INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism

+13
awana
susan
drmike
Mainecoons
hockables
viajero
Zedinmexico
Solovino
gringal
ferret
raqueteer
CanuckBob
hound dog
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism Empty CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

At times Dawg is amazed at the irresponsibility of some members of the Canadian media to the point that I believe some in their typical audience may suffer from paranoia and, just as an aside, I have been a subscriber to Canada´s Shaw Direct for some eight years now as well as Telecable in Ajijic and Megacable in Chiapas and I watch the news, among other programs, on all three services plus we Google news every morning and read several newspapers on line.

On Google this morning, I found an article published by CTV News Winnipeg entitled Surveillance Videos May Give to Mexico Beating which was really primarily just a recap of that terrible incident in Mazatlan where a Calgary woman was horribly beaten in a luxury hotel in that city.

In the body of that article, the reader was advised among other things that:

" ...(a security consultant based in Mexico City advises that) Mazatlan is on the iffy side and Acapulco, definitely, you do not want to go there right now (Dawg wold certainly agree with the latter assertion). Other areas considered violent and generally unsafe for tourists include Veracruz, Huatulco, Ciudad Juarez, Guadalajara, Chihuahua and Jalisco (emphasis mine). Travelers can head to many areas including Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta (which Dawg always thought to be in Jalisco), Mexico City and Los Cabos without worry...."

My, how far we have come when travelers are advised to avoid Jalisco and go to safe Mexico City. Do you suppose the author of this article has ever been ten kilometers out of Winnipeg? Isn´t that Canadian province where Winnipeg is located famous for its rodeos and Three Dog Nights in the winter? Maybe that would explain why so many Canadians come down here and risk their lives (just under two million a year according to CTV Winnipeg) rather than freeze their tails off in Manitoba and other provinces during the winter drear.

The Canadian press seems a bit provincial for a country which, in urban areas at least, is relatively cosmopolitan. So is the press in the U.S. but they have their hands full reporting on local crime. The press in Chiapas is so provincial they don´t even report local news except for chamber of commerce meetings.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism Empty Re: CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 am

Well at least you can watch the hockey games with that Shaw Satellite system, Mr. Dawg.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism Empty Re: CTV NEWS - Irresponsible journalism

Post by raqueteer Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am

The Canadian Press is beyond irresponsible, beyond provincial and beyond redemption.

There was a most interesting episode several years back in Manitoba, here's the deal, of course not very many talk about this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tim_McLean

Mind you the Canadian Press has, since the episode conveniently left out the cannibalization bit. Presumably just too horrific for Canadians to read. They can however revel in tales of Mexico.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am

[quote="CanuckBob"]Well at least you can watch the hockey games with that Shaw Satellite system, Mr. Dawg.[/quote]

Actually, CB, Dawg is addicted not to hocky but to curling so there must be some Canadian blood in the family before they had the good sense to move to warm, sunny Alabama after arriving in Quebec from Scotland escaping Brit oppression and having been offered some dreadful concoction called something like "boutine" which is, apparently, the quintessential Quebecois cuisine and which resembles, more than anything Dawg has ever observed or consumed, Hamburger Helper with Heinz 57 Sauce and marshmallows in bechamel covered in Del Monte Catsup. It is clear to Dawg that the only way Quebec became populated with Europeans is that the alternative was for them to have remained in France and have been eviscerated or beheaded. A fine reason to emigrate if there ever was one.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 am

All press is irresponsible...that's why I call them all pimps 'cuz they're just out to make a buck. Outrageous headlines on Page One...retractions on page 22.
They're Press Pimps...pp's if you like 'cuz they piss on people's right to the truth.

And that would be "Poutine" Dawg. French fries covered in gravy and melted cheese.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 am

Ferret: Are you speaking of Canadian nachos?

Agree about the press. Ho's all. The retractions are usually hidden, and in fine print.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 am

Dawg, gimme a break somebody who is addicted to moon pies and R.C. cola can hardly cast aspersions on fries gravy and cheese. French Canadian cuisine it is not. It is however comfort food, along the lines of a delicious mac and cheese, homemade with a butter crumb topping.
Curling????? The one and only attraction that holds is the consumption of massive quantities of Canadian Club, or other tipple of choice, in order to avoid terminal boredom.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:37 am

LOL! Canadian Nachos it is!
I actually like to watch curling...sort of like pool on ice.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 am

raqueteer wrote:Dawg, gimme a break somebody who is addicted to moon pies and R.C. cola can hardly cast aspersions on fries gravy and cheese. French Canadian cuisine it is not. It is however comfort food, along the lines of a delicious mac and cheese, homemade with a butter crumb topping.
Curling????? The one and only attraction that holds is the consumption of massive quantities of Canadian Club, or other tipple of choice, in order to avoid terminal boredom.

OK, raqueteer, Poutine is comfort food for Quebecios so, since you have enlightened me on that subject, it is time to define Alabama comfort food which, as in Quebec, is not the definitive cusiine any more than Poutine is "French Canadian" food (as I am sure you know, the RC & a Moon Pie is meant to be amusing but Poutine is not at all funny):

ALABAMA POST FOOTBALL GAME HIGH CUISINE (HOPEFULLY FOLLOWED BY A NEW SEXUAL EXPERIENCE GREASED BY THE TIDE´S HAVING WON THE GAME)

One entire bottle (what we used to call a fifth) of Ron Barcardi or more to taste. Never less. You may substitute Early Times or 100 Proof Wild Turkey Bourbon.
A dozen six ounce Coca Colas in glass bottles.
A dozen or so limes (optional).
50 to 100 or more CHEESE SLIDERS from the nearest Krystal Burger Joint in Downtown Birmingham (if in Cincinnati or some other midwestern bunghole, White Castle Sliders).
A dozen or more Krispy Kreme raspberry or custard filled donuts.

Sweet oblivion.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:16 pm

hound dog wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Dawg, gimme a break somebody who is addicted to moon pies and R.C. cola can hardly cast aspersions on fries gravy and cheese. French Canadian cuisine it is not. It is however comfort food, along the lines of a delicious mac and cheese, homemade with a butter crumb topping.

OK, raqueteer, Poutine is comfort food for Quebecios so, since you have enlightened me on that subject, it is time to define Alabama comfort food which, as in Quebec, is not the definitive cusiine any more than Poutine is "French Canadian" food (as I am sure you know, the RC & a Moon Pie is meant to be amusing but Poutine is not at all funny):

ALABAMA POST FOOTBALL GAME HIGH CUISINE (HOPEFULLY FOLLOWED BY A NEW SEXUAL EXPERIENCE GREASED BY THE TIDE´S HAVING WON THE GAME)

One entire bottle (what we used to call a fifth) of Ron Barcardi or more to taste. Never less. You may substitute Early Times or 100 Proof Wild Turkey Bourbon.
50 to 100 or more CHEESE SLIDERS from the nearest Krystal Burger Joint in Downtown Birmingham (if in Cincinnati or some other midwestern bunghole, White Castle Sliders).

Sweet oblivion.

Forget curling. After all of that you'll be hurling like champions.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm

hound dog wrote:

Sweet oblivion.

Is that per person, or to be shared with any potential post game sexual conquests?

In Canada we have Harvey's hamburgers, their advertisement. "Harvey's makes a hamburger a beautiful thing". BTW I have never seen a Harvey's advertisement, they don't have to. Everyone knows.

Canada, does not to my knowledge permit you to bring your own alcoholic beverages to games. So, the Canadian version is fruit injected with alcohol, the more the better. The syringe is available at any gourmet shop, used for injecting flavor and or butter into one's food. This by the way is a very old trick started by my esteemed father wee Dave of drinking infamy. Wee Dave didn't give a rat's who won. His own victory was assured well before the game started, with a few very hefty pre-game cocktails.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Sorry but just saw a Harvey's commercial on a sat station. Obviously
they think they need to advertise now. Being from PNW US did not know
about them. Still trying to figure out the overly advertised Tim Horton ads.
Is this the Canadian Duncan Donuts we have in US? So what was so
special about Harveys? I only miss Trader Joes in US, don't miss anything
else.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Is that per person, or to be shared with any potential post game sexual conquests?

He/she must earn her sliders but the booze and the old in-and-out are shared copiously precedent to his/her having earned the distinction of deserving of cheese sliders. Dawg understands that rum and bourbon are generally available to any fartblossom who can lift a glass but Sliders are a unique treat only to be shared among the cognoscenti.

After a bottle of booze, one may not notice the sex or sexual proclivities of one´s sexual partner but one always knows a slider.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 pm

@ZED...SACRILEGE! Tim Horton's is NOT Dunkin' Donuts!!!
Harvey's burgers are flame broiled and toppings are customized to what you want on your burger. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Raqueteer we used to inject watermelons with massive amounts of vodka before going the stadiums in LA.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Right on Chris, so did my Dad years back, but these days they probably wouldn't let you in with something that large.

Back to the crime.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/01/24/mexico-ontario-couple.html?cmp=rss

There are some really interesting comments under the article. Most are the usual bla bla sheeple comments however I found a couple of good ones.

Like this:

Well another day of nonsense seems to be before us reguarding how unsafe it is to visit Mexico. Yes another day of discussing approx 20 Canadians tourists over the last 5 years being directly effected by crime in mexico of the close to 7 million who have visited there in that time. Forget that silly 112 number you hear as that number even includes things such as suicide and home invasions of people living there from Canada.
I can assure you there is a reason that mexico is having trouble buliding hotels fast enough to keep up with the demand of canadians and why their prices continue to soar. Its because canadians who have been there understand that there is much more concern visiting Toronto for a weekend (where there have been over 250 murders in that same 5 year span), than a 7 day visit to mexico. Lets keep these things in context folks.

Plus, just who was this woman in the bar with since her husband claims to have been sleeping until 6 a.m.?

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Dawg.... newsnet is more on the ball than yer Yanqui Shit... CNN and FOX...
snork....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 am

You know, it never fails to amaze me that people who would never go to obviously dangerous bars or buy drugs from obviously dangerous people at home, think they can come down here and do it without risk. If you factor out the tourists who have been robbed, hurt and/or killed engaging in risky behavior, my guess would be that traveling in Mexico is probably no more dangerous than using one's bath tub.

No data to support this, just an impression from the tourist crime victim reports that most get into trouble in this way.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 am

ferret wrote:@ZED...SACRILEGE! Tim Horton's is NOT Dunkin' Donuts!!!
Harvey's burgers are flame broiled and toppings are customized to what you want on your burger. :)

Ok to I violated some secret canadian moral code by putting DD and TH in one sentence. Why is TH better than DD?

Ok so Burger king is flame broiled and you can get it like you want also so what is special about Harvey since BK for
me is a no go?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:30 am

Mainecoons wrote:You know, it never fails to amaze me that people who would never go to obviously dangerous bars or buy drugs from obviously dangerous people at home, think they can come down here and do it without risk. If you factor out the tourists who have been robbed, hurt and/or killed engaging in risky behavior, my guess would be that traveling in Mexico is probably no more dangerous than using one's bath tub.

No data to support this, just an impression from the tourist crime victim reports that most get into trouble in this way.

I'm figuring that you just hit the nail on the head MC. Let's consider the guy also staying at the same resort, who went out for dinner (5* all inclusive) then left the restaurant for some unknown reason, conveniently can't remember why he went out, and allegedly got his head smashed in. Claims the police and or ambulance wouldn't come???? Huh. But why keep you guys in suspense here's a video and the whole story.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/01/24/mexico-ontario-couple.html?cmp=rss

Of course, also conveniently, none of this ever appeared in the papers back then when it happened.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 am

I tried to drink Southern Comfort like Janis Joplin did, but I threw up!
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
ferret wrote:@ZED...SACRILEGE! Tim Horton's is NOT Dunkin' Donuts!!!

Ok to I violated some secret canadian moral code by putting DD and TH in one sentence. Why is TH better than DD?

Ok so Burger king is flame broiled and you can get it like you want also so what is special about Harvey since BK for
me is a no go?

Z

Harvey's 100% Canadian...http://www.harveys.ca/eng/our_story.php
Tim Horton's...started out 100% Canadian and is now back to being 100% Canadian...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons
I guess it's all about the "tastes" that you've had for a long time...someone, somewhere else compared it to "mom's lasagna or meatloaf or whatever". And, being a proud Canadian, I'm kinda proud that they're Canadian too. And, being a Canadian, I can tell you that for 6 months of the year the weather sucks...makes ya tough though.:)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 pm

racqueter, re read the article. you are the one who conveniently twists facts. the man had dinner, went to the bathroom, the went outside the restaurant to see some vendors wares for a few minutes before returning to the dinner. he was hit over the head & never made it back inside the restaurant. when he woke up many days later, he remembered going to the bathroom but blocked out the rest. who hit him? why? the wallet was still there. maybe the press did not find out about this untill later.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 pm

in additional: the girl who was hospitalized for shock, (not related, but in the comments section), had her values stolen from her room. you conveniently skip the bottom line. by the comments in that paper, seems canadians are realists. one commenter said "there are a lot of desperate people in mexico wanting to harm you" dont you think theres a just a bit of truth to that statement? even in your electrified paradise? stay behind the fence, & stop judging other people. & stop rationalizing your choices & decisions. those canadians who wrote into the paper are smarter than you.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by awana Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 am

Dawg, it's interesting that you say.. " Dawg is addicted not to hocky but to curling so there must be some Canadian blood in the family before they had the good sense to move to warm, sunny Alabama after arriving in Quebec from Scotland escaping Brit oppression".

Is it possible that you were part of Le Grand Derangement of 1755–1763, when following the French and Indian War, British colonial officers and New England legislators and militia carried out that Great Deportation of 11,500 Acadians from the Lower Canada region. Approximately one-third perished from disease and drowning after being loaded on ships and deported to Louisiana where they became know as Cajuns and others moved to places like Alabama.
But again maybe not, if so, you would know that the real Poutine is a mixture of well done French fries, excellent rich gravy and curds... certainly not cheese.

awana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next