INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Walmart brine their chicken?

+9
viajero
gringal
Lady Otter Latté
borderreiver
Flamingo
Ojalero
David
WDBarr
tbh1
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does Walmart brine their chicken? Empty Does Walmart brine their chicken?

Post by tbh1 Thu May 12, 2016 9:05 am

I suspect that Walmart brines their chicken but I don't have any numbers on it.    Does anyone know about this?   I know that Sam's in the US used to brine much of their "fresh" chicken and it increased the amount of sodium substantially.    Most of us don't need more sodium.

If they do brine it, we can probably remove a substantial amount of it by soaking it in water for an hour.    I've done that and ended up with white chicken and yellow water but still, I don't have the chemicals (AgNO3 and K2Cr04) to test for sodium.    Thanks.

tbh1

Back to top Go down

Does Walmart brine their chicken? Empty Re: Does Walmart brine their chicken?

Post by WDBarr Tue May 17, 2016 7:55 pm

I don't think that Walmart brines their chickens, but I can tell you that dark yellow chickens are usually because they are allowed to roam free to scratch for bugs and small plants. I raised chickens. When we had children at home, we read Mother Earth News and raised and butchered our own chickens, along with a lot of other back-to-the-landers in rural Connecticut, and one thing we noticed with farm raised chickens is that they have a much darker skin - probably because of the variety in their diet (bugs, kitchen and garden scraps). Maybe Walmart sources local poultry and Mexicans are not corporate farmers, so the chickens we are getting are free-range. Wouldn't that be nice?

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 pm

It would be but it's not.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Wed May 18, 2016 5:16 pm

The darker color of the chicken's meat and egg yolks is due to the addition of marigold petals to their feed.
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 pm

I think WalMart and Soriana soak their chicken in a salt-???chemical?? solution to plump them up and preserve them so you buy a little water with your chicken. Just buy your chicken from the chicken ladies in the Chapala Mercado and get lovely fresh chicken - no chemicals.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Pollo Gordo or Puritan Poultry IMHO.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed May 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Walmart Mexico (population 120 million plus) is probably not interested in satisfying any of your feel good free range, organic, yadayada fantasies. You get what you for. High quality protein - $$$$

borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Wed May 18, 2016 11:20 pm

borderreiver wrote:Walmart Mexico (population 120 million plus) is probably not interested in satisfying any of your feel good free range, organic, yadayada fantasies. You get what you for. High quality protein - $$$$

And you know this for a fact? You have raised and butchered chickens? So, let me ask the readers here: You have someone who knows about chickens, who has raised them and butchered them and then eaten them and you have someone with a half-assed opinion based on absolutely no experience or facts. Who will you trust?

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Wed May 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Ojalero wrote:The darker color of the chicken's meat and egg yolks is due to the addition of marigold petals to their feed.

interesting. That could be. We fed ours on bugs and greens from the garden and scraps from the kitchen, in addition to corn scratch. Their skin was very yellow. I think farmers rely on what is available.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 am

I would trust someone whose response to a post seems to have something to do with what the poster actually said as opposed to looking for an argument for no reason at all.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 am

David wrote:Pollo Gordo or Puritan Poultry IMHO.

What claims does Puritan Poultry make about the source for their chickens? I've been buying them because they taste good, but that's all I know. Now I'm curious.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 19, 2016 10:04 am

Jose' buys his chickens from Bachoco, Mexico's largest poultry producer. You can read all about them and their products on their website. http://www.bachoco.com.mx/
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 19, 2016 10:16 am

David wrote:Jose' buys his chickens from Bachoco, Mexico's largest poultry producer.  You can read all about them and their products on their website.  http://www.bachoco.com.mx/

Thanks.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 19, 2016 10:23 am

Ojalero wrote:The darker color of the chicken's meat and egg yolks is due to the addition of marigold petals to their feed.
That's what I've heard,the cempasuchil/flor de Dia de Muertos gives them the color.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 19, 2016 10:43 am

WDBarr wrote:

interesting. That could be. We fed ours on bugs and greens from the garden and scraps from the kitchen, in addition to corn scratch. Their skin was very yellow. I think farmers rely on what is available.  

As far back as the 30's depression and WWII, small and poor farms in the Midwest US bought chicken "mash" for their small flocks...along with oyster shell for layers.
Greens and bugs??....not for 6 months of the year.  What kind of kitchen scraps? Not canned goods...meat scraps...bones??

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 19, 2016 3:04 pm

WDBarr wrote:
borderreiver wrote:Walmart Mexico (population 120 million plus) is probably not interested in satisfying any of your feel good free range, organic, yadayada fantasies. You get what you for. High quality protein - $$$$

And you know this for a fact? You have raised and butchered chickens? So, let me ask the readers here: You have someone who knows about chickens, who has raised them and butchered them and then eaten them and you have someone with a half-assed opinion based on absolutely no experience or facts. Who will you trust?

The discussion concerns the source of supply for Walmart chickens. Unless you have experience as a buyer for Walmex your experience as chicken grower is useless in this discussion.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Thu May 19, 2016 3:31 pm

viajero wrote:
That's what I've heard,the cempasuchil/flor de Dia de Muertos gives them the color.

You are right, but the flower is one and the same. Pardon my using English names.
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu May 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Any place to get a capon? They don't seem to be as popular as they were years ago but sure tasted good. Some of Puritan's chickens look as big as capons.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Ask Jose'.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 pm

David wrote:
WDBarr wrote:

The discussion concerns the source of supply for Walmart chickens.  Unless you have experience as a buyer for Walmex your experience as chicken grower is useless in this discussion.

No it wasn't. It was about brining chickens. I have bought Walmart chickens and cooked them. They are not brined. I have raised chickens and butchered them myself, and found them to be plumper and yellower than store bought. I have also brined and cooked poultry and know the difference. And your background for just-another-half-assed opinion?

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Your previous reply had to do with whether or not Walmart purchased locally. They do not. You can stick your background questions where the sun don't shine. Your kind of snarkiness is not suffered lightly here.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey, WD, this is just a chat on the food and drink forum of a local web board. Your opinion of your own chicken expertise is obviously very important to you, but no one else is obligated to be as impressed by it as you are.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu May 19, 2016 9:55 pm

I don't think WDBarr is the snarkiest on this thread by a long shot.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Hey, WD, this is just a chat on the food and drink forum of a local web board. Your opinion of your own chicken expertise is obviously very important to you, but no one else is obligated to be as impressed by it as you are.

Just to lighten up the thread....

"chicken expertise"....here is a question for the  expert butcher of chickens.
When killing chickens by chopping their heads off, how many headless chickens could you get on the ground running around at one time before the first one dropped?  With a lot of experience and sometimes money on the line, I can give you a definitive answer.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Fri May 20, 2016 12:24 am

slainte39 wrote:
When killing chickens by chopping their heads off, how many headless chickens could you get on the ground running around at one time before the first one dropped?
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next