INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors.

+10
RichD
oncesubtle
Zedinmexico
Twonk
zenwoodle
ferret
Flamingo
CanuckBob
Carry Bean
Nosnow
14 posters

Go down

Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors. Empty Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors.

Post by Nosnow Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Found a cute little envelope on my doorstep this morning, courtesy of the garbage collectors.

Question; What's the usual amount to put in the envelope, I'm clueless, don't want to get on the

wrong side of these hard-working guys.

Nosnow
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors. Empty Re: Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors.

Post by Carry Bean Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Some people give nothing, others give 200 pesos, others more. I give 500 pesos as it's such terrible work.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors. Empty Re: Christmas bonus for the garbage collectors.

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

I give $200.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Ask a few of your neighbors how much they give. It also depends on how often they go by your house.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 pm

[quote="Flamingo"]Ask a few of your neighbors how much they give. It also depends on how often they go by your house.[/quote

Not really sure why either of these factors should come into play. You still have the same amount of garbage whether they pick it up three days a week or six days a week. The amount of garbage your neighbour puts out may be three times more than yours.
Whatever... I give 500 pesos in an envelope to the driver. It's an awful job and even worse in the heat of the summer.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:46 pm

200 Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Twonk Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Yes it is an awful job, and they are only paid 1250 pesos a week which is currently $61 USD. Not much to support a family on, so its a good time to be generous.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:32 am

200 and a case of beer. All the ice water they want including giving the old truck water during the year. Its a miserable job but they handle it with cheer.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:40 am

That's a beauty Zed. You must be one of their favorite customers. Good on ya.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:33 am

I just moved here and have taken the trash to the curb as I was told I should. The truck blasts it horn as it passes, but the my place is four houses down from the gate to the privada. In other words, they do not know me or have access to my doorstep.

While I am a tight SOB, I do like to pass around a few pesos to those that serve me and the public. Doing so would require me to listen for the loud horn and scurry down the street to approach the driver or wait in the street. Should i give this year?
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:36 am

Yep!

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:58 am

I installed one of those swinging oil drums to hold trash. They leave me an envelope for the tip so on trash day I stick a sign on the drum, "Por favor, toca el timbre" since I'm behind walls and don't always hear them coming.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:00 am

Yes, you should.

While we think of that job as being extremely distasteful, I can assure you Mexican laborers don't think of it that way. I just had a conversation recently with a couple of guys that would love to have that job. I've had the same 3 happy energetic guys for the six years I've been in this place in SAT, so apparently they don't quit.

Why is it so desirable? It's working for the ayuntamiento so that means IMSS for the worker and family. While their salaries may not be much by our standards, they have many more perks. They get tips! They are the first in line when something good gets thrown away and they can keep it or sell it. They get to keep the money they get for recycling things. And all along their routes businesses and people give them refrescos and food. This is what the guys told me.

I asked them a few months ago to help me find a vacant house for a friend and they did. They got a 500 peso reward.

Last edited by Trailrunner on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:10 am

And they get to deal with used toilet paper. Shocked

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:09 am

Trailrunner wrote:Yes, you should.

While we think of that job as being extremely distasteful, I can assure you Mexican laborers don't think of it that way. I just had a conversation recently with a couple of guys that would love to have that job. I've had the same 3 happy energetic guys for the six years I've been in this place in SAT, so apparently they don't quit.

Why is it so desirable? It's working for the ayuntamiento so that means IMSS for the worker and family. While their salaries may not be much by our standards, they have many more perks. They get tips! They are the first in line when something good gets thrown away and they can keep it or sell it. They get to keep the money they get for recycling things. And all along their routes businesses and people give them refrescos and food. This is what the guys told me.

I asked them a few months ago to help me find a vacant house for a friend and they did. They got a 500 peso reward.

I agree. The same crew has been in my garbage truck for the 4 years I have been at this location. They always seem quite happy. I have put some good stuff out there for them. Regardless, I still tip them as I do all my regular service providers (water delivery guys, etc.).

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 am

RichD wrote:I just moved here and have taken the trash to the curb as I was told I should. The truck blasts it horn as it passes, but the my place is four houses down from the gate to the privada. In other words, they do not know me or have access to my doorstep.

While I am a tight SOB, I do like to pass around a few pesos to those that serve me and the public. Doing so would require me to listen for the loud horn and scurry down the street to approach the driver or wait in the street. Should i give this year?

Since you are newly arrived, just consider it, and tell them it's an "anticipo", instead of a propina.  They'll know and understand what you mean and get you started off on a good foot.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:04 pm

It is always good to tip workers at Christmas. It is not just the money, it is the respect and recognition. So even if you can't give much, give something.

The first year our new garbage crew was on duty at our small condo enclave, I forgot them, and then ran out and gave them 200 p., said "Feliz Navidad" and they were thrilled. They do not get much respect, so everything counts.

Of course, now that they have discovered that I am the one responsible for all the redeemable rinsed empty beer cans and bottles, neatly bagged, they think I am God's gift to man.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down