INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any HAM radio aficionados out there?

+2
CanuckBob
Intercasa
6 posters

Go down

Any HAM radio aficionados out there? Empty Any HAM radio aficionados out there?

Post by Intercasa Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm

So... to not go too crazy I am trying new hobbies and bought some Baofeng UV9r radios, it's all greek to me but it is a fun project to learn about bands, frequencies, etc.

Would be fun to hook into a repeater and be able to chat from Chapala to Guadalajara, also to listen to police and emergency frequencies to see whats happening
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Any HAM radio aficionados out there? Empty Re: Any HAM radio aficionados out there?

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 am

I assume this is at your office cause you need a big tall antenna. No?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Any HAM radio aficionados out there? Empty Re: Any HAM radio aficionados out there?

Post by Intercasa Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 am

I will have one there and at home in Guad and office in Guad, there are repeaters that can be used, its all greek to me for now
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Riverman Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:26 am

I think Pete will be all over this, but, as another ham I know that you won't be able to use the ham repeaters until you are licensed, shouldn't be too hard to get for you.
The Baofeng radios are great but programming them is a steep learning curve.
Start at https://geekprepper.com/program-a-baofeng-radio-with-chirp/
I guess you know these are popular with "preppers" so google around there for more info.

John

Riverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks, anybody know police, Red Cross or fire frequencias to monitor?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am

Some 15 to 20 years ago, Telmex charged long distance to phone cities as close as San Juan Cosala or Joco from Ajijic. So many of us cheapskates' had hand held ham radios.

The hobby became so popular that we had a small one or two room building at the LCS assigned to the ham radio club.

However, once phoning long distance became free, the ham radio club died and those few of us who are still around probably still have our equipment. I still have my hand held shorwave radio, but sadly the battery is dead, and would not recharge

Very few of us were into communicating long distance with friends in the States or Canada. So most of us didn't have large antennas. And even if I did, I wouldn't remember what frequency to use for communications.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't remember didely squat about the good old days of ham radio.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Any HAM radio aficionados out there? Empty Spencer

Post by Warren Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:21 am

Rather than the PITA manual method of programming these handhelds I suggest you look at a free program called "CHIRP" which will give you all the info you need to hit local repeaters (probably must be within 5-10km for the Baofengs). You will need a programming cable from the radio to computer (From $5 to infinity from rip off places). In Canada a Basic Ham license can be had by writing a 100 question multi choice quiz ..... Mexico??? If you get interested a simple 1/4 wave ground plane antenna (easy peasy) will make mucho difference. The 2 meter & 70 cm FM ham bands here don't have a lot of traffic. The fire, police etc. bands are all encrypted now, at least here .... there??? Have fun, cheaply. Yes I have a few of the UV-5R models.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:52 pm

I have the cable and did upload more frequencies like FMS GRMS but also some marine which may not have been necessary, not sure if anybody knows repeater frequencies or other good ones to program in
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:48 pm

An ex business partner of my father was a ham radio operator. He had a huge tower, and claimed if a bird landed on it, it would be electrocuted. His fun was to pickup channels in the deep south, he liked the accent. He would tell people he was from Vancouver and was using a radio in his truck that he just bought from J.C. Penny. What a joker, just like my father.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Any HAM radio aficionados out there? Empty Repeater Freqs, Offsets & Tones

Post by Warren Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:06 pm

These are all easily found on line ... a quick search found 7 2meter repeaters in the area lakeside/Guad. BUT as mentioned previously you must have a Ham License to access them legally OR TRANSMIT ON ANY HAM BAND (2 meter = 144-148 MHz, 70 cm band= 430-440MHz in Mexico). I doubt a responsible Ham will give you meaningful help until you are licensed.
Also note that FRS & GMRS Mexican frequencies are not treated the same as NOB. Be forewarned RE out of band transmissions. See here for some info
HERE

VA6WLF.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:35 pm

I want to learn just to set up and have in case of an emergency. I would rather work out the kinks so as not to have issues when communication systems are down or there are problems or I am in a desolate area.

I have no need to transmit, except in emergency situations and would like to be able to monitor first responders in case it becomes necessary.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:51 pm

When it turns into a zombie apocalypse!!!

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 pm

You have got to admit Spencer that this sounds bad since you are an attorney. Sounds like a move Better Call Saul would use, show up at accident scenes even before first responders. I believe the media follow the police, medical lines, I don' t know if that is legal or not, or if they would tell you how if they did. Have you had a look at ccrane.com? I have bought world band radios and antennas from them.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 am

To the contrary, I dont do petty stuff and it would be to avoid areas where there are shootouts, accidents, etc.

Imagine being able to lower your odds of walking or driving into a shootout or knowing where there is a big pileup to find an alternate route.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down