INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

+8
Zedinmexico
johninajijic
SusieSunshine
raqueteer
gringal
espíritu del lago
hockables
hound dog
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch - Page 3 Empty Re: The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

Post by Solovino Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 am

hound dog wrote:Jim W.:

I am also fond of Japanese food, especially sushi but I, as you, would not eat sushi in Mexico since all the Mexican sushi I´ve tried, is to sushi as Taco Bell´s tacos are to tacos. I also believe sushi should be prepared by trained sushi chefs of which they have a few in Paris so we know of some fairly decent sushi places in that city which we make it a point to visit when there. Of course, since we are talking France here, it is damned expensive.

My little list of the ten best cuisines was meant to have some fun and, maybe, start a dialogue. Those were my favorite ten cuisines but, as we all know, taste is quite subjective. My comment about Mexican food was not a serious one. I am a big fan of Mexican food, especially when traditionally prepared. More about that when I have more time.

El chucho sarnoso has a history of making these kinds of remarks about the food here. While he now claims to be a big fan, he was once dead serious in his criticism. His transformation over the relatively short time he's spent here in Mexico somewhat fits the sentiment of the Mark Twain quote:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say now that he has lost some of the arrogance many newbies arrive with.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch - Page 3 Empty Re: The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Solovino wrote:
hound dog wrote:Jim prepared. More about that when I have more time.

El chucho sarnoso has a history of making these kinds of remarks about the food here. While he now claims to be a big fan, he was once dead serious in his criticism. His transformation over the relatively short time he's spent here in Mexico somewhat fits the sentiment of the Mark Twain quote:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say now that he has lost some of the arrogance many newbies arrive with.

A scabrous mongrel? After some ten years of what I consider to be an entertaining discourse with you surrounded by morons from Peoria, this is your description of The Dawg? I am deeply hurt. I have tried over the years to cause your limited brain akin to a third grader to function marginally by demanding of it some qualitative intellectual exercise and here, in 2011, you degrade me by presuming that I am on the same level as some Ajijic puntbrain from Wichita. Dawg is deeply offended.

However, I forgive you because you entertain The Dawg. If you were as boring as most around here, I would buy you an annual subsrciption to the Cedar Rapids Symphony Orchestra´s Ode To Spring which, as I understand it, goes on so long the oboe player dies of old age at mid-concert.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:

We're going to throw a taco together. Very Happy

Will it have the special taco seasoning?

Only if it's a ground beef taco. The seasoning is also excellent in albondigas and empanadas. It's multipropósito just so you know.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:50 pm

OK, go ahead and spit out this wonderful multi-use Betty Crocker ground beef taco/tapa/torta recipe.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Solovino wrote:OK, go ahead and spit out this wonderful multi-use Betty Crocker ground beef taco/tapa/torta recipe.

There are conditions attached to the sharing of this fine example of culinary wizardry.

First, you show me yours, then I'll show you mine. Got it?

Then, carefully read my treatise on the incredible value of seasoning for 1 kilo of ground beef, available at this link, in order to fully appreciate the benefits of such a gift to the cooking community. Once I am truly certain that you will be totally and utterly grateful for this and can demonstrate such gratitude in advance, I may be persuaded to divulge the ingredients. ;-)

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/f4-la-comida

Last edited by raqueteer on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:53 pm

OK, Dawg will oblige you:

One arrachera cut or flank steak or skirt steak cut into strips
*One cup of Colima style limes with seeds
*About a half cup of Spanish or Greek fruity extra virgin olive oil
*Lots of ground cumin
*Lots of leaf oregano
*Lots of Chile de Arbol or other piquante red chile.
*S&P
*As much mashed garlic colves as you can stand For Dawg that would be about 10 or more cloves.
* A bit or Worcestershire Sauce (Optional)

Marinate the steak strips in this stuff for maybe at least four hours

You wil want some small green onions, some cilantro, some Italian parsley and some tortillas whether corn or wheat according to your taste and then, maybe, come salsas your choosing.

So good you will not believe it.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 pm

raqueteer wrote:
Solovino wrote:OK, go ahead and spit out this wonderful multi-use Betty Crocker ground beef taco/tapa/torta recipe.

There are conditions attached to the sharing of this fine example of culinary wizardry.

Then, carefully read my treatise on the incredible value of seasoning for 1 kilo of ground beef, available at this link, in order to fully appreciate the benefits of such a gift to the cooking community. Once I am truly certain that you will be totally and utterly grateful for this and can demonstrate such gratitude in advance, I may be persuaded to divulge the ingredients. ;-)

Wait; I must know the ingredients. This is a given. I beg you, Taco Queen.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:14 pm

It just so happens that this very evening we will be having our version of carne asada with 25-30 guests. Arrachera, chorizo, chistorra and pork loin strips will be perfectly grilled over mesquite coals along with several different salsas in order to satsify the numerous different palates of our guests. I hope the 6 kilos of tortillas will be sufficient.

With plenty of ice cold chelas and various tequilas. Aguas frescas and soft drinks for the kids and teetotalers.

Last edited by Solovino on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I can attest to the Dawg's recipe since we have developed a slightly modified version to prepare arrachera here in NM. We have been forced to use flatiron steak as a substitute since the available skirt or flank is marginal. Our marinade contains papaya nectar and we marinade for a longer period of at least overnight.
[img]The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch - Page 3 Img_1910[/img]

Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/ARRACHERADINNER?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-KwY66u6LoRQ#5674234528228804594

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:33 pm

hound dog wrote:
raqueteer wrote:

Wait; I must know the ingredients. This is a given. I beg you, Taco Queen.

Since I am not as yet convinced that Solo is in full appreciation mode, I will at this time only divulge the ingredients to known friends at a soon to be determined time, as promised. One tiny hint, cumin plays a starring role.

Furthermore since Solo did not invite us to his party, hmmmm, reconsideration is seriously in order.

P.S. It's a fortunate thing that Solo is NOT a resident of Mountain Brook Alabama wouldn't you say.;-)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:37 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I can attest to the Dawg's recipe since we have developed a slightly modified version to prepare arrachera here in NM. We have been forced to use flatiron steak as a substitute since the available skirt or flank is marginal. Our marinade contains papaya nectar and we marinade for a longer period of at least overnight.
[img]The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch - Page 3 Img_1910[/img]

Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/ARRACHERADINNER?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-KwY66u6LoRQ#5674234528228804594

Papaya, how clever, looks good. Papaya enzymes are a wonderful meat tenderizer.

http://www.enzymedevelopment.com/html/applications/protein.html

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3