INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Computer person

Go down

Computer person Empty Computer person

Post by cypress on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:01 am

My computer guru, Rick Gonzalez, died. I need someone to replace him. Does anyone have recommendations?

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Computer person Empty Re: Computer person

Post by CanuckBob on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 am

Helperguy, on this forum does computer repairs and maintenance, etc.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:46 am

Have used Computer Guy for years. Nice guy, reasonable prices, always has solved the problem, doesn't talk down to me, shows up when scheduled.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 am

Helper Guy and Computer Guy are one and the same. Send him a PM. He is HG on this forum.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:32 am

Mike Reilly (aka ComputerGuy and HelperGuy) is punctual, efficient, knows his stuff, charges reasonably and will direct you elsewhere if he can't do it. Now, that last statement was a screen problem that needed replacing but I wanted to know for sure that I had to replace it and I trust him. He's always been able to help.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 am

Just talked to Mike for the first time last night. Free helpful advice over the phone.

He's developing his expertise in the whole ilox/fiber arena so he should be in demand as the fiber continues to roll out.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Computer person Empty computer help

Post by twelveoaks on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:59 am

cypress wrote:My computer guru, Rick Gonzalez, died. I need someone to replace him. Does anyone have recommendations?

Mike Riley ( Ajijic Computing) has done all of our computer problem solving for several years. He does excellent work and his prices are very reasonable.

Phone:765 4156

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Yes, I have dealt with MIke Riley. When he worked on my computer part of it was related to the genealogy files I had on two different families. I could see that he certainly knew what he was doing. But I was puzzled that one of my genealogy files I had completely disappeared and the other was no longer in the same program I was used to. So today I have been asking some genealogy (including PAF) message boards what was the problem and I was given this answer. "Hi John,

Your problem isn’t really the Windows version, just the old genealogy program that you have. I’m not familiar with PAF but most programs are basically the same. Near the top of the screen click on the word “File”. Under that there will be an option to “Export”. From there you can choose to save your file as a Gedcom file (.ged) which can then be read by whatever new genealogy program you decide to use. The only drawback is that Gedcoms are text only so if you have any pictures in your old program you will have to transfer them manually. If you have any questions, let me know."
So I should have not have been relying on retrieving my data from a memory stick but from Gedcom files that I should have created. Mike did spend time digging up some other genealogy programs that could accept my data but they were strange and incomplete to me.
So the problem was not the Windows version but how I had saved it. Funny thing was I did end up finding my main genealogy file in the original version and I've bee using it ever since.
I had no idea that my genealogy program (PAF from the Mormon church) was essentially discontinued.
As I get older I get dumber.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Not really. It's tough keeping up with changes in the computer world. How many times have you thought "I'll upgrade"... a printer or other peripheral, or a program or an operating system and then find out something is not compatible with it. Yup. Been there, done that. Now I'm a chronic package reader to make sure things are either compatible or forward compatible or backwards compatible (like USB 3 ports will still accept USB 2 gadgets). I used to have some wonderful programs for making brochures that I was very comfortable with... of no use with an upgraded operating system. Computer person 851398
C'est la vie.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:46 pm

I remember laughing at the old out of touch Farts 50 years ago when I was so smart.

I think of Bob Dylan's line

"But I was so much older then.

I'm younger than that now."

SunFan

SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 am

ferret wrote:Not really. It's tough keeping up with changes in the computer world. How many times have you thought "I'll upgrade"... a printer or other peripheral, or a program or an operating system and then find out something is not compatible with it. Yup. Been there, done that. Now I'm a chronic package reader to make sure things are either compatible or forward compatible or backwards compatible (like USB 3 ports will still accept USB 2 gadgets). I used to have some wonderful programs for making brochures that I was very comfortable with... of no use with an upgraded operating system. Computer person 851398
C'est la vie.

Designed obsolescence. Apple doesn't have 191 different types of power adapter for nothing.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down