INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disel car?

+9
WillieRae
Kiri
Jreboll
Trailrunner
RVGRINGO
rvanparys
CanuckBob
lakeside7
Canada_Mike
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Disel car? Empty Disel car?

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a diesel car, a Nissan X-Trail. I've never owned diesel. Are there any things I should take into consideration?
Cheers,

Michael
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Disel car? Empty Re: Disel car?

Post by lakeside7 Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 pm

The quality of diesel fuel is very important....unless you are driving high mileage I do not think you will recoup your extra outlay....most vehicles are that bit more noisy...filling up can be "stinky" experience....lastly why do you think you want a diesel? thinking or hauling a boat or trailer??...service cost can be very high if you have a problem with the pump or injectors.

I have just noticed you are from Toronto..the serve cold could give you starting problems

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 am

Yep, I agree with lakeside7. Also diesel is not as readily available throughout Mexico as it is up north. I understand the diesel available here is very dirty.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 am

Thanks.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 am

Having had a Mercedes diesel in the past, I can say that clean fuel is not only important but critical... The cost of replacing injectors or pump problems can be prohibitive... My dos centavos.

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am

Having had diesel boats, cars, SUVs and motorhomes, I simply made it a habit to add a water seperator, and extra Racor Fuel Filter to the system. Never had a problem. All pilots know to check the airplane's water separator before each flight, and those are generally gasoline engines. In flying or sailing, mistakes or equipment failures are generally fatal. I did my best to avoid them.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:49 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Having had diesel boats, cars, SUVs and motorhomes, I simply made it a habit to add a water seperator, and extra Racor Fuel Filter to the system. Never had a problem. All pilots know to check the airplane's water separator before each flight, and those are generally gasoline engines. In flying or sailing, mistakes or equipment failures are generally fatal. I did my best to avoid them.

Why have the complication that comes with a Diesel.... unless you have a special needs?? are you seriously suggesting that drivers check the water separator before each journey!!
Compared to the top line GM or Ford models, the Mercedes is a very expensive status rattle trap.... and when it comes to filling up at truck stops, you have to have a pair of plastic gloves and extra strength to handle the very large pump nozzles..ugh stinky things

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 am

Yeah I think I would go electric before I would go diesel.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 am

Yes! I vote you get electric before diesel too!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:41 am

Umteen years ago my neighbor bought a brand new Chevrolet diesel sedan.  He had problems from the get-go, one after the other.  Dealer could never fix it right.  Finally he just got rid of it.  He said, “never again”.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:50 am

It was GM diesels that ruined the market in the USA. They really screwed up!  On the other hand, VW and Cummins diesels were extremely reliable and economical on fuel; perfect for long trips, especially in the motorhome, which had a 1000 mile maximum range on on fill-up. By the way, there is no need to use messy truck stops. Auto stations have diesel pumps with small nozzles, which are perfectly clean. Look for the green pumps. Admitedly, up front cost for a diesel is more, but over time, they are more economical, by far. Why do you suppose commercial trucks are almost exclusively diesel? They clock up a million miles very quickly. Yes, diesel engines last a lot longer, too.
But, now that I can no longer drive, I will just go ride my electric trike. I don't even have to pedal the thing!

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 am

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjY8PyL9q7gAhULKqwKHTsGBfsQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.express.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fworld%2F1042832%2Fdiesel-cars-ban-germany-cologne-bonn-vehicles-pollution-eu-angela-merkel&psig=AOvVaw3rH4z0Vb7ctnyzZv6I_kH3&ust=1549811020381871
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 am

Yes, there is that problem with older diesels. New ones, however, use DEF systems to reduce the problem.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 am

As it turns out, the car is not diesel. Just the north models are. Interesting discussion anyway.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:50 am

Have been thinking about purchasing a Peugeot Teepee model but they are all now diesel...so after reading all this, I'm having 2nd thoughts. Any input?

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Doesn't Peugeot translate to "Prepare to Push it" in English..LOL

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:55 pm

It is a choice between 50mpg or 30mpg vs the amount of driving you will do with that car. You will have to do the $ math.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Well our current car is a bit over 2 yrs old and has just under 6000 km on it.

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Nissan March is rated at 59 mpg hwy. I get approximately 47 mpg locally.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:It was GM diesels that ruined the market in the USA. They really screwed up!  On the other hand, VW and Cummins diesels were extremely reliable and economical on fuel; perfect for long trips, especially in the motorhome, which had a 1000 mile maximum range on on fill-up. By the way, there is no need to use messy truck stops. Auto stations have diesel pumps with small nozzles, which are perfectly clean. Look for the green pumps. Admitedly, up front cost for a diesel is more, but over time, they are more economical, by far. Why do you suppose commercial trucks are almost exclusively diesel? They clock up a million miles very quickly. Yes, diesel engines last a lot longer, too.
But, now that I can no longer drive, I will just go ride my electric trike. I don't even have to pedal the thing!

You are comparing apples and oranges when you mention VW and Cummins.....you have a short memory if you have forgotten the cheating done by VW to met the US emission standards and now the ongoing questionable exhaust from any diesel car...most of the US built cars before all the emissions stuff, got over a million miles, the bodies would rust before the engine packed up and much of the advantage was based on the price of fuel

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 pm

We had a peugeot diesel, that was a true lemon..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:08 am

Dad had a Mercedes turbo diesel, purchased new in the 70s. It was a fine car and kept on run and running and with great acceleration once the RPM was up.

Although I couldn't afford one, that was a great choice for Dad.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:27 am

Brigette, was that a recent model?

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 am

My VW diesels were all in the 1980s, and my Kubota marine diesel experience was even earlier. In the late 90s, we had a motorhome with a Freightliner chassis and Cummins diesel. Yes, lots of assortment, but all were very dependable and economical for their purposes.
I am aware of the current changes in both diesel technology, and the pollution concerns causing those improvements. No argument there. It is the owner's application and use of his vehicle that should dictate his choice. If he is a typical commuter, he will choose something quite different than one who needs torque, power, and longevity coupled with long engine life and fuel economy.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 am

It was when I bought it..There are plenty of good peugeot in Europe but why would you get one in Mexico where you will have few dealers ... then I bet you the parts cost you plenty and then ou will have to wait to get them. I have a Mazda and there is only a dealer in Tuxtla and when a bus ran into me I had to wait a month to get the parts
In France diesel was popular because diesel was cheaper , and the engine lasted longer. Diesel here is more than regular.
At least Nissan is very popular here so that will not be a problem.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum