be the same!
I think there are many good choices in Lakeside for burgers, depending on one's taste.  

My comparisons were Lake Chapala and Guadalajara. There are probably a dozen Carl's Jr's in Guad and at least 4 or 5 Johnny Rocket's, all Mexican owned and operated.  They buy the name and bring in the jalapenos. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:26 am

All big brands sell franchises. Most menu items are the same as in the USA but others are regional. e.g. in Japan both McDonald's and Burger King offer Teriyaki burgers.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:09 pm

The Plaza in Ajijic has indoor/outdoor dining and serves quite good food at a reasonable price.  That's the one I was referring to.

Yes, I'd say a fair comparision in chain burgers would be starting at the top, i.e. Johnny Rockets and going down from there, with McDonalds near the bottom. I sort of like B.K.
As someone else said, you can't compare what's here with what's back NOB in our memories.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Where is The Plaza restaurant in Ajijic?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next