INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Live a Long Life

5 posters

Go down

How to Live a Long Life  Empty How to Live a Long Life

Post by Kiri Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:03 am

https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_pinker_the_secret_to_living_longer_may_be_your_social_life?utm_campaign=tedspread--b&utm_content=talk&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare&utm_term=science
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How to Live a Long Life  Empty Re: How to Live a Long Life

Post by gringal Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:37 am

Excellent TED talk; makes perfect sense.

I belong to a local book club that meets monthly.  First, there's lunch at a member's house on a rotating basis.  This is followed by having each member talk about what's been happening in their lives during the past month, for about 5 minutes.  Then, on to a discussion about the book selection for the month.  I always feel energized after these meetings.  I do agree that face to face social interaction is good for your body as well as your mind.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Considering we are in the midst of a major flu epidemic, I don't think this advice is good at all. This new flu is different, it is not spread by droplets, but rather a fine mist which can travel a considerable distance.

Also meditation and yoga have also been proven to enhance longevity
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:28 pm

It seems to me that the underlying effector here would be stress reduction, which is not particularly earth shattering, but she is selling a book.

If you want to live longer, there is no need for chakras, crystals, vibrations, pyramids, feng shui, colonic irrigation, homeopathy, reike, traditional-this, faith-that, or prayer. For most of us, eating well and going outside for a walk is all that’s required. ...unless there’s genetic issues, but if you’re reading this, that’s a bullet likely already dodged.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Yes, I agree Itollefs.

If you want to live a long, healthy, and happy life. . .hopefully, start with good genes, don't get fat, avoid excessive alcohol, don't smoke cigarettes, exercise regularly, have a good social life, don't get addicted to substances or drugs, keep a positive attitude and outlook on life, avoid hospitals and chemical medications unless absolutely necessary, eat a healthy diet - mostly plants, and move to Mexico! hah
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:07 pm

All true, but it seems that some folks can't find peace or comfort without a belief system that places power beyond their own in a mystical source.  That's what religion is all about.  It's what they lean on in times of stress.
If they think this is all there is, and it's not so good for them, then "pie in the sky bye and bye" works; the anticipation of something better after death.
For me, this one life has been good enough.  No need for mystics.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Good suggestion, allow me to add another point . . . Protect your own mental health and avoid toxic people.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down