INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh Seafood

+16
simpsca
Rolly
David
Walter
hockables
Solovino
viajero
Parker
CheenaGringo
raqueteer
oncesubtle
Mainecoons
ferret
johninajijic
brigitte
hound dog
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fresh Seafood - Page 2 Empty Re: Fresh Seafood

Post by Mainecoons Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks for the good info Mrs. Dawg, Brigette. We thought we could trust the fishmonger, we've been buying exclusively from him for several years now.

John, after that gaffe I'd be too embarrased to show my face around here. LOL

Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 am

Pärker you are right about the polution and contamination but I have quit worrying about this one, I go for taste and cold water seafood is way superior. The Northwest and Northeast of the US has wonderful seafood.Way better than what we can get here even right on the sea.
This was the first of many fights I ever had with Dawg telling me the best seafood in the world was from the Gulf!
I won that one when I took him to a small restaurant stilts in Britany where they kept their seafood alive in the sea underneath the house.

Poor John always ready to step in it.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 am

johninajijic wrote:briggitte - Oh yeah, you're a foreigner here and know more about buying fish in Mexico than a Mexican whose been living here for 38 years. NOT!!!

You've been here 10 years. I doubt that too looking at your forum joining date.
John did I mention that there's a Long John Silver near that trailer in Barstow?
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 am

viajero wrote:
johninajijic wrote:briggitte - Oh yeah, you're a foreigner here and know more about buying fish in Mexico than a Mexican whose been living here for 38 years. NOT!!!

You've been here 10 years. I doubt that too looking at your forum joining date.
John did I mention that there's a Long John Silver near that trailer in Barstow?
Chris

John, just make sure you call ahead and give them a head's up when you go with your weekly dinner group.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:18 pm

brigitte - I apologize for my statement. Not knowing who you are and seeing a recent date joining the forum, I assumed way too much.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:13 pm

John,

Thank you you are forgiven.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

water temp at bay of fundy higher than normal

this years lobster harvest setting record numbers in maritimes

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 pm

hockables wrote:water temp at bay of fundy higher than normal

I thought Lobsters liked colder water like Maine.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 am

i thought so too... dunno.... just repeat'n what they said on tonites NEWS
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 am

The Bay of Fundy has the absolute best lobster and Digby scallops, bar none! We ship an enormous amount of lobster to France this time of year.

Hocks- you must have been listening to CBC.

This topic is not up for discussion. If you haven't tried them, then you just don't know. The best lobster I ever had, I could muster up the memory four days later and get a flavour flash. middle finger
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:42 am

Is´t the Bay of Fundy in the Northern part of the same bay as Maine?
Anyways everything is relative, I bet with all the temperature going up, I still would rather swim in Mexican waters than up there, unless I was a lobster...
I do not think lobsters care about the borders between Canada and the US.
Lobsters are parts of the holiday feats where you are supposed to start with seafood, oysters and then lobster and / or salmon (wild) and then and then .
I am not surprised they are exported to France as we eat a very large amount of shellfish in the winter.
I cannot tell the difference between fresh clams served in restaurants in Boston and those served in Paris but then I am not expert on the subject.
Talking about experts, I recently was in a restaurant on a small Atlantic island and this man came in and had to know where everything came from. He was bitching the oysters were not from the island but from an area 1 hour from there, then he had to have the butter from the cows that grazed in the salt marshes on the island and horror of horror the lobster had been caught 2 hours from there. He still had to pay 98 euros for his lobster.
That was his lunch, a bottle from an overpriced local vineyard a dozen of oysters and a lobster. His bill was over 150 euros and I think that included a discount...The waiter told me he came every day. ..working at being an expert is an expensive hobby in France.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 am

johninajijic wrote:
hockables wrote:water temp at bay of fundy higher than normal

I thought Lobsters liked colder water like Maine.

Apparently you don't know where the Bay of Fundy is.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

[img]Fresh Seafood - Page 2 John_t10[/img]

From John's Travel Map (above), it appears that only Bar Harbor and Halifax were worth visits. By the way John, the Bay of Funday is the body of water located between Saint John and Halifax.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Could be good lobster water. What do you think?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Allergic to all shellfish, so I wouldn't claim to be in the know but the geographic location looks to be pretty darned good to me. As Brigitte pointed out, I doubt there is a line across the ocean floor for the lobsters to determine if they are crossing out of the Premier Gated Waters of Maine.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 pm

cheenagringo - I guess I forgot to add those. A senior moment since it was so long ago. Been to New Brunswick, PEI and been to Nova Scotia at least 3 times. Did every route in NS and especially liked Peggy's Cove. Always had 2 cameras around my neck. My Dad had a boat built in Digby, NS. We went to see the progress many years ago. Just went thru all my old slides to save the best. Threw away about 5,000 slides.

Also, went thru my old foto albums. Kept my best pics, including when my Mom and Dad were dating in the early 40's. I donated the albums to the School for the Deaf with pics still in them. Mexico trip still in there from 1971.

Did quite a bit of travelling when I was younger, but not as much as the World travellers I have met in Ajijic.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 pm

A couple of lifetimes ago when I was a Mormon missionary in Sydney NS, i was friends with a lobster fisherman. He always saved the prize catch for his family. I munched lobster at his table several times. Since then, every lobster I have eaten has been a disappointment.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Not a prejudice, a fact. The best that I've ever had came from the Bay of Fundy. They are getting record catches this year, but a lot are soft shelled.
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:34 pm

The best lobster tail I ever had in my life was in Puerto Rico. The lobster is mostly tail and soft as butter. And they are native to Puerto Rico - was very surprised - so they must do OK in warm water. I never saw a whole one but was told the claws are very small so they only served the tail.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Yes there is a Carribean Lobster.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 pm

...and the mention of Caribbean lobster is making my mouth water. On the other hand, we've eaten many an east coast lobster without any complaints (and not much conversation). My hubby always did say that heaven was a piece of tail.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Yes there is a Carribean Lobster.........

I believe you referr to " rock lobster " .... they have one almost nonexistant claw.... and usually big spotted tails...

on Isla Mujeres, I saw a fisherman getting out of his boat with one of these fellas.. he was holding it up and the tail was nearly on the ground... it must have been near 4 ft long!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I guess there wouldn't be much of a debate about Alaskan King Crab so I won't mention it but farmed Abalone now sells for over $100 U.S a pound and that's just crazy.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Does anyone know which day they get fresh fish? I stopped yesterday and they did not have much selection. I've seen a much better selection other days but don't remember when it was.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:32 pm

hockables wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yes there is a Carribean Lobster.........

I believe you referr to " rock lobster " .... they have one almost nonexistant claw.... and usually big spotted tails...

on Isla Mujeres, I saw a fisherman getting out of his boat with one of these fellas.. he was holding it up and the tail was nearly on the ground... it must have been near 4 ft long!!

Yes, also known as the spiny lobster and caribbean spiny lobster. Some of the biggest, and I think, best tasting lobster. They were cheap in the restaurants in the Dominican Republic.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 pm

By using Senor Google out of curiosity, a simplistic explanation is that there are two basic types of lobster:

"• Clawed Lobster – Clawed lobsters are generally divided into two categories: American Lobsters and European Lobsters. Those lobster-lovers who live in North America are most familiar with the American Lobster, which is harvested off the coast of Maine and other New England states as well as near Canada’s Atlantic Provinces such as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland. European Lobsters, as one might expect, are found in the waters of the eastern Atlantic Ocean from northwestern Norway all the way to Morocco and the Azores. They can also be found in the Mediterranean Sea west of Crete and sometimes in the Black Sea.

Both American and European clawed lobsters are of the cold water variety and thrive in chilly, shallow waters. American lobsters tend to be brown in color before they are cooked while the European variety is often blue. Both turn bright red after they are cooked.

In general, clawed lobsters have more meat than spiny lobsters and are the type that restaurant goers on the east coast of North America will most often find on menus. Much of their meat is found in their very large first set of legs/claws - those closest to the head. (They have 5 pairs of legs in all; the others are smaller.) Their tails don’t have as much meat as their spiny counterparts but tails from a Maine lobster are still considered to be the best and sweetest of all lobster meat.
[img]Fresh Seafood - Page 2 Maine-10[/img]

"• Spiny Lobsters – This kind of lobster is typically a warm water crustacean. Also known as rock lobsters and often indicated as such on a menu, this variety is found off the coast of California and often near Florida and in the waters of the Caribbean Sea. As a matter of fact, they are the biggest food export of the Islands of the Bahamas. They can also be found in the Mediterranean Sea and near Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and some other southeast Pacific islands, as well as along the coast of South Africa.

Physically, the Spiny Lobster looks different than the clawed lobster. The spiny variety has extremely long antennae, which helps it detect movement nearby, and –as the name indicates – it is covered with pointy spines to help protect it from predators. Unlike the American or European Lobster, these types of lobsters do not have large front claws but instead have five identical pair of legs. Because of that, most of the meat is found in the tail. "
[img]Fresh Seafood - Page 2 Spiny-10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next