INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No more plastic bags

+24
borderreiver
little italy
espíritu del lago
WillieRae
Cincy
RickS
RVGRINGO
ComputerGuy
Rosa Venus
Carry Bean
Lucky Girl
suegarn
MexicoPete
ferret
solajijic
cypress
SunFan
sm1mex
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
Wide Sky
kipissippi
gringal
CanuckBob
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

No more plastic bags - Page 2 Empty Re: No more plastic bags

Post by solajijic Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 am

My world health warrior eldest daughter has pointed this unintended consequences out to me before about her Tesla, the beverage straw bans and the bags. She says it is all psycho-social to make people feel better about their efforts. Similar to recycling efforts and birth control programs it is just making the first world feel better. Nothing wrong with that.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:55 am

That article left me wondering whether to laugh or cry. So much for trying to be a virtuous save-the-planet citizen. It seems that the planet is doomed, no matter what efforts are made to save it.
Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:46 am

I agree. I also believe it's too little too late. Way too late. Glad I'm old.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am

According to this article, when discussing impact on the environment, you'd have to use a plastic bag 20,000 times to equal the impact caused by making a single cotton bag.

https://qz.com/1585027/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-cotton-totes-might-be-worse-than-plastic/
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:51 am

Yep. However, I will continue to use my bags. As the article says, it makes me feel better. Sigh.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am

By creating the phrase "single use plastic", the powers taht be have hit upon a wonderful marketing catchphrase. It truly means nothing to me. It's like replacing all the incandescent bulbs with CF bulbs... reports tell us that if every single bulb was replaced, we wouldn't have enough impact to even notice it. And look at the crappy results of having CF bulbs. So: straws, plastic bags, etc... almost zero impact except they don't end up in the oceans, where the chain of life continues to be destroyed. Okay, that makes the plastic bag thing worthwhile.

The trouble is, no one came up with an alternative before storming ahead with these laws. Everyone in the universe, known and unknown, makes use of these plastic bags by putting their garbage in them. Then they put those bags in big Glad garbage bags, that are purchased with only one thought in mind: to be thrown out. Talk about a stupid chain of life. So now what do I put my garbage in... you know, the garbage that is full of plastic packaging from tomatos, USB memory sticks, veggies from the store, pre-packed "baby" carrots, roasted chicken, and on and on and on. NO PROBLEM: just go to the store and buy more Glad bags, all sizes. Or go to the various stores around here that sell plastic bags by the kilo.

See how it's just not ready for prime time? Chaps me.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am

But, but, we DO have to be more mindful of the world that we leave behind for Betty White and Keith Richards. Right?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 pm

This may spark a return of the household subscription to the daily newspaper, thereby providing work for kids in the pre-dawn hours on neighborhood roads. Soon, the forest will all have been converted to pulp and the Chinese will prosper, manufacturing electric trikes for all those new paper-carriers. Meanwhile, the rising tides will flood the seacoast states, forcing the population to the mountainsides, where the forests used to grow.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 pm

RV took an extra dose of his.... feigned sarcasm enhancer this morning. flag waver

RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:07 pm

HelperGuy wrote:By creating the phrase "single use plastic", the powers taht be have hit upon a wonderful marketing catchphrase. It truly means nothing to me. It's like replacing all the incandescent bulbs with CF bulbs... reports tell us that if every single bulb was replaced, we wouldn't have enough impact to even notice it. And look at the crappy results of having CF bulbs. So: straws, plastic bags, etc... almost zero impact except they don't end up in the oceans, where the chain of life continues to be destroyed. Okay, that makes the plastic bag thing worthwhile.

The trouble is, no one came up with an alternative before storming ahead with these laws. Everyone in the universe, known and unknown, makes use of these plastic bags by putting their garbage in them. Then they put those bags in big Glad garbage bags, that are purchased with only one thought in mind: to be thrown out. Talk about a stupid chain of life. So now what do I put my garbage in... you know, the garbage that is full of plastic packaging from tomatos, USB memory sticks, veggies from the store, pre-packed "baby" carrots, roasted chicken, and on and on and on. NO PROBLEM: just go to the store and buy more Glad bags, all sizes. Or go to the various stores around here that sell plastic bags by the kilo.

See how it's just not ready for prime time? Chaps me.

I switched my whole property to Led lights. Expensive but very low power needed and the last for many years and I.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes, and all good, but my point was what a screw up the whole CF bulb "sudden attack of integrity and understanding of the need for greening" that various governments put everyone through, without considering the consequences, and without really doing the research. (Much like Brexiteers.) The same low-brow thinking has led to the same circumstance with bags.

Now we can afford LEDs, and soon they will be even cheaper... they are almost free in Korea and China where we import from. But it's been years getting here. The single-use theory puts us right in the same position, only worse.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:53 pm

In the UK, back in 1983 (36 years ago!) my wife and I used to shop at ASDA, a big food supermarket retailer, which now belongs to Walmart.  There was no plastic or paper grocery bags back then.  People placed all their purchased items back in the cart and wheeled it out to their car.  Or, some folks bought large orange plastic "cart liners" with sturdy handles that clipped onto the sides of the cart.  It took 2 people to lift a full load!  The old folk loaded up their wheelie bags at the cash till and took them on the bus home.

We took those giant orange plastic bags with us when we emigrated to Cincinnati in 1988 but people stared and laughed at us.  It's funny how good ideas take a generation or more to finally sink in. It had nothing to do with being "Green"

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Soriana is still using plastic bags.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:13 pm

cypress wrote:Soriana is still using plastic bags.

They are biodegradable plastic. Walmart could do the same but it’s cheaper to not supply bags at all.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:34 pm

I don't have a problem paying for bags that are biodegradable... because then I'll put my garbage in them and it will happily decompose wherever it goes. I don't even mind Walmart charging a peso profit on the bag. This is a win/win scenario IF the bags are better than the other shitty bags that were full of holes before you even got them home so you couldn't even reuse them even if you wanted to.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 pm

The Soriana bags are better than their old ones.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Do the biodegradable bags need sunlight to break down?

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:26 pm

It seems to depend entirely on the bag. Sigh. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Back to cloth bags.
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/bioplastics.html
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 am

Trailrunner wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yes, we have about 10 of the cloth bags but remembering to take them is my problem........

You have to adopt the mindset that the bags live in the cars. Not the house. Divide the bags up and put them in the cars. Then the trick is to put them back in the cars after emptying them! Soon it'll become habit. Or not. . . Beer

Exactly TR that's what I've done. I also keep the insulated bags for the cold stuff but you have to clean them with a mild bleach solution,  wipe out because of meat juice when it leaks.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:15 am

Xxxx

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sorry double post)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:20 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:
cypress wrote:Soriana is still using plastic bags.

They are biodegradable plastic. Walmart could do the same but it’s cheaper to not supply bags at all.
 I like the way Aldi's  does it they sell paper the old fashioned  kind for .8 cent, the heavy duty plastic totes for .10 cent and the heavy duty insulated ones for .89 cent or use their boxes like Costco or bring your own. 

It's a win, win.

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 am

Soriana's bags are made of 30% recycled material, according to the printing on the bags, and are "oxo-biodegradable" (https://www.interplas.com/oxo-biodegradable-plastic). They will degrade in 12 to 24 months when exposed to the environment. They are compostable and do not interfere with vegetable compost.

Soriana is a family-based outfit from Monterrey who for some reason feel it is better to offer biodegradable bags for customer service, at some expense, rather than just drop bags and baggers to save money and "do their part", like Walmart.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am

When you wear out a 'cloth bag', remember that most 'cloth' is now actually a plastic product, in whole or in part!

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:58 pm

solajijic wrote:The green Walmart bags seem to disintegrate and rip easily.  I just ordered two dozen canvas craft bags off Amazon.  One set of 12 for each vehicle.

i too ordered those canvas bags which are great. i have shared with my helpers and they are so happy...

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 11, 2019 4:13 pm

About a week ago Walmart went back to using plastic bags.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat May 11, 2019 5:58 pm

My Costco cooler bag doubles as my "carry on" luggage. Those suckers hold a ton and "such a deal".
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next