INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh fruit

+6
BisbeeGal
mudgirl
Flamingo
brigitte
CanuckBob
kip
10 posters

Go down

Fresh fruit Empty Fresh fruit

Post by kip Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:32 pm

All these years I've been under the impression that because of the climate... fruit and veggies grew all year round Lakeside. What a shock when we drove around to the South Side and ....NOTHING! A FEW plants started...that was it. NOTHING being harvested. So all the fruits and veggies at the Tianguis are imported. No wonder the fruit I bought tasted the same as what I get here at home!!!!! Evidently, we've never come to Ajijic in the summer before!!

kip
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Fresh fruit Empty Re: Fresh fruit

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:54 pm

They don't grow fruit and vegetables on the south side. It is all berries as far as I know and even at that they probably grow two or 3 crops a year.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by kip Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:59 pm

CanuckBob wrote:They don't grow fruit and vegetables on the south side. It is all berries as far as I know and even at that they probably grow two or 3 crops a year.

By fruit....I meant berries. Just never been there before when there weren't kids running around selling them.

So where do the veggies and "fruit" usually come from?

kip
Share Holder
Share Holder

brigitte dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:14 pm

Berries from Driscoll are grown in Jocotepec but they have berries from all over the world, depending in which country you live. The berries here are all grown locally maybe some strawberries come from Michoacan as well. Driscoll exports a lot to the US and that is why they taste the same Very Happy Unless you go and buy at the tuesday market all fruit and veggies come from the abastos.. lots from all over tabasco, Puebla, Michoacan, Jalisco Chiapas etc..and the US and in the winter chile. Nothing changed from 20 years ago except for the berries.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kip Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:24 pm

brigitte wrote:Berries from Driscoll are grown in Jocotepec but they have berries from all over the world, depending in which country you live. The berries here are all grown locally maybe some strawberries come from Michoacan as well. Driscoll exports a lot to the US and that is why they taste the same Very Happy  Unless you go and buy at the tuesday market all fruit and veggies come from the abastos.. lots from all over tabasco, Puebla, Michoacan, Jalisco Chiapas  etc..and the US and in the winter chile. Nothing changed from 20 years ago except for the berries.

I know where the berries grow.... it's just that there is NOTHING going on over there right now. It mostly looks abandoned. We drove as far as Puerto Corona. (Used to really like it there.... now striking it off of possible places to live) It had the feel of abandonment to it. We didn't go all the way in...the road was that bad.

kip
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:27 pm

Maybe one of the farm went under. THey still grow berries over there, actually a whole lot more than they used to.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:12 am

August and September are the months when the new berry plants are put in and our fresh berries are back in late September and October. There are dozens of berry farms starting in Joco. Driscoll and Dole are the largest I believe. They grow strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

brigitte likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:11 am

kip wrote:All these years I've been under the impression that because of the climate... fruit and veggies grew all year round Lakeside.  

Fruit and veggies do not grow year round- they have a growing season in Mexico just as there is a growing season up north. It doesn't just have to do with climate, it also has to do with the number of daylight hours.

I grew a big veggie garden when I lived in Canada, and also falsely assumed I'd be able to grow round, but it doesn't work like that. I don't know about Lakeside, but where I live on the coast, you can't grow most veggies in the summer- it's too hot and wet. Lettuce and other greens bolt to seed really fast, and the hot wet summers create all sorts of molds.

I usually plant here in Nov./Dec, but the stuff gets a slow start because of the cold nights in the winter and the days not long enough. I have things to harvest and eat by late Feb, early March,and everything is pretty much finished by June/July.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 am

This easy to read chart shows exactly where and when Driscoll berries are grown all over the world including here in Central Mexico.  As you can see, July in Central Mexico isn't a 'growing' month.  

https://www.driscolls.com/about/our-practices/where-we-grow
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and brigitte like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:54 am

I guess the bottom line to Kip's query is that nothing has changed......lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

brigitte and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:48 am

That chart is for American consumption. As I sais before I was surprised to see driscoll In the French supermarlet showing That the rasberries In May came from Israel

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:51 am

That is right little has changed 20 years ago the fruit and veggies we're all from all over the world via the abastos and it is stilltjat way..One thing has changed, the grocery stores remover the rotten food and veggies faster now than they used to do .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:54 am

brigitte wrote:That chart is for American consumption. As I sais before I was surprised to see driscoll In the French supermarlet showing That the rasberries In May came from Israel

The chart shows the growing season in Central Mexico. It answers the OP's issue of not seeing a lot of action at the berry farms.

fyi, I bought blueberries earlier this month in Arizona and they were from Canada.

BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kip Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:30 am

brigitte wrote:Berries from Driscoll are grown in Jocotepec but they have berries from all over the world, depending in which country you live. The berries here are all grown locally maybe some strawberries come from Michoacan as well. Driscoll exports a lot to the US and that is why they taste the same Very Happy  Unless you go and buy at the tuesday market all fruit and veggies come from the abastos.. lots from all over tabasco, Puebla, Michoacan, Jalisco Chiapas  etc..and the US and in the winter chile. Nothing changed from 20 years ago except for the berries.

I saw raspberries everywhere....definitely not grown locally.

kip
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:59 am

Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and cherries at several fruterias in Joco mercado area. Also sold by sidewalk vendors. Variety comes and goes, usually mornings is the best time to look.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:13 pm

I don’t care where they come from, I love them all. Sure is a lot easier than picking blackberries on our weekend farm where you had to watch out for copperheads. Worth it for my Mom’s blackberry cobbler.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nolajoe Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:33 pm

Very helpful chart, BG. Thank you.

nolajoe

Back to top Go down

Post by kip Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:16 am

[quote="kiko"]Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and cherries at several fruterias in Joco mercado area.  Also sold by sidewalk vendors.  Variety comes and goes, usually mornings is the best time to look.[/quote

The cherries we bought in Joco were from....Washington.

kip
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:58 am

[quote
The cherries we bought in Joco were from....Washington.[/quote]
[/quote]

Cherries will nearly always be imported as are apples. Many fruit trees require "chill periods" to bear fruit. I'm not saying there aren't some microclimates in Mexico where they can be grown but not at any level of international exports.
https://savvygardening.com/fruit-trees-for-your-climate/

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

kip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kip Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:07 am

The point of my post was...not much is happening on the South Side... Raspberries aren't planted every year. If I remember right the fruit is on second year canes. The majority of the green houses are in tatters.

kip
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:54 am

kip wrote:The point of my post was...not much is happening on the South Side... Raspberries aren't planted every year.  If I remember right the fruit is on second year canes. The majority of the green houses are in tatters.

And the point of the chart is that there shouldn't be much happening on the South side.  This is NORMAL for July.

Maybe you didn't click to the link to chart I made available in in a previous post.

Here are pictures of the chart.  

Fresh fruit Straw_11

Fresh fruit Blue_i10

Fresh fruit Black_10

Fresh fruit Rasp_i10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:50 pm

Chiapas produces apples , pears and peaches as some areas get cold but no cherries..I do not think they ship them out either everything is for local consumption. If you want local buy in season and stick to fruit or veggies that grown in tropical climates.i

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down