INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapala parking meters

5 posters

Go down

Chapala parking meters Empty Chapala parking meters

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 am

An article on the front page of Guadalajara Reporter tells of the mayor and city council voting to install parking meters in Chapala centro within the next 3 months which brings a few issues to mind.

1. Currently most of the side street parking that will be metered is sucked up by residents since very few homes are built with garages and most properties are built out to the sidewalk. So where are these mostly low income residents going to park and how can they afford 6 pesos hr./48 pesos day/1,000 pesos mo.?

2. The rest of the Monday through Friday street parking is taken up by city employees and shop owners leaving very few extra spaces.

3. The police also jockey each morning for parking close to the station and those spaces are few and far between. Some of these guys drive in from Ixlawhatevercon and most are posted far from the station leaving them no opportunity to feed the meters.

Things are going to get interesting in Chapala, soon. Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Chapala parking meters Empty Re: Chapala parking meters

Post by simpsca Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

Absolutely, I thought the same thing. Of all the towns (other than out west like SJC) Chapala is the poorest and can afford expensive parking the least. I think it will put a dent in the business in Chapala and hurt the shop keepers and restaurants. And 6 pesos per hour - I don't know anywhere in Mexico that parking meters are that expensive. Even Tlaquepaque is cheaper!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:37 pm

It sounds like they didn't think that one through at all. scratch Lizzy

Who knows how a governmental organization makes its' decisions?

I have often thought that our Salida City Council left their collective brains in a jar as a prerequisite to taking the oath of office. Suspect Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:54 pm

My guess is the vendor putting the machines in is paying for everything and will make a profit along with the city and that is why the price is so high.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 pm

I doubt the parking meter plan will work but supposing it does can Ajijic be far behind? scratch
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 pm

simpsca wrote:My guess is the vendor putting the machines in is paying for everything and will make a profit along with the city and that is why the price is so high.

I think that is definitely a valid deduction on your part, Simsca... I might hazard the guess that this "vendor" is gonna find some or all of his machines disabled in short order by a disgruntled population... probably in the middle of the night. The police will probably turn a blind eye. flag waver ¡Viva México! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 pm

IMHO, what the town needs is a parking garage, paying by the hour the old fashioned way, with an attendant. Ajijic just got one near the Plaza. Don't know how that's working out, but when parking becomes impossible, the garages are a blessing. Even San Miguel put in a paid parking garage to ease the misery.

Meters are almost a self-destruct system.

Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:22 pm

With people not paying, the fines collected can be more than the profits from the meters!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 pm

A parking garage...Hmmm... Great Idea!
Speaking of which... I seem to remember a rumor a couple or three years ago that they were going to build a parking garage under Ramon Corona!
It sounds like wishful thinking and too much Beer Beer, but it doesn't sound too much weirder than the meters... Rolling Eyes Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down