INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATM fraud alive and well - be careful

+5
susan
brigitte
hound dog
CheenaGringo
simpsca
9 posters

Go down

ATM fraud alive and well - be careful Empty ATM fraud alive and well - be careful

Post by simpsca Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:32 pm

This onTOB - things quieted down for awhile but they are back:

My account was cleaned out at the Banamex ATM in Walmart. Due to the rash of ATM thefts last month, I took out all the cash except a few pesos, but when I went yesterday to see if my checks were in, my balance was zero. My balance has NEVER been zero, nor have I used my card anywhere else.

I think I know how the scam goes down. When I went to the ATM about 3pm, there was an armed guard standing there and the ATM said out of order. But there was no one else. Usually there are two or three? My guess is that he was the culprit.

I think that Walmart, a store, the bank has an obligation to check these guys out since they have allowed them to put an ATM on their premice and they should photograph and fingerprint everyone in touch with the ATM’s. It would only take a second but they would have a record of anyone messing with the ATM. I think it would deter the bad guys if they get their picture taken.

Actually, the public should get involved and if you see an armed guard by an ATM, take their picture with your phone, just in case. There is no law against it.

What I don’t know is if they got my checks. I am sure that they got the small one but will have to check to see if they got my SS check. I am going to notify Walmart, Banamex and my bank, but if they got all my checks, I am going to have to sell stuff and definitely could use some help as I won’t have rent.

Thanks and be careful.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

ATM fraud alive and well - be careful Empty Re: ATM fraud alive and well - be careful

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Before one goes blasting this particular incident all over the forums, you may wish to consider if this may just be a scam. As someone (forum member on this forum) pointed out, there are some things about this report that don't seem to be ringing true. Take a look at the poster's previous posts re: liquidation sales and supposed involvement in a new bar. Also examine the fact that the poster in his very first post mentioned possibly needing help.

Sometimes, things are not what they appear to be on the surface!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

ATM fraud alive and well - be careful Empty Re: ATM fraud alive and well - be careful

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Well said, Neil. This story is so full of holes that anyone taking it seriously should have his/her head examined if anyone can examine an empty noggin.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:53 pm

This woman said she took all of her money but a few pesos...so naturally she would not have any money in her account...after that she went to different banks to try to draw money but her account was zero everywhere...duh.. What am I missing?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 pm

if you re read the post you will see that the person was expecting checks. & it looks like the check $ was taken out after they withdrew most of the remaining balance. the only thing which sounds strange is that s.s. checks usually come on the 1st 2nd or 3rd of the month(?), or is this post 3 weeks old? or is this person from canada? i dont know the system there.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:46 pm

susan wrote:if you re read the post you will see that the person was expecting checks. & it looks like the check $ was taken out after they withdrew most of the remaining balance. the only thing which sounds strange is that s.s. checks usually come on the 1st 2nd or 3rd of the month(?), or is this post 3 weeks old? or is this person from canada? i dont know the system there.
My check is deposited on the 3rd Wednesday of the Month. I use a mail forwarding address, and SS maintains a US mailing address for me (and others that choose to give SS a mail forwarding address like HandyMail) - The dates you mention apply to those that give SS a Mexican address.
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:44 am

If you live out of country ALL SS checks are deposited into your US bank account on the 3rd of every month.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 am

As John says, if you have a U.S. bank account and live in Mexico or another approved country, the SSA electronically deposits your monthly benefit on the third day of each month or sooner if the third day is a non-business day. It would scare the hell out of me to have checks mailed to me in Mexico even by a mail forwarding service. The OP´s story still makes little sense to me unless the poster is simply claiming to be broke and asking for financial help to pay the rent.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelM Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:32 am

I asked a friend, who is a financial advisor in a Canadian bank, about how this would work and he said it is very unlikely that it could happen as described. The most common ATM fraud is a "repeater" fraud which occurs immediately after you have used an ATM and, while it needs some kind of an electronic gizmo, or immediate access to the ATM, it does not require actual possession of your card. In this case, the so-called crime happened some time after access to a machine and would have involved the criminal making frequent attempts to access the account to check if there was a balance.

RachelM

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:45 am

If she was expecting checks in her account she could go on line and see if checks were deposited and see if the money was withdrawn or not.
The story does not make sense. The lady is either a panicky confused old lady or trying to pull something herself.
If she goes to the MP with that story she will be laughed out of the building.
She does not know if there was fraud or not.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:14 am

"Lenny" is a newbie on TOB; profile doesn't say male or female or anything else.

It is not correct that all SS checks go out on the first or third of the month. It depends on your birthday. My husband's arrive on the second Wednesday of the month by automatic deposit to a U.S. bank.

My b.s. meter went off re Lenny's post. Something about needing to sell things to pay the rent did the trick. Maybe I just have an overly suspicious mind, but the whole story seemed very odd.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Lenny says he is a man and is advertising for a roomate on TOB. He is looking for someone to rent him a room for a couple of months.
Not an old lady after all.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:59 pm

he is telling the truth. he withdrew his cash. later when the SS check was directly deposited, the SS money was taken. if the check arrives @ different times, it all makes sense. he is looking for a roommate AND selling things, it seems true. not all posts sound clear when a person was robbed. the bank should re-inburse him and the SS should be notified. why are people using ATMs?

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:08 pm

How do you know he was talking about Social Security?
By the way he is also looking for a ride to Austin from a woman who is looking for a woman rider.
It all seems true all right but I would not trust him as far as I can spit.Just me.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:17 pm

You're quite right.......those checks may come from another source.

I'm with you.......about trusting him. Not.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:59 pm

gringal wrote:"Lenny" is a newbie on TOB; profile doesn't say male or female or anything else.

It is not correct that all SS checks go out on the first or third of the month. It depends on your birthday. My husband's arrive on the second Wednesday of the month by automatic deposit to a U.S. bank.

My b.s. meter went off re Lenny's post. Something about needing to sell things to pay the rent did the trick. Maybe I just have an overly suspicious mind, but the whole story seemed very odd.

I just checked the SS websites. You are correct according to their
"screwed up" website. Our birthdays are on Dec. 5th and February 25th of the month. Both checks arrive in our account on the 3rd day of the month. As usual, the US Gov't is "screwed up".
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down