INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Moon becoming El Sombrero

+4
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
SunshineyDay
NoVaDamer
8 posters

Go down

Blue Moon becoming El Sombrero Empty Blue Moon becoming El Sombrero

Post by NoVaDamer Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:47 pm

I talked to Carlos the other day, and he told me he & Gosha (of Gosha's) have taken over the location of the old Blue Moon bar. It has soft opened, and will eventually change names to El Sombrero. They will have a Tex-Mex menu, although they will be experimenting with different things for now, so go, try them out, and let them know what you liked. I have attached the menu as it is now. I believe they will keep music one night a week.
Attachments
Blue Moon becoming El Sombrero Attachment
menu1.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(393 Kb) Downloaded 54 times
menu2.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(305 Kb) Downloaded 39 times
menu3.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(276 Kb) Downloaded 45 times
NoVaDamer
NoVaDamer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Si!

Back to top Go down

Blue Moon becoming El Sombrero Empty Re: Blue Moon becoming El Sombrero

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 pm

Location?? Been here almost 10 years and never heard of it.
TIA

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:14 pm

Right beside El Barco on the caraterra in Ajijic.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am

What makes this menu TexMex?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Trailrunner wrote:What makes this menu TexMex?

Because the owner decided to call it that?
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm

lol
That's what I figured.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:14 pm

This area has the greatest number of Tex-Mex no shows that God could have ever imagined.  Don´t bother me as I don´t even know what it is but I suspect that the second, or in this case, the first coming won´t happen until there´s a Taco Bell franchise in the area.
Is there such a thing, reallÿ???  Is it all that good??? Do Mexicans really change their taste buds that much when they cross the Rio Bravo??? Or is this the same group of searchers that still believe in unicorns and dragons???
Fascinating, thought provoking, topic of an "Atlamtis" type of food.  In the meantime, I will stick with Jal-Mex until this manna from heaven arrives, and maybe I can be converted to the unknown…..along with a Jal-Mex Negra Modelo...... lol!

Or is there such a thing as Tex-Mex cerveza??? scratch

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Hmmmm.....hard shell tacos and mexi fries (tatertots). What's not to like. I love hard shell tacos.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:19 pm

slainte39 wrote:
Is there such a thing, reallÿ???  Is it all that good??? Do Mexicans really change their taste buds that much when they cross the Rio Bravo???

No, there is no such thing. It's just Mexican food that's been "Estadounidensized" for U.S. palates. The hard shell taco is a good example....Monterey Jack cheese...bla bla bla. The exact same food was all over California when I was growing up. Unlike the fine people of the Lone Star state we didn't find it necessary to appropriate it by calling it "Cal-Mex". We just called it "Mexican food".
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:28 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Hmmmm.....hard shell tacos and mexi fries (tatertots). What's not to like. I love hard shell tacos.

Put all your stuff on a tostada then, it´s a hard tortilla as I think that´s what you mean by a hard shell tacos (tortillas)
Mex fries/tatertots….never heard of them, or know what they are.  Anything like papas fritas or papas francéses?
Tostadas are easy to find anywhere, I especially like tostadas de ceviche.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
slainte39 wrote:
Is there such a thing, reallÿ???  Is it all that good??? Do Mexicans really change their taste buds that much when they cross the Rio Bravo???

No, there is no such thing. It's just Mexican food that's been "Estadounidensized" for U.S. palates. The hard shell taco is a good example....Monterey Jack cheese...bla bla bla. The exact same food was all over California when I was growing up. Unlike the fine people of the Lone Star state we didn't find it necessary to appropriate it by calling it "Cal-Mex". We just called it "Mexican food".

I get it, but are Mexicans and Mexican-Americans converted to this type of food. Most of the ones that I know that have lived in the US, or travel there a lot, ever mention Tex-Mex, or say they miss it, or say they wish it was here.
Just the opposite, I just had a bunch of family up north, and they said were glad to get back on the food score, as they missed the food here, up there.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Well, call me a heathen but I love hard shell tacos with ground beef seasoned with a lot of cumin with chopped onion, lettuce, tomatoes and shredded Cheddar that when you bite into them it all falls all over your shirt. In other words, Taco Bell style. It doesn’t mean I don’t love real Mexican tacos because I do. Just like there are hamburgers made out of ribeye or sirloin with truffles, etc. there are also White Castles. Love them both.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:17 pm

slainte39 wrote:I just had a bunch of family up north, and they said were glad to get back on the food score, as they missed the food here, up there.

Of course. People like the food they grew up with and are accustomed to eating. (See the success of Panino's or Superlake for gringo products.) Mexicans here do the same thing to "foreign food", adapting it to their liking. There's nothing wrong with doing that. Jalapeños on pizza or a Costco hot dog anyone? (It's good!)

P.S. I've never heard of the "Mex fries/tater tots" thing, so maybe that's authentic Tex-Mex.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Well, call me a heathen but I love hard shell tacos with ground beef seasoned with a lot of cumin with chopped onion, lettuce, tomatoes and shredded Cheddar that when you bite into them it all falls all over your shirt.

I like that stuff, too, so you can call me a heathen as well, although I can easily do without Taco Bell. And they certainly didn't invent the fried corn tortilla taco. They just butchered it and turned it into fast food that was cheap.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:37 pm

Tacos with chopped arrechera, onions, and lettuce, are available here, probably could find someplace that would make a tostada with all the ingredients that Carry mentioned.
For hard shell tacos here, there are lots of places that serve up "tacos dorado" which has a hard crispy tortilla covering.
Sounds like fine tuning more than any major difference and I suppose what gets offered  and served here is what the public demands and are willing to buy.
There are plenty of foreigners here that won´t even stop at a taco puesto because it´s "street food", so the taco venders have to depend on their "paying clientele".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down