INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Notre Dame Cathedral burns...

+10
oncesubtle
WillieRae
Trailrunner
gringal
ferret
Carry Bean
brigitte
espíritu del lago
Canada_Mike
ltollefs
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Notre Dame Cathedral burns... Empty Notre Dame Cathedral burns...

Post by ltollefs Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/notre-dame-paris-cathedral-fire
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Notre Dame Cathedral burns... Empty Re: Notre Dame Cathedral burns...

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm

The next 90 minutes will determine if the shell can be saved. This is a horrible, horrible, tragic event.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/world/europe/notre-dame-fire.html?emc=edit_na_20190415&nl=breaking-news&nlid=81371679ing-news&ref=headline
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:23 am

That was just so sad.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:25 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2019/04/emotional-crowd-sings-hymn-while-watching-notre-dame-cathedral-burn.amp.html

Listen... get tissues
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 am

Well that's not it. There is a video where a bunch of Christians gathered and sang . I can't  find the video now.

If you go to Marius Mina FB page it's  there 

https://www.facebook.com/marius.mina

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 am

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/nation-world/french-billionaire-pledges-100-million-euros-to-help-rebuild-notre-dame/507-f9844850-d76a-4af7-8623-a58b2bc4066d

'French tycoon Bernard Arnault and his luxury goods group LVMH have pledged 200 million euros ($226 million) for the reconstruction of Notre Dame, following a reported 100 million-euro donation from another French billionaire, Francois-Henri Pinault'
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am

Do not cry for Notre Dame , it will be fixed and rebuilt. It is sad that so many beautiful carving , sculptures ae gone but it will survive and oneIt What was lost s bad but the cathedral will go on.. One great news is that no one was killed and that the firemen from Paris did not follow Trumps´s advice.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 am

Unfortunately I doubt they could replicate the beautiful stained glass that was lost.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

I'm going back to read the news but I thought I read, this morning, that the rose glass ceiling was preserved.
Anyway, I do think that the pattern of the stained glass can be replicated but it probably won't have the same light diffusing properties simply because of the way glass was made back then.

Yes, the rose glass ceiling was preserved...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/rose-windows-of-notre-dame-are-safe-but-fate-of-other-treasures-is-unclear/ar-BBVYcYb

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am

Oh good because I read last night it was lost.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

Found this:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/notre-dame-fire-destroyed-saved_n_5cb5849ee4b0ffefe3b5fa66

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:51 am

s a shame but they can come up with wonderful modern ones as well. The cathedral took 200 years to be built, it was added on n the 19th century so it is a living monument and various generations add to it. It may look weird to us at this time but in a few hundred years only the experts will see it..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

gringal wrote:Found this:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/notre-dame-fire-destroyed-saved_n_5cb5849ee4b0ffefe3b5fa66

How lucky so many statues had been removed before the fire.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

They can duplicate the glass, I think only one colour cannot be duplicated , There are school of artisans that teach artisans the old way, in Europe. There is such a school close to the cathedral but I am not sure duplicating things is the way to go..
There were so many beautiful things inside that I have a feeling most of it will never be seen again. They had really nice wooden pulpits and those I am afraid are gone. There are plans, photos etc of everything so they can copy many of them..it will take years... It would be interesting to see what they will do.. unfortunately I do not think I will still be alive when they finish it.. it will be a 20 year project and by then I will not feel like gong there even if I am alive.. The church needed 40 millions dollars or euros to be revamped so now it is their opportunity. Many of the gargoyles and statues on the roof were made in the 19th century when the church went through a major remodeling.. they added gothic touched as Gothic was fashionable then, so they just as well add 21st century touches.. at this point.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:25 pm

I've seen news reports listing wealthy people coming forward to help restore Notre Dame. Also reports of relics and statues that were rescued.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/notre-dame-fire-crown-of-thorns-christs-relics-saved-2019-4
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Anyone who would like to be part of this historic rebuilding can use this url.
https://www.gouvernement.fr/rebatirnotredame
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm

I personally feel that the French government of their milion/billionaires should step up for the rebuild. And what about the very wealthy church???
Money could be better spent on helping Flint or Puerto Rico....IMHO only.

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Amen
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:30 pm

WillieRae wrote:I personally feel that the French government of their milion/billionaires should step up for the rebuild.  And what about the very wealthy church???
Money could be better spent on helping Flint or Puerto Rico....IMHO only.

The church does not own the cathedral. It is owned by the cultural commission which allows the church to hold services in it. Large corporations are donating big bucks to move things along so this major tourist attraction will be rebuilt faster. Then there will be the big economic boost of reopening. Why would a French business spend money on helping Flint or Puerto Rico when the U.S. government does not give a shit? As for individuals, it is their money and none of anyone else’s business how they spend it. IMHO, of course.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 pm

The government owns all churches in France since the revolution and the government will rebuild with the help of all the donations from the poor to the very rich.
Well said Lady Otter..

Yes it is a large tourist attraction and it is also a very important historical monument in France. All roads are measured from there. Under the cathedral is an ancient temple. The island was where the Parisis lived, it is the heart of Paris and before that Lutecia and before that the land of the Parisis.. there is no chance the cathedral will not be fixed.. Do not worry about it.. it has been there for 850 years and it will be rebuilt.

Why would you bring up Puerto Rico?? It is France and when Martinique or Guadalupe get damaged by hurricane France fix it, The IS should be ashamed of what happened in Puerto Rico , not a good subject to bring up.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 am

I was speaking to individuals donations.....charity begins at home.

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:11 am

WillieRae wrote:I was speaking to individuals donations.....charity begins at home.

It was unclear that you were speaking only to individual donations when you said, “I personally feel that the French government of their milion/billionaires should step up for the rebuild. And what about the very wealthy church???”
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 am

There are a couple of points about making a private donation to ND. First of all, my modest donation in no way precludes my making other donations to other causes. Secondly, I often give to foreign charities when tragedy strikes. That they are not my countrymen does not loom large with me. I have donated in response to floods and typhoons, none of which we have in Canada. Yes, I give to Canadian causes, e.g., the Humboldt crash tragedy and the Toronto Star Christmas and summer camp funds. Some are at home and many are not.

I have been to the Notre Dame Cathedral several times on different trips, and have stood in awe of its magnificence and been struck by the work and craftsmanship it embodies. I know that the very wealthy corporations are laying out hundreds of thousands of euros, and that my €100 will not make much of a difference, unless a few thousand regular folk like my wife and I all help. The bottom line is that we wanted to feel involved in the rebuilding, so that when we go again, or our grandchildren go, they can they can feel a part of it.

But that's just us.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Interesting point about the glass. Glass is always in a plastic state. Ancient glass is thicker on the bottom than the top because of gravity. That is why a replaced piece stands out as odd. 52 acres of Oak trees used in building that roof, many of the beams were carved from full trees. I think they are going to have to adopt a different material. I have seen many old buildings, such as the Marine building in Vancouver, or the Empress hotel in Victoria, which appear to be wood, but they are actually painted plaster over steel. Similarly, in many places in Europe, what looks like marble is not. The French and the Italians were masters of this art.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm

I grew up in Paris and went to the Sorbonne so I passed Notre Dame everyday at least a couple of times a day sometimes more.. It never was my favorite building, I was way more attracted to Sainte Chapelle but everyone has their favorite site and this building is the top landmark in Paris soI do not see why foreigners cannot feel attached to it or want to donate for its rebuilding. As Mike said it is all part of feeling involved and I think that is wonderful. Yes the rich will donate a whole lot but all the smaller donations add up to a lot as well and it is part of the spirit of the building. Thousands of little people made that building.. yes the church or the kings and the court probably donated a ton of money but so did all the people who contributed in building it and that is the spirit of the building from the smallest to the largest donation count. Thanks Canada Mike for contributing.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next