INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southshore eateries

3 posters

Go down

Southshore eateries Empty Southshore eateries

Post by PoCo2012 Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Daniel, the proprietor of El Paisanos in San Luis Soyatlan has been sprucing up his place lately.
Directly on your right of the first tope as you come into SLS, he serves an AWEsome BBQ chicken, camerones coctel (shrimp cocktail), tostadas marlin (my personal fave) and many other items we need to try but can't because we love our favourites.
The family has stepped up their game, installed TVs to take in sports events (sadly, we missed the World Cup events) and enriched the menu and bar inventory. If you like wine, I advise, bring your own...they will gladly bring you a stemmed wine glass.
If you haven't strolled over to "our" side of the lake since the demise of the ferry; come on over. The south side is booming.
mariachi
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Southshore eateries Empty Re: Southshore eateries

Post by Carry Bean Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Has anyone taken over the small hotel that had the good restaurant? I used to like that place. I wish the ferry would start up again. It made for a nice day out.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Los Crotos was, indeed a lovely little B&B.  Arturo and Pablo went to San Francisco to family. The house has been sold to a family and is now a private residence.
The little ferry could not make a living...foreigners were not interested in a small village with no "artsy" shopping. One trip was enough.  The ferry owner (I have forgotten his name, lo siento) perhaps could have something of a regular passing for the workers traveling across to work (for better pay), but that wasn't part of the plan.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 am

Too bad about the ferry. Los Crotos makes a very nice home. There’s plenty of artsy shopping on the north side of the lake. Maybe if the ferry could have held on longer it would have caught on but coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn’t put beans in the pot. I made that trip a few times. Others missed out.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 am

"The Southside is booming." . . . In what ways, PoCo?

I know that little restaurant, delightful spot with a cool off-lake breeze in the dry season. Good to hear it has good food again. Could you post hours and days of operation? Worth a trip, sounds like.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 am

The little ferry was, indeed, a nice ride.  When the lake level dropped in 2013 he couldn't keep it running.  TR - We see lots of new housing and many under construction in and around SLS...the "Glen Yarborough" property has been sold and is now an evento salon. Pemex and Oxxo are a few years old now (quite a marvel when they arrived-we knew we had "made it" then). The drive through SLS has always been quite a challenge and now, particularly on weekends, it can take 20 minutes or more to get through town. Commercial traffic doesn't even try on weekends. They/we are still waiting for the by-pass. Yesterday, a Tuesday, was as busy as we would see on a Saturday a few years ago.  There's almost always a line up at Oscar's famous vampiro stand, which has been spruced up as well. There is a new roof-top patio across the street from Oscar's. We haven't been up there, so I don't know if they serve food or only drinks. We noticed yesterday a new restaurant's sign out front announcing they are serving breakfast.
As far as I know, Paisanos is open every day...about 9AM to 7ish...I will find out for sure.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:27 am

Cool, thanks Poco.

I always bypass Centro SLS by driving along the lake. So pretty and pleasant.

I'll look forward to your confirmation, guess they are serving breakfast in the morning then. Is Daniel the guy who used to have the little place across from the tire shop then later the pollo asado grill?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 am

Paisanos is open every day from 10AM to 7PM, a bit later on weekends. Phone number is 33 26 12 49 87.  Daniel speaks good English.
The drive around on the malecon has changed a lot lately too.  And gotten a lot busier.
Yes, Daniel and his family own Paisanos, across from the tire shop, to the right of the first tope, the same place you are thinking of.  The farmacia next door to the tire shop went out of business.  It is now a Modelarama.
Daniel's BBQ chicken is legendary.  
The restaurant to the west of Paisanos has opened and closed several times over the past few years. The newest rendition is serving breakfast.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks, PoCo, look forward to eating and visiting there again. Good guy, Daniel.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down