INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico?

+21
Smartalex
kamcd
court0503
MexicoPete
Frijoles
CHILLIN
brigitte
Jreboll
Trailrunner
slainte39
Rosa Venus
phxfunguy
JayBear
ohhappyday
KJUNGal
Problem Child
rvanparys
ferret
gringal
Carry Bean
CanuckBob
25 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico? - Page 3 Empty Re: What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico?

Post by court0503 Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 pm

I underestimated the relentlessness of thefts....anything not nailed down! (Actually even things nailed down are susceptible)

court0503

Back to top Go down

What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico? - Page 3 Empty Re: What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico?

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 pm

And that is typical of any poverty stricken country with poor policing and corrupt officials. Heck it's even typical in some areas in the large cities NOB.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by kamcd Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Agree. 

I also underestimated the amount of DUST/POLVO I would learn to live with!
Love it here but the dust is not so fun (I am allergic to dust.) It's only been 4 years, I am adjusting.

kamcd

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Wed May 08, 2019 9:45 pm

CanuckBob wrote:And that is typical of any poverty stricken country with poor policing and corrupt officials. Heck it's even typical in some areas in the large cities NOB.
The upside is you can leave things you don’t need outside your gate and someone will pick it up. One way to recycle. “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by phxfunguy Wed May 08, 2019 10:05 pm

I love curbside recycling. If something still works partially, I leave a note explaining the problem as to why I'm giving it away so they can tinker with it. I've been able to slim down my household to only the things I use this way. It's such a freeing feeling to move "stuff" out of your life at this stage. The good stuff I give to my housekeeper or at least she gets first choice...she's never turned me down.
phxfunguy
phxfunguy

Humor : Dual witted (Gemini)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 pm

kamcd wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Agree. 

I also underestimated the amount of DUST/POLVO I would learn to live with!
Love it here but the dust is not so fun (I am allergic to dust.) It's only been 4 years, I am adjusting.

It's the most incredible kind of dust too! Almost microscopic, but I can feel it all over.  In my hair, teeth, nose, even eyelashes. Gets in the drawers, CD player, everywhere nowhere is safe from the Mexican dust. This year is worse. I'm allergic to it too.

You know what they say . . .When the dust of Mexico . . . . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 am

I share a lot of the same impressions...

The dust season seems a lot worse than usual this year and i'm taking a lot more antihistamine than ever. It used to rain once in a while between rainy seasons, which would settle the dust a bit. It doesn't do that anymore. This may be a consequence of global warming and changing weather patterns. Climate science has long predicted that climates would intensify as the planet warms...dry seasons would become drier and wet seasons would see stronger storms. Won't be surprised if this intense dry season is followed by an intense rainy season. 

And I also have a problem with what someone referred to as the "relentless" thievery. It reminds me of the Victorian England portrayed in Dickens' Oliver Twist, with a veritable army of thieves and pickpockets on the loose. Yes, the spirit of Fagin survives in the hearts and minds of many Mexicans. I agree with CBob that this darker side of Mexican culture is poverty-driven...just like it was back in Dickens' day. I've even learned to live with it as a fact of life here in Mexico...you have to.

Like a few others in this discussion, it took a lot longer to learn the language than I thought it would. At first, I thought my communication problems with the locals were due to my poor Spanish, only to realize over time it was their poor Spanish. After 10 years here, I have learned the local dialect and seldom use the good Castilian I learned in school. But, alas, I seemed to have lost that distinctive California Spanish accent I learned growing up on the streets of L.A.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 am

phxfunguy wrote:I love curbside recycling.  If something still works partially, I leave a note explaining the problem as to why I'm giving it away so they can tinker with it.  I've been able to slim down my household to only the things I use this way.  It's such a freeing feeling to move "stuff" out of your life at this stage.  The good stuff I give to my housekeeper or at least she gets first choice...she's never turned me down.
Once I was at the curb with my trash waiting for the garbage truck when a neighbor comes by and asks if he can go through my trash. I said “sure”. He takes out two cooking pans that I was throwing away and walks away with them. Left me speechless.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 09, 2019 7:47 am

I haven't put anything out that wasn't taken within an hour. When we first purchaed our house they actaully had shag carpet in the bedroom. I tore it out and placed it on the curb. It was moldy and rotten yet still taken in short time. I asked my contractor why would someone take that. He said it's better than having a dirt floor. That really stuck with me.....

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 am

I think you're right, Alex. I bet this rainy season is going to be a doozy.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 09, 2019 9:15 am

Which will being us back to the lake level and potential flooding thread......lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 09, 2019 9:19 am

My currently under way pool renovation isn't helping with the dust problem.

What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico? - Page 3 Img_2045

After removing all the tiles they have to grind off all the old morter down to the cement.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu May 09, 2019 10:02 am

If you know people with dirt floor you should tell them the government will build them a piso firme... I have yet to visit a house in Chiapas that has a dirt floor and God knows I have been in many and often in very remote areas..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 09, 2019 10:37 am

CBOB: You are hereby awarded the BAD GUY medal for the neighborhood.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 09, 2019 12:53 pm

That's the rep I'm going for. Keeps those LCS people from parking in my "no parking" spots.....lol.

Our maid has a bit of dusting to do. She enjoys the extra employment.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 09, 2019 12:58 pm

brigitte wrote:If you know people with dirt floor you should tell them the government will build them a piso firme... I have yet to visit a house in Chiapas that has a dirt floor and God knows I have been in many and often in very remote areas..

This was 7 years ago. I guess my contractor knew a few with dirt floors.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 am

What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico? - Page 3 Dust10
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 am

I also underestimated the demand for short term vacation rentals in my area. I get people booking 2 years in advance for January, February and March. Unbelievable. I also heard from several real estate agents that the Canadian buyers have dried up due to the crappy exchange rate which is putting further pressure on the long term rentals.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am

Au contraire Senior Bob. According to a local well known realtor, the boom is still going... He is a hustler which probably makes the difference. There are a lot of order takers out there in real estate...

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 10, 2019 11:06 am

Yep and it is primarily Americans. I know 4 real estate agents and they all concur that the CDN has dropped off.

Maybe your guy is hustling you...….. Beer

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10, 2019 8:16 pm

I didn't underestimate anything but I never knew how handsome the Guanatos were till I arrived.  And the babies and toddlers are cuter too, and smart.  Which isn't unusual in places with high-density populations; more complexity, more mental development. Same same everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Guanatos? Please help me understand.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

What did you underestimate when moving FT to Mexico? - Page 3 Empty people still coming - mountainside village house with dynamite view on market May 20

Post by solajijic Sat May 11, 2019 9:15 am

CanuckBob wrote:I also underestimated the demand for short term vacation rentals in my area. I get people booking 2 years in advance for January, February and March. Unbelievable. I also heard from several real estate agents that the Canadian buyers have dried up due to the crappy exchange rate which is putting further pressure on the long term rentals.

It is quite astonishing and I am fielding calls for Nov-March 2021 and rainy season 2021. No Canadians at this point just US and some quite open about wanting reservations in place for Nov 2020 to not be in the US. Everything we rented has been sold off in the past 4 years in anticipation of another downturn in the next year. We will still rent our own space more often. NoB duties call for more visits.

One house left to sell, brand new everything, top of Encarcion Rosas. 2B/2B on market May 20 at $292,000 classic expat mexican village look great tile, garage with auto door, no misquitos or flies that high, charming and all the bells and whistles. Lock and leave. Extremely safe. Dynamite view to Mt. Garcia and to the mountains with no chance of building nearby blocking it.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 11, 2019 9:43 am

I think prices have already peaked out and are in a holding pattern. Don't know about a downturn unless the economy crashes again in the US. Of course that would devalue the USD and bring the Canadian buyers back to the table......IMO.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 am

SunFan wrote:Guanatos? Please help me understand.

SunFan

It's a nickname for Guadalajara, or in this case, Guadalajarans. And yes, there is a lot of eye candy in that city.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
SunFan wrote:Guanatos? Please help me understand.

SunFan

It's a nickname for Guadalajara, or in this case, Guadalajarans. And yes, there is a lot of eye candy in that city.

I thought people from Guadalajara were known as 'tapatios'?

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next