INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Tip in Mexico

+10
M&M
bobnliz
johninajijic
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
simpsca
gringal
Parker
hockables
Chapalagringa
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How To Tip in Mexico Empty How To Tip in Mexico

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Or should I say not tip?

This blog writer has absurd tips on tipping!
http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.com/

Tipping: round up a few pesos for street food take out, leave 10% for table service. At places patronized exclusively by gringos 15% may be appropriate, but as with gross over-compensation of domestic help (a major issue at Lakeside) seeming generosity creates a whole host of unintended consequences, distorting the economy and severely reducing much needed incentives for local to become educated and have a variety of job options. Please don't over-tip.

I had the privilege of sitting at the table with a generous tipper last week in Mazamitla. We received excellent, attentive service and a special order not on the menu. Rather than charging us for every item separately on the special order it was actually the least expensive entry on our bill. La Troje doesn't normally serve enchiladas but they made a generous plate for a guest. Our waiter was tipped 20% and his expression was priceless. He was so grateful and was so thankful for the generous tip. My husband told the tipper that it was probably the largest tip he'd ever received and we were all blessed to have witnessed it.

I think if someone has the means and is generous, then let them be generous when they want to. Telling people to "please don't over tip" is ridiculous! What comes around goes around. Sure wouldn't want to be in blogger's shoes...perhaps why he's now
our late model mobile on its own land. we aspire to be "high class trailer trash" Shocked
While generous tipper, um, well, I can't say.

severely reducing much needed incentives for local to become educated and have a variety of job options
Definitely is blogger's opinion.
I just reduced my maid's hours with the same pay. She's working faster, getting the same amount of work done, plus freeing us up 3 hours a week! Worth every peso.

* http://caffeinatedcalm.blogspot.com/
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

How To Tip in Mexico Empty Re: How To Tip in Mexico

Post by hockables Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

i tip according to my mood... mood that might very well be brought on by service associated with the meal i just paid for...

the most absurb thing i have ever encountered was the 15% gratuity automatically tacked on by an establishment in the menue...

no surprise these places often provide the worst service imaginable... and why wouldn't they... they couldn't give a shit what you think... you've already paid the tip!!

well exactly that happened in vegas... and i refused to pay the 15%.. they made a big deal about it at first... but after i showed my willingness to express myself... let me see... what was it i said... oh right... i said... as audible as possible without shouting...

" the service here stinks... you can shove the tip up your ass"

apparently the service there left me in a foul mood!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:Or should I say not tip?

This blog writer has absurd tips on tipping!
http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.com/

Tipping: round up a few pesos for street food take out, leave 10% for table service. At places patronized exclusively by gringos 15% may be appropriate, but as with gross over-compensation of domestic help (a major issue at Lakeside) seeming generosity creates a whole host of unintended consequences, distorting the economy and severely reducing much needed incentives for local to become educated and have a variety of job options. Please don't over-tip.

I had the privilege of sitting at the table with a generous tipper last week in Mazamitla. We received excellent, attentive service and a special order not on the menu. Rather than charging us for every item separately on the special order it was actually the least expensive entry on our bill. La Troje doesn't normally serve enchiladas but they made a generous plate for a guest. Our waiter was tipped 20% and his expression was priceless. He was so grateful and was so thankful for the generous tip. My husband told the tipper that it was probably the largest tip he'd ever received and we were all blessed to have witnessed it.

I think if someone has the means and is generous, then let them be generous when they want to. Telling people to "please don't over tip" is ridiculous! What comes around goes around. Sure wouldn't want to be in blogger's shoes...perhaps why he's now
our late model mobile on its own land. we aspire to be "high class trailer trash" Shocked
While generous tipper, um, well, I can't say.

severely reducing much needed incentives for local to become educated and have a variety of job options
Definitely is blogger's opinion.
I just reduced my maid's hours with the same pay. She's working faster, getting the same amount of work done, plus freeing us up 3 hours a week! Worth every peso.

* http://caffeinatedcalm.blogspot.com/

I agree with you 100%. Now if you truly can’t afford it, don’t do it, that’s just plain stupid, but don’t put-down those that do. I don’t of know of any other profession where giving the best isn’t rewarded in some fashion. I believe those that use this reasoning are just “cheap”.

Please read about Steve Jobs, CEO, Apple and education.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 am

We normally tip 15% at the "gringo joints". Sometimes 10% if its a light lunch with one course.

Anything less is being cheap. If you can't afford a decent tip, maybe staying home is a more prudent option.

Let's be real. Shorting the waiters isn't going to motivate them to become more highly educated. In fact, higher levels of education doesn't necessarily mean high pay hereabouts. The good waiters are happy to have those jobs, especially if the customers aren't cheap. Beats hell out of washing cars or hauling bricks.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 am

hockables wrote:i tip according to my mood... mood that might very well be brought on by service associated with the meal i just paid for...

the most absurb thing i have ever encountered was the 15% gratuity automatically tacked on by an establishment in the menue...

no surprise these places often provide the worst service imaginable... and why wouldn't they... they couldn't give a shit what you think... you've already paid the tip!!

well exactly that happened in vegas... and i refused to pay the 15%.. they made a big deal about it at first... but after i showed my willingness to express myself... let me see... what was it i said... oh right... i said... as audible as possible without shouting...

" the service here stinks... you can shove the tip up your ass"

apparently the service there left me in a foul mood!!

Hockables, Which restaurant is adding an automatic 15% tip. If I've been there I didn't notice.

There is a great disparity in tipping here. I was with an upper class Mexican woman friend and we had lunch. I tipped 15% and she was horrified. She told me this is how we tip here, and then put down a few coins those worth less than a peso, plus just a few more pesos. I still tip around 15% unless I'm really unhappy.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Automatic tipping is something I`ve found mostly in US...sorry ... just pisses me off... and I believe breaks away from what tipping is all about... not a Mexican thing at all... just me straying and venting... caused by combination of ADS & Mad Cow...

Most Mexican establishments impress me...from the service , to the prep...

Small things that rarely stand out mainly because they are done and done right...

Hand washed dishes and probably polished dinnerware, things like the Iced Tea ( prepared the day before and refridgerated ... that ain`t no powder mix )

Attentive people who check to see if everything is alright and are hovering nearby to see that it is....

nope... no complaints...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:39 pm

simpsca, We have poor tipping Mexican friends too but often, you get what you pay for. Don't we all know poor tipping gringos as well? Some waiters realize that expats will tip for good service and will bring out the whole restaurant & dance on their head for you, if they want that tip. :) We've also eaten at plenty of places that received plenty of constructive criticism in both the US & Mexico.

Went went to a Six Flags in Kansas City many years ago. Went to eat at a Denny's type restaurant late that night after a full day at the theme park and had an African American waitress. It was unbeknownst to us that us whities were not welcome there. When I kindly asked for some butter, the waitress returned with a cup size scoop and slammed it on the table. We've never been treated so badly. When you travel allot, those that give good service are commended because they're far and few in between. I will remark to them what great service they're providing when we get a goodin.

Our experience at the two Italianni's over the last week were like night and day. I wanted our guests to experience the Italianni's in Galarias. We had a marvelous time. Monday, the zoo was closed and I drew a big blank. We should have gone to Andares mall for thai food...but no one could think of what to do in place of the zoo. I wanted our guests to see La Gran Plaza, since we go there often. I could tell my guests didn't really want fast food, so we gave Italianni's there another try. Even our guests said the waitress was asleep. It's not just her but we've had the same service the other 2 or 3 times we've dined there. They're easily distracted, hole up, chat and lol in the kitchen as a group. They wait until your main entry is ready to bring out your soups and salads. Maybe that's a way to save on money but it's bad service. There's no room on the table for the main entry and it's cold by the time you get to it. I don't plan on returning there again. Italianni's in Galaraias is hoppin!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Yes, you are right. I belong to a women's luncheon group and sat next to a woman that didn't tip at all. I was really shocked because she has plenty of money.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:11 pm

years back, while still in high school, I worked in a steak house style restaurant...
tables were served by bus personel, waiter, and a cocktail waitress...
Tipps in this establishment were always good and a people would comment how everyone was so pleasant and happy....

we were STONED How To Tip in Mexico 169387

gosh darned it... I wandered again

Last edited by hockables on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:18 pm

There's a moral in there somewhere, Hock..........but I'm not sure what.
How To Tip in Mexico 169387

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

gringal wrote:There's a moral in there somewhere, Hock..........but I'm not sure what.
How To Tip in Mexico 169387

tranquilo service Very Happy
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

A really timely subject in view of our experience last night in San Miguel de Allende! For a pre-dinner drink, we decided to visit the newer Rosewood Hotel and the Luna Rooftop Bar. TRAVEL and LEISURE magazine recently named the Luna Bar one of the top 10 rooftop bars in the world. Now, I will grant you that the Rosewood has earned a 5 star rating and one could only expect that the prices were commensurate with such a rating. The best price I found on a room there was $280USD per night and decided that was above our pay grade. Margaritas were $110MXN but high on our quality scale. Slideshow of the view: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/ROSEWOODHOTELLUNAROOFTOPBARSANMIGUELDeALLENDE?authkey=Gv1sRgCNHDmNP4lMHeDQ#slideshow/5645277033371099138

Following this very pleasant experience, we ended up at the Pueblo Viejo Restaurant. Initial visual of the restaurant was quite attractive. We then discovered that there was a table of 16 Tejanos apparently celebrating a wedding. Every single one of them could have qualified as the subject for the book, THE UGLY AMERICAN! The waiters had taken on an attitude of rudeness. We ordered and received a meal that qualified as one of the two worst we have experienced in ten plus years of traveling in Mexico. Decided on a 10% tip based upon the rudeness of the wait staff and food quality.

Just as we were leaving, the party of 16 was in the settle up process. Kathy and I overheard one of the idiots say: "we don't need to calculate a tip because it is included in Mexico". As soon as I heard that comment, I started a slow burn but Kathy chimed in: ""Y'all need to understand that the tip isn't included!" Good thing that she said something as my comments would have been much harsher! Then again, there were 8 males and while most were not the "bigger is better variety" normally found in Texas, I might have found myself in a difficult situation simply due to the numbers. When we spot people behaving like this, we are ashamed to be even viewed as Americans!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:00 pm

hockables wrote:.we were STONED How To Tip in Mexico 169387

gosh darned it... I wandered again

I think you meant "We are stoned"................
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:34 pm

yuri - Yeah for your wifes comments. Those ahole Americans make us good ones look bad.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:38 pm

hockables wrote:Attentive people who check to see if everything is alright and are hovering nearby to see that it is....

nope... no complaints...

I gotta tell ya, Hock... I just hate it when a waiter or waitress "hovers" over our table and asks if "everything is alright" every 5 minutes.
A good waiter scans the room every minute or so in order that the guest can catch his or her eye. If he or she is paying attention they will know when they are needed. Lizzy How To Tip in Mexico 169387
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm

bobnliz wrote:
hockables wrote:Attentive people who check to see if everything is alright and are hovering nearby to see that it is....

nope... no complaints...

I gotta tell ya, Hock... I just hate it when a waiter or waitress "hovers" over our table and asks if "everything is alright" every 5 minutes.
A good waiter scans the room every minute or so in order that the guest can catch his or her eye. If he or she is paying attention they will know when they are needed. Lizzy How To Tip in Mexico 169387

That is almost as annoying as being ignored. Customer service is all about good timing.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:23 am

[quote="bobnliz"]

nope... no complaints...

A good waiter scans the room every minute or so in order that the guest can catch his or her eye. If he or she is paying attention they will know when they are needed. Lizzy :16

************************************************************************************************

But if done right,, u hardly notice.. and as u're done your plate or meal during the course of conversation.... the plates gone....

I wasn't talking about the guy who does the obligtory pass-by to see how everything is...usually with your face full of food.......

they are fufilling company policy and couldn't give a shit if U were choking on what U were eating...

just say'n is all
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:03 am

You are absolutely correct there....
And how about the jerk who asks, "Would you like to have grilled mushrooms with your steaks?" but forgets to mention that it does not come with the meal and you are going to be charged an extra $5 if you accept.
That really tics me off... it's downright deceptive. How To Tip in Mexico 850219 Phooey! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:03 am

Speaking of tipping, this morning the garbage pick-up personal were ringing their bell, like they do at Christmas for a tip. Does anyone know what’s up? Thanks

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by M&M Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:09 am

In most other cities in Mexico the bell ringin is the signal that you should take out the garbage, you get fined if you bring it before the bell may be they are starting to follow the rest of the country..

M&M

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:16 am

I assume they don't want it out early to keep the vermin away?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:25 am

Re: How To Tip in Mexico
by hockables Yesterday at 12:14 pm

Automatic tipping is something I`ve found mostly in US...sorry ... just pisses me off

TIPS
TO INSURE PROMPT SERVICE

Also, waiters, waitress's and bartenders in many states are paid 1/2 of minimum wage and as a rule only are allowed to work 3-4 days per week. There are no insurance benefit's either...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now in when I am in Mexico, waiter's waitress;s and bartender;s receive no pay or insurance. They work strictly for TIPS. The way I look at it, is when in hoity toity establishment, I tip according to the service if the service outstanding 25%, mediocre 10%, worst service possible 5%..As a side note if the chef did an outstanding job he/she get's 15% tip for a small party. A large party of 6 to 26+, I tip the chef 20%..

When I frequent taco stands, cendurias juice stands, and least but not last before... I leave for NOB, I give them a tip as according to quality of service provided and take in with consideration the quality of the food served.. Let me say they make out quite well..

On the issue of maid and gardening service, I am rural and pay what what the local going rate is. Also I pay the bus fare and tip them for the job well done again, at the end of my stay. I also have loyal workers that have been with me for the long haul. My maid get's paid extra for ironing and sewing or anything else that is considered not part of the regular cleaning.

As for my gardener, the above applies to him as well.

While I am at it let's address hairdresser's: Perfect hair cut for me. US around $2. My wife's color and cut $7. Her manicure and pedicure $5.

When I am at a PEMEX and they clean my windows and lights, $2..

Taxis, 2 people $2.

God forbid but when I fly, I tip per piece, $1, more if heavy...Also, I tip some more should I need help with directions or a tip on a good place to eat when in unfamiliar surrounding areas.

espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:48 am

espritu del lago wrote;

“Now in when I am in Mexico, waiter's waitress;s and bartender;s receive no pay or insurance.”

I didn’t know this. Now I have to agree with “Gringal” if you can’t afford to TIP, perhaps you should stay home. Your taking up space where a “Tipper” might sit.
You can read this any way you want. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:48 am

It's true of many dining establishments in Mexico but not all...best to ask to make sure.

There are also some gas attendants who work only for tips...and the packers in grocery stores.

It's definitely not cast in stone one way or the other.

Don't take a bad meal out on the waiter/waitress if the service you received was good. That requires a chat with the owner and/or chef. Depending on the outcome, you'll either go back or never darken their doorstep again...but at least they'll know why.

I'm hunting for the list of "Why Customers Leave"....
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:58 am

Why Customrs Quit

1% Die

3% Move away

5% Other friendships

9% Competitive reasons

14% Product dissatisfaction

68% Quit because of an attitude of indifference toward the customer by some employee
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next