INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

+7
CheenaGringo
johninajijic
oncesubtle
simpsca
Intercasa
Solovino
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th Empty Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Signs posted in the tianguis this morning stated that the tianguis will be closed next Wednesday. Vendors said the torch will be passing!!!!! Vendor also said that stores along the carretera would be closed but I can't say that is official. The Ajijic tianguis will be TUESDAY! Make note of that all you Ajijic buyers :)

I'm excited about the games and love all the improvements in preparation for it but I'm sooooooo dreading the traffic!!!! How long will they be out here, a few days? *fingers crossed*

Anyone with a link to watch the games online for free??????
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th Empty Re: Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

Post by Solovino Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm heading for the coast next week. If I don't need to put up with the hassle here in GDL then why should I? Thought about taking in a baseball game or two in Lagos de Moreno but changed my mind. They built a really nice new park. Hope baseball gets popular again in the region like it used to be.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th Empty Re: Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

Post by Intercasa Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm

This is soccer territory, baseball seems to be popular up north like basketball in the south.

It will be a mad house with all the traffic, etc. Fleeing the area might not be a bad idea, wish I could.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Intercasa wrote:This is soccer territory, baseball seems to be popular up north like basketball in the south.

It will be a mad house with all the traffic, etc. Fleeing the area might not be a bad idea, wish I could.

Actually baseball is big in Los Altos, hence the games being played there. And you haven't been around long enough to know the history of baseball here in Jalisco. Used to be a very popular. A lot of amateur and semi-pro teams. And the the Charros de Jalisco in the Liga Mexicana. They always had a good crowd at their ball games at the piece of crap Estádio Tecnológico. Cananea Reyes and Memo Garibay are legendary managers in Mexican baseball. Aurelio Rodríguez went from the Charros to the Major Leagues. Elrod Hendricks who later caught for the Orioles, played here. Fernando Valenzuela later in his career. Charley Kerfel who had played with Houston.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 am

Solovino wrote:
Intercasa wrote:This is soccer territory, baseball seems to be popular up north like basketball in the south.

Actually baseball is big in Los Altos, hence the games being played there. And you haven't been around long enough to know the history of baseball here in Jalisco. Used to be a very popular. A lot of amateur and semi-pro teams. And the the Charros de Jalisco in the Liga Mexicana. They always had a good crowd at their ball games at the piece of crap Estádio Tecnológico. Cananea Reyes and Memo Garibay are legendary managers in Mexican baseball. Aurelio Rodríguez went from the Charros to the Major Leagues. Elrod Hendricks who later caught for the Orioles, played here. Fernando Valenzuela later in his career. Charley Kerfel who had played with Houston.

This is half way off topic - I was told yesterday that someone in the Raquet Club will be getting baseball uniforms and equipment for the youngsters in San Juan Cosala. And that they will have training so they can play a decent game.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:50 am

We were shocked they built a new baseball stadium for the Pan America games. Not that Mexico doesn't ever play but it's popularity is no where near that of futbol!(accent needed).

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:59 am

Chapalagringa wrote:We were shocked they built a new baseball stadium for the Pan America games. Not that Mexico doesn't ever play but it's popularity is no where near that of futbol!(accent needed).

Well they had to build a new stadium in order to host the games. That is just part of the deal. But as my good buddy interasca says, baseball is very popular in the north of the country. And Mexico produces some really good ball players. Some are stars in the majors.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 am

simpsca wrote:
This is half way off topic - I was told yesterday that someone in the Raquet Club will be getting baseball uniforms and equipment for the youngsters in San Juan Cosala. And that they will have training so they can play a decent game.

How cool. I hope they get a good turn out of kids. Its a great game and with the climate here, they can play year round. Maybe there's a kid in SJC that will make it to pro ball. Ya never know.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 am

Well they had to build a new stadium in order to host the games. That is just part of the deal.

Going towards periferico sur and Colon, from Chapala, is a HUGE roundish stadium being built on the hillside. What is it for?????
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:00 am

Chapalagringa wrote:
Going towards periferico sur and Colon, from Chapala, is a HUGE roundish stadium being built on the hillside. What is it for?????

Jajajaja stadium? It is a new temple called "el Templo de los Martires" (Temple of the Martyrs).

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 am

simpsca wrote: This is half way off topic - I was told yesterday that someone in the Raquet Club will be getting baseball uniforms and equipment for the youngsters in San Juan Cosala. And that they will have training so they can play a decent game.

If this happens in San Juan Cosala I'd have to bet Augistine of Viva Mexico Restaurant fame is involved and if he is I'm sure it will be successful. Couple of questions simpsca, could you ask Augistine about the project and possibly track down the name and phone number of the coordinator in the Racquet Club? I ask because I think some of our snowbird guests would be happy to bring down some mitts and baseballs and stuff to help out with this fun proyecto.

Last edited by oncesubtle on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Old age)
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 am

Do you think traffic in Ajijic will be really bad next week? Worse than when North Americans are here?

Will the Pan American games be televised on US TV? If so what network?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 am

johninajijic wrote:Do you think traffic in Ajijic will be really bad next week? Worse than when North Americans are here?

The traffic is going to be horrendous! They're putting up check points in and out of here...when they have the water games out by Vista del Lago, there is scheduled to be a check point between Chapala & the waterpark, from what I understand. Cannot fathom how they'll control the flow of traffic in a timely manner being this is a HUGE world event! Hope to applaud later for great effort and efficiency. One can hope, right???

A few NOB will be a drop in the bucket. The nations will be here. They're expecting over a million visitors for this John. A million EXTRA!!! Where are they going to go? We're getting 1500 extra federales throughout the state of Jalisco. Better to get out the helicopter to get around.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 am

I heard they prebooked 70,000 rooms in Guadalajara for visitors. They built special housing for the players.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 am

70,000 rooms doesn't cover a million visitors. I wonder if some will be staying lakeside?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 am

From what I have read previously, there appears to be some confusion about the location of the three checkpoints. Previously announced: 1) between Ajijic and San Juan Cosala, 2) on the Guadalajara-Chapala Hwy between Ixtlahuacan and Chapala Haciendas, 3) east of Chapala out near Mezcala. These placements should pretty much cover the three major access highways.

As far as TV goes, it appears that Televisa and TV Azteca will carry certain events and Sky Mexico will have one channel dedicated to the Games. NOB, CBC will have extensive coverage and ESPN spotty coverage.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:35 pm

simpsca wrote:70,000 rooms doesn't cover a million visitors. I wonder if some will be staying lakeside?

I imagine the million visitors will be over the duration of the games, not all at once..........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:55 pm

I was just talking over lunch with one of the local restaurant owners who said he'd heard (oh boy, is this ever third hand!) that all the hotels and B&B's in Lakeside are filling up because there are no more vacancies in Guad. Apparently a lot of family members are coming for the games.
Sounds reasonable. Should be a real traffic nightmare.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Oh well, it's only a few weeks. Enjoy it while you can. The Olympics were a blast in Vancouver in 2010. Best party ever..........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Yes, that is what I expected would happen - lakeside takes the over-flow.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:52 pm

Helicopter flying around Chapala, is that you John, hehe

I don't think I'll ever leave my house for 3 weeks...not seriously but I wonder how the traffic will interrupt my sheshule??
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Depends on where you need to go.

Does the word "hibernation" strike anyone else as a plan? That's mine.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see some of the games in person.......but that's not in the realm of possibility.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:29 pm

gringal wrote:Depends on where you need to go.

Does the word "hibernation" strike anyone else as a plan? That's mine.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see some of the games in person.......but that's not in the realm of possibility.
flag waver

I hear ya! Hibernation would be a bit of a snore. Gardening, cooking, wrapping Christmas presents, painting, even laundry sounds more exciting than hibernation. Of course, I do know what you mean.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:08 pm

My son's girlfriend's mother rented their house in GDL to Televisa. Had to be for a lot.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Solovino wrote:My son's girlfriend's mother rented their house in GDL to Televisa. Had to be for a lot.

Love it!! Smart cookie she is! Very Happy

One of the things I adore about Mexico is how easy it is to connect with people. Being personable & everyone is important. Ok, yes, slightly exaggerated but a bit true in a sense.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next