INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55-59

+9
Trailrunner
brigitte
Carry Bean
RVGRINGO
gringal
CanuckBob
viajero
Ojalero
UrbanMan
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55-59 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55-59

Post by gringal Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:12 am

UrbanMan wrote:
viajero wrote:Here's my perspective,I didn't move to Mexico to hang out with other gringos,I could have done that in the US.There are plenty of intelligent, interesting,fun loving Mexicans to meet here if you speak the language.

Very valid point, and I agree completely.  My learning of Spanish is in progress to help with that.  That said, if I had to guess, I expect some portion of the people I get to know will be fellow escapees.  Variety is the ideal state.

I agree with the point that it's not just an age issue as much as one of  lifestyle.  There is a lot of difference between the "early cocktails till near passout" crowd and the Plein Air painting group. Between the motorcyclists and the kayakers. And so on.......
The only way to find out is to be there for awhile, wherever "there" is.  I know this because circumstances caused me to move around..........a lot. (No, I wasn't running from the law.) Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55-59 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55-59

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 am

Yes, those that like to stay out late and party at the bars will meet all the "like minded" people. Go to El Barco at 11:00pm on a Friday or Saturday night and it is packed.

Of course there are more older people here as many younger people do not yet have the means to pack up and move to Mexico. Most of the "under 55" ones I know are working down here or they work in the oil fields up north for a few months of the year and spend the rest of the time here.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am

CanuckBob wrote:And there are even a lot of Mexicans who speak English.......especially the younger ones.

Exactly, if you are not proficient in the language. 
There are probably more of them than looking for foreigners who speak the language in your desired age group.  Believe it or not, they even understand your culture because many of them have been to the other side or get exposed to it here.  Music, movies, TV, books, concerts, family members who have been NOB, foreigners, even schools, etc., etc.. etc.
They are not as alien to your "lifestyle" as you may think

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanMan Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:30 pm

slainte39 wrote:They are not as alien to your "lifestyle" as you may think

Based on my limited first-person exposure, I share this take. I was in Guad for a vacay last year, tshirts with names of American cities and sports teams are everywhere. While of course they dislike the canucks and yanks who are all fuss budget and complainey, seems as soon as they sense you aren't one of those, the locals become totally nice.

I was at a very Mexican hotel, not bare bones but definitely not luxury either. The room didn't have a fridge, and I was using a little insulated bag to have some cold drinks. It really wasn't working that well, the ice would melt, it would leak on the floor a bit, but it sorta kinda got the job done. On the third day, the door guy sees me come in the front entrance mid-afternoon, and he comes over and is all, espera aquí, espera aquí. I had no idea what was going on, because the rest of his in-Spanish words were totally over my head, but okay, I'll wait. He rushes off somewhere, and a minute later, he returns with an OXXO styrofoam cooler ... I'm guessing some other guest had left it behind. The dots that got connected behind the scenes (ie. the maid sees the bag leaking, tells the door guy, he has a cooler somewhere, he specifically makes a point to get it to me), totally sweet and cool.
UrbanMan
UrbanMan

Humor : Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:47 pm

And that is exactly why I love it here. I think you've got it right.

The things that go on behind the scene: the nod of a head, a bit of eye chatter, a short whistle from the street, a niño sent running to fill a need, a hand signal, etc all help to create the magic of what is called living in Mexico.

Just pick a place and enjoy, you'll find your peeps.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:57 pm

I moved here when I was 46 and am now 53. I didn't like it at all, at first. (It wasn't just the age thing, it also had to do with me moving to a small town for the first time in my life after living in very large cities.)

On the age topic, it was difficult for me because immediately upon moving here I found myself in the company of a lot of English speakers who were considerably older than me. Good people, nice people, but we were missing a lot of common cultural reference points. (There were a LOT of "What are we talking about?" moments, etc. "Never heard of that band….or that TV show…. only vaguely know about that landmark event in history", etc. A lot of "Where were you when….?" questions were only answerable with, "A crib." It was weird recognizing that it was just an age difference thing. So yes, age differences make a difference, despite what anyone else might suggest.)

Nonetheless, I got over myself and have found some great people here, of all ages. It definitely takes some time and effort to find the right sorts to build your community. But the cool thing is there are ALL sorts of people here with a wide variety of interests and experiences. Of all ages.

I've also worked hard to learn Spanish. Very hard. And for me, personally, that has been the key to a much richer experience here. It has made all the difference in the world.

Now, my very best friends are a mix of Mexicans and expats. My expat friends tend to be older than me, but young at heart. And my Mexican friends tend to be younger than me, but wise beyond there years. Works for me. What a great combination, no?

It's a great place to live once you figure out how to do it happily. Good luck with your decision.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanMan Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:53 am

Rosa Venus wrote:age differences make a difference, despite what anyone else might suggest.

It has an impact everywhere.  So of course it will in Mexico as well.

Rosa Venus wrote:I've also worked hard to learn Spanish. Very hard. And for me, personally, that has been the key to a much richer experience here. It has made all the difference in the world.

Now, my very best friends are a mix of Mexicans and expats. My expat friends tend to be older than me, but young at heart. And my Mexican friends tend to be younger than me, but wise beyond there years. Works for me. What a great combination, no?

Yes, a great combination.
UrbanMan
UrbanMan

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanMan Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:It's a great place to live once you figure out how to do it happily. Good luck with your decision.

I feel like the decision is being made for me.  Living in the usa is becoming less appealing with each passing month, on several levels. 

Why Mexico?  Once a person starts looking at the globe, and asking where's a good place to be?, it is surprising how fast the world gets small.  Other continents, other countries, seem to be more about barriers than anything else.  Mexico's relative simplicity - in terms of regulations and bureaucracy - is a big virtue.  And on the ground day to day, it is not so dissimilar from home that I'd feel completely like a fish out of water.
UrbanMan
UrbanMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2